My polk magnificent max Sr surround on rear right is making loud crackling popping noises.

I unplugged and plugged back in and right now seems to be working. Please advise on what I can do.

Answers

• KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,531
    Hello,
    Polk is aware of the problem and is working on a solution that will correct the problem. This will be done via a firmware update so make sure you have connected your bar to the Internet. If the surround noises are too bothersome, unplug them until the issue is straightened out.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
  • bitzbitz Posts: 2
    I read the new firmware update was already out? This has been an ongoing issue for alot of customers. So how long will we have to wait. I don't want my warranty to run out while Polk is trying to figure this problem out. What happens then?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,232
    It's unfortunate and disappointing to me that for as much energy, time, and money that Polk is going through as they are trying to push their wireless lifestyle products, they're still plagued by these seemingly solvable issues.
    Got Dayens?
  • tpoptpop Posts: 2
    Frustrating I’m having same issues now my is not turning on just blinking lights.
  • OT8381OT8381 Posts: 2
    Same problem here. Installed latest firmware but popping continues
  • MPAGAMPAGA Posts: 2
    Ive had mine for a month a half. Rear speaker seem to be fine. But sub pops. I read on another webpage to move the sub further away from soundbar. I had mine next to tv and soundbar. I moved across the room and put in corner next to sofa. It works much better.. Played video games for 3 hours pop free. It did act up a little today. Unplugging and plugging seemed to help for awhile. Maybe this will help some. Ill never buy Polk again though. Im still on 79 update. Im afraid to update because of the connectivity peoblems people are now having after update. They need to issue a recall on these. Im writing to consumer reports. Good luck people!
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    MPAGA wrote: »
    Ive had mine for a month a half. Rear speaker seem to be fine. But sub pops. I read on another webpage to move the sub further away from soundbar. I had mine next to tv and soundbar. I moved across the room and put in corner next to sofa. It works much better.. Played video games for 3 hours pop free. It did act up a little today. Unplugging and plugging seemed to help for awhile. Maybe this will help some. Ill never buy Polk again though. Im still on 79 update. Im afraid to update because of the connectivity peoblems people are now having after update. They need to issue a recall on these. Im writing to consumer reports. Good luck people!

I’m going to defend Polk here. What other brand would put so much time and effort in trying to get the soundbar to work correctly again without the consumer being forced to go through a recall? It may be necessary, but from my experience, I think that once Polk gets this thing figured out, that it will never happen again to any Polk product, because they know what to look for. And besides, when it does work (and soon that will be all the time!) it is the best on the market, ESPECIALLY for the money.
    Micah
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • MPAGAMPAGA Posts: 2
    At 600 bucks... They should get it right the first time.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 25
    At 600 bucks... They should get it right the first time.

Accidents happen during production, and, this is a (relatively speaking) VERY limited number of them that are doing this. There are hundreds of threads and comments about this, but don’t forget Polk has sold thousands, probably even tens of thousands. And it seems to be caused by outside interaction of other devices, or by the source material, and not a actual defect.
    Micah
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • henningehenninge Posts: 45
    There is ZERO chance Polk had sold tens of thousands of this unit. I would love to know the numbers. It's out of stock numerous places. My guess is because they aren't working properly, not because of demand. Feel free to show us actual numbers from somewhere as opposed to guessing.

It's an unusable product right now. I'd guess most people who have issues don't even know there is this forum.
    Hello,
    Polk is aware of the problem and is working on a solution that will correct the problem. This will be done via a firmware update so make sure you have connected your bar to the Internet. If the surround noises are too bothersome, unplug them until the issue is straightened out.

I appreciate all the efforts you do for this issue. Not sure why someone from Polk isn't dealing with it directly on here, BUT unplugging the speaker is truly a sign of how **** the problem is. Maybe they fix it in 10 months of a 12 month warranty - then what? Things sold at a store are assumed to work, no? Or is that just crazy talk by me?

Did you write to anybody?
  • joesephKjoesephK Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum, but I noticed no one has left any update in a while on these posts regarding issues with the max sr , so I figure I chime in with my latest experience. I have been having issues for a while... everything from chirps to pops, to a high pitch noise in the sub at one point... but I think Polk finally got it right with the latest firmware 103. I have been running it for roughly a week and have had zero issues. and I swear it sounds better too and maybe has something to do with the improved wireless performance? idk, i'd say if you guys haven't yet to go and check it out
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,531
    Thanks for posting your results, I'm glad things are sounding better.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot