Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Nope, I'm thinking Vera-Ellen
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^Oh yes, she was hot.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited June 2018
    It could've been worse ;)
    lightman1 wrote: »

Edit: Boogered up the quote thing.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    All my friends have my gear...

I don't have any of your gear! ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    halo wrote: »
    All my friends have my gear...

I don't have any of your gear! ;)

What's your address? B) I'll find something in St Lou that you can store for me
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Sounded good on the exercise record, with no noticeable channel imbalance, so I decided to try it on my least favorite song on The Beatles 67-70 (I Am The Walrus) and the night when it sounded perfect on that, I played Penny Lane, and it sounded perfect on that as we’ll. All that to say, IT WORKS!! and sounds good!
    Thanks all for your help, and especially to Dromunds for giving me the cart in the first place,
    Micah

I'm glad to hear that the cart works. Maybe, don't be so quick to assume that it isn't functioning any longer just because something like this happened? In the future, try to calmly evaluate the situation before you declare it a total loss. I am sure a few folks on the forum are glad to read that this turned out ok after their blood pressure got a little elevated.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    halo wrote: »
    Sounded good on the exercise record, with no noticeable channel imbalance, so I decided to try it on my least favorite song on The Beatles 67-70 (I Am The Walrus) and the night when it sounded perfect on that, I played Penny Lane, and it sounded perfect on that as we’ll. All that to say, IT WORKS!! and sounds good!
    Thanks all for your help, and especially to Dromunds for giving me the cart in the first place,
    Micah

I'm glad to hear that the cart works. Maybe, don't be so quick to assume that it isn't functioning any longer just because something like this happened? In the future, try to calmly evaluate the situation before you declare it a total loss. I am sure a few folks on the forum are glad to read that this turned out ok after their blood pressure got a little elevated.

Well, I knew it would make sound, but I thoughts it was bent to a point where it would ruin the record and sound bad. i Didn’t think about testing it until it was suggested by you guys.
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    ;):p:)B)

I'm happy all turned out well for sure!

Some might've thrown that working cartridge out before inspecting further. I'm glad you didn't Micah!

If only some of our mishaps in our lives could've been just an illusion and misjudged interpretation like Micah's just was and they turned out to be nothing but a scare.

I'd be a lot wealthier if mishaps around me were just illusions. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »
    ;):p:)B)

I'm happy all turned out well for sure!

Some might've thrown that working cartridge out before inspecting further. I'm glad you didn't Micah!

I’m too cheap for that :tongue::wink:
    "Tony wrote:

If only some of our mishaps in our lives could've been just an illusion and misjudged interpretation like Micah's just was and they turned out to be nothing but a scare.

I'd be a lot wealthier if mishaps around me were just illusions. ;)

I agree. A few weeks ago the AC broke in our house, and if that was just an illusion, that would’ve been awesome.
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    So I played a record this morning, and there seems to be a fluttering sound in vocals and really any note or sound that last longer than a split second. I can’t figure out what it is, but I know it is something to do with the turntable, because when I brought my fathers turntable upstairs to test it the problem was gone. I don’t believe this to be a rumble like what was mentioned in the other thread, because my Technics has a built in gimbal and my fathers Luxman doesn’t. It does it with the cover both on and off. I didn’t try a different cartridge because I don’t have a different cartridge to try it with.
    Any ideas what this is? It only happens in mid to high frequencies, I can’t hear anything wrong in the low end.
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    Ok so this is totally strange. I just tried to replicate the issue to see if I could see anything wrong, and everything is working perfectly. Same exact circumstances, except now it’s raining outside, which seems like the opposite of how it should work. Super confused.
    5 minutes later: Now it’s back. :confused: stopped raining at this point I don’t know why that makes a difference?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    edited July 2018
    wow and flutter? edit: can't find any good links.
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »

I didn’t have time to deal with it this morning, but now that I do, its more of a screechy noise in the background, just slightly off tune of the original sound. It’s happening on every record, although less so on some. But I first noticed in on my brand new copy of Abbey Road, and this is the third time I’ve played it. And it’s a 180 gram record, which should wear better, right? Is this just an inherent thing with vinyl which I just haven’t noticed before?
  • mhardy6647
    Sounds like flutter :)

Is your tt belt or direct drive?
    If the former, could be the belt or the surfaces that the belt contact. In the latter case, cleaning the pulleys (e.g., with alcohol); in the former case, replace belt :)

If it's direct drive, speed fluctuation can be an electronic problem, but sometimes (e.g., on the Technics turntables) the speed adjustment pots can get noisy. Actually, this is also true for many adjustable speed belt drive tts, too (particularly, I suspect, those with frequency generator servo motors). Many of the tts have two sets of speed adjustments -- the ones on the top deck which are user accessible, and often (at least on many Technics models) another pair "inside". A service manual can address what you're dealing with. Generally, cleaning the pots in the usual fashion can mitigate the issue -- although, in fariness, the symptoms are usually in the slower-period kind of pitch change called wow in my experience.

In the case of pretty much any tt, speed fluctuations can also be caused by, shall we say, an inappropriately lubricated platter bearing. Generally, the problem is too
    little lubricant, but sometimes too much or the wrong kind of lubricant can cause issues, too. Some tts are phenomenally picky about platter bearing lubrication (the Thorens TD-124 and its kin come to mind), so following manufacturer's recommendation or internet wisdom ;) is generally a good idea.

Finally:

Sometimes speed fluctuation issues are endemic to a specific turntable and may not yield to remediation strategies :(

HTH, as they say :)
  • Clipdat
    AFAIK, the weight of the record has little to nothing to do with how quickly or slowly the grooves will wear. I believe it's more of a "marketing" approach toward the vinyl itself being thicker/heavier and thus somehow being higher quality. Again this is just off the top of my head, I could be wrong.

I don't think what you are experiencing is an "inherent thing" with vinyl. Backgrounds and information behind vocals/instruments should be black.
    And it’s a 180 gram record, which should wear better, right? Is this just an inherent thing with vinyl which I just haven’t noticed before?

• mhardy6647
    PS the acid test for speed fluctuations (both wow and flutter), in the absence of a dedicated test record, is usually a piano sustain.

The problem, of course, with any give record is that the original recording may have its own speed issues and/or any given pressing may have issues, e.g., with eccentricity that manifest themselves as pitch instability. :p

A purpose-made test record, one would hope, would be made and QC'd carefully enough for these 'confounding variables' not to be a problem! :)
  • mlistens03
    I have cleaned every switch and knob I could find inside my Technics. I don’t know if I said this in my original post, but it used to be very hard to set because if the dirty knobs, but once I got them there, it was perfectly fine.
    I have never lubricated the motor, what kind of lubricant would you recommend? Would GT85 work?
    Also, I don’t believe it to be a speed problem, because I can’t see any fluctuations of the strobe light with my eyes (I have really good eyesight) and there is no changes in pitch in the slightest bit.
    I didnt really know much about wow and flutter, but after reading about it, I think thats what it may be, although there is no indication of changes in speed.
    I’ll record a video and post it. Be back in a few minutes.
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    flutter probably wouldn't be detectable by the strobe due to the persistence of vision (which is about 1/30th of a second... which I am pretty sure you knew!). One's ear can detect flutter much better -- unfortunately. The strobe is a pretty blunt tool.

I dunno about motor lubrication --- as I said, I'd be worried about the platter bearing first (but I could well be wrong).

Of course, if it's direct drive, it is one in the same, isn't it? ;)
  • mlistens03
    https://youtu.be/oV_ojTMpav4
    SO here is the video of the problem. The mic I am using is in my tablet, so it’s not the best, but that hissing kind of sound was in real life, not caused by the microphone, although it was made at least 2x louder in the video than IRL.
  • mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    flutter probably wouldn't be detectable by the strobe due to the persistence of vision (which is about 1/30th of a second... which I am pretty sure you knew!). One's ear can detect flutter much better -- unfortunately. The strobe is a pretty blunt tool.

I dunno about motor lubrication --- as I said, I'd be worried about the platter bearing first (but I could well be wrong).

Of course, if it's direct drive, it is one in the same, isn't it? ;)

Good to know about the strobe light.
    Exactly my thoughts, if they are in exactly the same place, why cant you call it either or? :tongue::wink:
    So do you guys think GT85 will work?
  • mlistens03
    I just checked the specs of my TT, the wow and flutter is 0.03% WRMS, (not sure what that stands for...), which is a pretty low number, correct? And a low number is a good thing, right?
  • Clipdat
    Is there that same hissing static sound happening on all records?
  • mlistens03
    Is there that same hissing static sound happening on all records?

Yes, but it seems to be louder on some than others. The two best ones are brand new, The very best being the record in the vid.
  • Clipdat
    To me it sounds like distortion. I don't think the issue lies with the turntable itself. Possibly the cartridge, or further up the stream, receiver/amp or cables.
  • mlistens03
    To me it sounds like distortion. I don't think the issue lies with the turntable itself. Possibly the cartridge, or further up the stream, receiver/amp or cables.

I will try this again with my Technics integrated, but I don’t know if it’ll change anything, because I listened to my new Lafayette all night last night (from about 5 to 10PM) and it sounded perfect then.
    I don’t know what I could have done to damage the cart and make it sound that way. I also doubt it’s the cables, cause although I know they are not good cables, they have never given me trouble like this before.
  • mlistens03
    Hooked up my Technics, and it’s playing now. DANG IT! it works! I know that should be a good thing, but im annoyed because my Lafayette is broken! :wink:
    Well, I guess that’s better than the turntable.
    Thanks for your help with this guys, I’m gonna pop the top on the Lafayette and see what I can find, if anything.
  • mlistens03
    f8o5laa4pll8.jpg
    Just a quick question, what does this switch do? Is that to switch between moving magnet/moving coil carts? If so, it was set to “LO”, could that be the cause of my problem?
  • Clipdat
    Yes, it could've been needlessly boosting the gain too much as if you were using a MC vs MM and causing distortion.

Doesn't explain why it sounded fine last night when you were listening though.

At least we're making progress though and determined it's the receiver.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076
    I read through most of todays comments about the hiss and watched the video. I heard a hiss when the camera was directed at the speaker on the right for a couple of seconds. Hard to tell what it is. So it's only occurs on your Technics table but not your dad's Luxman table when it's connected to the same receiver? How many records have you played, you mentioned a couple, are they all brand new? Can you try some older ones that have been played more. Assumed you cleaned the brand new ones before you played them. If not, you need to do so.

With all the switching back and forth etc. have you double checked all the connections for turntable, it's interconnect cables, speaker wires and that they are in-phase? Verify the turntable's grounding wire is attached properly. Might take it loose and re-attach it again.

Check that the cartridge head shell is screwed tight (but not super tight, just finger tightened) onto the tone arm. Check the cartridge wiring connections at the rear and make sure they are all tight. Check stylus for dirt and clean it again anyway, and check if it's bent at all. Make sure stylus is inserted properly into the cartridge body. Double check the tracking weight your using and that the anti-skate is set to the same setting (1.5 grams or what is recommended.)

Check the wires at the rear of the receiver and along the floor and make sure other power lines are not crossing them and if so separate them a little to see if that makes a difference.

Have you added any other new components to this system since the hiss appeared?

Might want to reposition the turntable to see if a different location corrects it.

Do you have another cartridge to try?

Just some general things to check out in case you missed something.

For only 15 your doing great!

Enjoy!
  • mlistens03
    Ah, HAA!
    op730nul62jb.jpg
    I’ll bet it was the switch and this cap here working together to mess up the sound!
    I’ll try it without the switch and see what happens, but I’m gonna guess that this guy is the culprit.
    Thanks again!
    Micah