Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    dromunds wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    That little dynamic stabilizer brush thing that Don, ahem, says doesn't exist ;)B) is a neat little design. (just ribbin' ya Don! that was a great gesture!)

When my brain goes dead it goes dead. Lol. I was picturing the V15s in my puny mind for some unknown reason. Plus, technically it’s not a “brush”

Umm, some "generations" of the venerable V15 from Shure had a brush, it will be recalled

B)

d1wsucw7vmc5.png

92cna348tih2.png

... as did Pickering's V-15s :p

y3ni9xwefqb1.png

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    If it wasn’t for the V on the 2nd cart, I would probably think that is a M97xE.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    halo wrote: »
    How long before you have to clean the brush included on the Shure cart?

There is always some sort of carpet fiber strand or fuzz on it after playing an album.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    halo wrote: »
    How long before you have to clean the brush included on the Shure cart?

There is always some sort of carpet fiber strand or fuzz on it after playing an album.

I use the brush on the stylus after every record. I also use the record brush on every record before playing it.
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    ^^so do I, can't get them all, and if you play with the lid up and move about the room you are bound to stir something up, or there would be no need for stylus or record brushes.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Umm, some "generations" of the venerable V15 from Shure had a brush, it will be recalled

Ha ha, good catch but only Type III around here which of course were sans “brush.” Went through a bunch of them in the day. Actually, I have a Type IV in storage with a broken tip but I didn’t recall it having a “brush”. Now I’ll have to pull it out to check. Never used the “brush” on the IV if, in fact, the brush is still intact. Really always preferred the III.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    never owned a Shure V15; wouldn't have minded trying one but they were too 'spensive back when -- and now they're gone. :|
  • dromunds
    They're not "gone," but usually the stylus is shot when you find them - seems like the last time I did it I got a JICO SAS stylus (which have gotten super expensive) - or a guy could otherwise re-tip (NOT talking about most of the aftermarket styluses which stink.) The cart bodies are around. Sometimes you even find them on cheap Craiglist TT's, etc. The V15's match up real well with certain TT's especially, Dual 1229 and various Technics come to mind. One of my first, if not my first TT was a Garrard Zero 100C and I put a Type III on that IIRC, anyway a long relationship with that iteration followed. As far as the M97xE, Michael Fremer wrote a while back about a JICO SAS stylus giving the M97xE a "shot of adrenalin."
  • mlistens03
    So I was showing some family my sound system, and I turned away for half a second, and they did the whole “DJ spinnin’ a record thing” and the stylus is trashed. :weary:
    So I’m gonna try and find a stylus for the Shure, but I’m thinking that’s unlikely as it’s discontinued, so I’ll probably end up getting the Nagaoki (or whatever it was called, can’t quite remember) linked a few pages back.
    Kinda upset about my stylus, but oh well. Accidents happen, ya know?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Accident!??! Someone should loose an arm over that. Blatant disregard for another's possessions is inexcusable.
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Accident!??! Someone should loose an arm over that. Blatant disregard for another's possessions is inexcusable.

He thought that it was no big deal, and that it was designed to do it. Besides, he has literally no money (as in, less than I do) and it is a fairly inexpensive stylus anyway. He is my age, but he has no way to get money because his parents don’t pay him for chores, so he has no way to pay for it. With all the gear I’m selling, it won’t be the end of the world, because I was thinking I would upgrade it anyway. Long story short, many reasons why he can’t, and other than the fact that he broke it, no reasons why he should. And also, I’ve broken a TON of my parents things, and did I ever have to pay for them? I’m just extending that generosity towards him.
    Micah
  • motorhead43026
    Those needles are all over eBay.

• FestYboy
    Assuming is the mother of all screw-ups...
  • mlistens03
    Those needles are all over eBay.

I will take a look!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Assuming is the mother of all screw-ups...

I learned that the hard way :#
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2018
    @mlistens03 - Many folks over at AK swear by the Ed Saunders replacement styli for Shure carts.

Never mind. The newer cart is not supported.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    Dude’ that was a brand new stylus on that Shure cartridge I gave you. There are lots of replacement styluses on eBay and most are junk that sound like crap. The stylus on that cart was not one of those. I would not blow it off as a “fairly inexpensive” stylus as it was not. Whoever broke that stylus disrespected you and your gear.
  • mlistens03
    dromunds wrote: »
    Dude’ that was a brand new stylus on that Shure cartridge I gave you. There are lots of replacement styluses on eBay and most are junk that sound like crap. The stylus on that cart was not one of those. I would not blow it off as a “fairly inexpensive” stylus as it was not. Whoever broke that stylus disrespected you and your gear.

By fairly inexpensive, I mean “not hundreds of dollars”, sorry to offend you. I know it wasn’t a super cheap cart, and I apologize, that is not what I meant.
    I am gonna try to find a OEM replacement stylus, but I don’t know if I’ll be successful.
    Micah
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Dude how old is your friend? He can do something to earn money and it sounds like it’s time to learn some responsibility. He can mow lawns, walk dogs, clean out sheds, all kinds of things around the neighborhood to earn money. I’m not saying break his arm are something, but talk to him and his parents if necessary and explain the monetary damage done.

People went out of your way to give you something nice. You have to show that you are not taking advantage of others generosity.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dude how old is your friend? He can do something to earn money and it sounds like it’s time to learn some responsibility. He can mow lawns, walk dogs, clean out sheds, all kinds of things around the neighborhood to earn money. I’m not saying break his arm are something, but talk to him and his parents if necessary and explain the monetary damage done.

People went out of your way to give you something nice. You have to show that you are not taking advantage of others generosity.

I will. I will see about having him mow some lawns or stuff, and he can pay to fix it. I will tell him he need to take responsibility, especially after thinking about what all you guys said, whether that means buying a new stylus if we can find or a new cart if we can’t. I’m really hoping we can find a stylus though, because I really like the Shure.
    Also, thanks again for the Shure, and I am sorry that it got broken.
    Micah
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    if he don't want to pay up, get his address and we can send over the Gimp.

muizc8n3bagk.jpg

Well, actually a harmless Gimp toy.

• FestYboy
    @tonyb should be brought in on this, just in case ;)
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    The Gimp has an Italian accent.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Even if it was an honest mistake and your friend thought he was using the turntable as intended, its better to learn in school that sometimes we have to pay for our accidental mistakes, rather than have to learn later on in life when the stakes are MUCH higher...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Maybe you should stick with unbreakable digital files. Actually not maybe.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Maybe you should stick with unbreakable digital files. Actually not maybe.

I’ll be more careful in the future. And by the way, I didn’t break it, it was my friend. :)
  • Nightfall
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Long story short, many reasons why he can’t, and other than the fact that he broke it, no reasons why he should. And also, I’ve broken a TON of my parents things, and did I ever have to pay for them? I’m just extending that generosity towards him.
    Micah

So much is wrong with this. So, so much.

• mlistens03
    Nightfall wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Long story short, many reasons why he can’t, and other than the fact that he broke it, no reasons why he should. And also, I’ve broken a TON of my parents things, and did I ever have to pay for them? I’m just extending that generosity towards him.
    Micah

So much is wrong with this. So, so much.

haI decided at the time I would pay for it and let him off the hook, and while posting here I related it to the thousands of times I broke my parents stuff. Now I’ve thought about it, and decided that he should pay for it, and I talked to him, and he said he came to the same conclusion. At the time we were both tired after playing sports all day so we weren’t thinking quite straight, and now that we are, we decided that he should.

So basically, now that we aren’t tired beyond belief, we decided he should pay for it.

Once again, I’m sorry that it was damaged, and it will be replaced, either by a replacement stylus (better option) or new cart (if I have to).
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    qxckkxt8h5rf.jpg
    Does this look to be too bent to use? It’s no where near as bad as the Stanton, but it is still bent.
    Once again, sorry that it’s broken,
    Micah
  • Nightfall
    Can't tell what's going on there, it's too dark.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    As a minor, his parents are monetarily responsible for his misbehavior. At the very least, they should buy you a new stylus or cartridge altogether and they can decide how he can pay them back for the expense.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10