To strap or not to strap

Hello polkies! My question is will my 3.1tl’s benefit if I strap my audiosource amp? Or will it not make a difference since the amp is common ground already?

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,572
    Do not worry about tying the grounds together. It will not make a difference and may damage the amp or speakers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• SchurkeySchurkey Posts: 1,757
    Hello polkies! My question is will my 3.1tl’s benefit if I strap my audiosource amp? Or will it not make a difference since the amp is common ground already?
    If you improve the ground connection, for example from 3 ohms to 0.1 ohm, you would have a performance improvement for the SDA circuit. Probably audible, although I've never tested to see how much resistance is acceptable. I know that 20 ohms made my 1Bs unlistenable--but I don't know about 3 ohms, or one ohm.
    Do not worry about tying the grounds together. It will not make a difference and may damage the amp or speakers.
    If it's a common-ground amp or semi-common ground, there's no downside. Even non-bridged/balanced monoblocs can be tied together (Adcom 565 monoblocs, for example.)

If it's a bridged/balanced amp, yeah--bad things will happen.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,538
    Elvis says not to strap.

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,611
    Strapping grounds raises the noise floor. Since your amp is already common ground there is no reason or benefit from strapping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."