The Tale Of 3 Tweeters

Options
12346»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The dome materials are NOT the same, not one single piece of Polk literature refers to the SL2500 as a tri-laminate and the ferrofuild is exactly the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I can, but I've got better things to do, so you'll be waiting a very long time. How about you prove they are different. Prove to us that you're an engineer and not the blowhard you've shown us here. Go ahead, do it!

As for the dome materials, they are NOT the same. Your first clue should have been the fact they don't even look the same. The SL3000 was primarily silver colored. The SL2500 is black.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    lntft4gux0q2.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    SoundMann1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    As for the dome materials, they are NOT the same. Your first clue should have been the fact they don't even look the same. The SL3000 was primarily silver colored. The SL2500 is black.

You are a VERY SLOW LEARNER!

Maybe so, but I get it right the first time. You aren't so lucky.

So, are you going to prove to us the ferrofuild is different or are you going to continue side stepping, deflecting and generally getting everything wrong? I'm betting you'll do the latter.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited July 2018
    Options
    gwc394h2w3yk.gif
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Maybe so, but I get it right the first time. You aren't so lucky.

So far, I have been proven 100% right! You are batting a big fat ZERO!

You are delusional. The facts prove you wrong, yet you continue to ignore them. Not very engineer like. Of course, you aren't one to begin with.

Please keep digging, I find someone like you quite amusing. Sort of like toying with a cat by dragging a string on the ground and leading them head first into a wall.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    gwevdhxhy24v.gif

• F1nut
    Options
    So, are you going to prove to us the ferrofuild is different or are you going to continue side stepping, deflecting and generally getting everything wrong? I'm betting you'll do the latter.

Wrong again! The SL3000 is clearly advertised as having a special low viscosity ferrofluid!

The SL2500 behaves like a tweeter with conventional ferrofluid!

From Polk literature......
    The voice coil, wound around an aluminum voice coil former, is cooled by an exotic ULV (ultra-low viscocity) magnetic fluid. This material, which has a viscocity close to that of water, enables the SL2500 to exceed normal listening levels without loss of performance or reliability.

Funny watching you run head first into that wall again and again and again and.......

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    In England, the game known in America as "Clue" is called "Cluedo".

xt8bii3bhvnw.jpg
    86hubcycj4bp.jpg
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    The most entertaining thread in quite a while.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    From Polk literature......
    The voice coil, wound around an aluminum voice coil former, is cooled by an exotic ULV (ultra-low viscocity) magnetic fluid. This material, which has a viscocity close to that of water, enables the SL2500 to exceed normal listening levels without loss of performance or reliability.

Funny watching you run head first into that wall again and again and again and.......

Since you have yet to post anything of verifiable value, you will have to prove that the above quote exists concerning the tweeter in question!

The quote F1nut referenced is from page 3 of a brochure on the Monitor 2 series speakers. You can read the brochure in its entirety here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/7/5/0/2/39195.pdf

Quoting more extensively from the Monitor 2 Series brochure:

"Featured in the Monitor 4.6, 5jr+, 5, 7, 10 and 12, the SL 2500 tweeter makes a major contribution to the improved performance of the Monitor Series 2. Sharing much of the technology of the incomparable SL 3000 tweeter used in the Polk Flagship SRS series, the SL 2500 is a highly refined refined, technically advanced driver.

The voice coil, wound around an aluminum voice coil former, is cooled by an exotic ULV (ultra low viscosity) magnetic fluid. This material, which has a viscosity close to that of water, enables the SL 2500 to exceed normal listening levels without loss of performance or reliability."

I find it odd that the term "Tri-Laminate" is conspicuously absent from the brochure's description of the SL2500 tweeter, even though it says the SL2500 shares much of the SL3000's technology. The only place the term "trilaminate" is used in the brochure is on page 5, when giving a description of the midbass driver:

"Polk's high performance 6 1/2" midbass driver is used in each Monitor Series 2 Loudspeaker. Its proprietary trilaminate polymer diaphram structure offers excellent transient response and near absence of midrange coloration."

The defining technical aspect of the SL3000 tweeter is it's Tri-Laminate dome structure. I find it odd that Polk would mention that the SL2500 and SL3000 use the same ULV cooling fluid, but neglected to mention that the SL2500 and SL3000 also shared the same Tri-Laminate dome structure...if indeed they did

On which credible source did you base this comment?:

"The SL2500 behaves like a tweeter with conventional ferrofluid!"

Further, on which credible source do you base your belief that the SL 2500 is a TL tweeter?

At this point, I don't know whether the SL 2500 is a TL tweeter or not. That is why I requested clarification from Polk.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Soundman
    If you ever sell those speakers please disclose your modifications and this thread

I would add the zobel capacitor before then.

The 5.8uf shunt cap creates a Contour Network, not a Zobel.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    The marketing brochure for the RTA TL series (RTA 15TL, RTA 11TL, and RTA 8TL) raves about the SL3000 Tri-Laminate tweeter used in the RTA 15TL and RTA 11TL, but says nothing about the SL2500 tweeter used in the RTA 8TL. Polk was obviously proud of its Tri-Laminate tweeter technology, so why the silent treatment about the SL2500 tweeter?

If the SL2500 is not a Tri-Laminate tweeter, what about the RTA 8TL makes it a TL series speaker?

All you have to do is to compare the 2 tweeters side-by-side to see that the diaphragms are indeed the same composite.

I surmise that the only real difference is the type of Ferrofluid they use.

You were certainly and unequivocally wrong about the SL2500 and SL3000 using different types of ferrofluid.

I do not have an SL2500 to compare side-by-side to an SL3000. Have you done a hands on side-by-side visual comparison of the SL2500 and SL3000?

The cover page of the Monitor 2 series brochure shows a closeup of the Monitor 12 Series 2's SL2500 tweeter. That tweeter does not have the glossy metallic appearance of the SL3000's dome. It has the "matte-finish" and woven textile structure similar to the appearance of the silk domes of the RD0 series tweeters. However, that woven structure might be a reflection of the fabric ring surrounding the dome.

I have found some other pictures of the SL2500 from various sources on the Internet, but I can't say for certain that the SL2500's dome looks just like the SL3000's.

I love a good mystery.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just want to know when the magnet falls apart.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    The most entertaining thread in quite a while.

All it lacks is a sidebar black paint discussion.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    If I was Soundmann1, I'd just drop it because you have been pwned. They brought the facts and you brought the hot aire. What types of products do you engineer? I'd prefer to avoid those products. If it was this easy to debunk your claims, I don't want to use anything you've engineered.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If I was Soundmann1, I'd just drop it because you have been pwned. They brought the facts and you brought the hot aire. What types of products do you engineer? I'd prefer to avoid those products. If it was this easy to debunk your claims, I don't want to use anything you've engineered.

H9

Shut your filthy, lying mouth!

Someone's testy this morning. Don't let the facts get in the way of the delusions.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited July 2018
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

That is completely uncalled for!! ANY credibility you may of had just was flushed with that comment.
    Feel free to edit your post but my quote of your post will live on and show your true self!
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
This discussion has been closed.