Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
I’ve been waiting for this day. I’ve finally got my own TT! And not too bad of one at that. Found it at an estate sale, it is a Technics SL-3200. The guy had all sorts of gear, from Yamaha to McIntosh (I’ll provide the pics later), and I wanted it all, but I only had enough money for the Technics. Which was fine, because that was the thing I wanted to take home the most to be honest. The turntable is pretty dirty, but it works. I don’t know the condition of the stylus, but I think it is OK. Cartridge doesn’t look too bad either, but I will probably replace both in the future. Haven’t hooked it up yet, right now I’m just sitting down to clean it up.
Here are some pics of the TT:
zro29un0bhey.jpg
0a90xhiy5hut.jpg
As you can see, it’s not very clean. The guy just wanted it gone, so he gave it to me for $40 and he just gave me a DEEMA CarboTex carbon fiber anti static brush, so that’s nice to have.
Any thoughts on this TT? Recommendations for future cartridges and styluses (styli? Stylus? I don’t know, if someone could inform me on the proper plural word, that would be nice :wink: )?
Micah

Comments

• mlistens03
    A fitting first record:
    vyqz6s86bmai.jpg
    I can safely say that even with all the extra noise, this is one of the best audio experiences I have ever had period. I can see why this is a rabbit hole, I will probably never come home again without a new record. :wink: oh how I wish that could be true.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Congrats!!! Looks like a keeper. How does it sound to you? Thats all that counts!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Oh and good luck with that hole. It gets deep.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mlistens03
    Manticore wrote: »
    Congrats!!! Looks like a keeper. How does it sound to you? Thats all that counts!

It sounds awesome. Definitely a keeper. Right now listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I don’t know if I’ll ever listen to a CD or MP3 again.
    Manticore wrote: »
    Oh and good luck with that hole. It gets deep.

So I’ve heard! Lol
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Congrats - and... don't say we didn't warn you... even if, well I certainly didn't. Enjoy - looks like a great deal, and I enjoy vinyl quite a lot. The rabbit hole is both long and deep though.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Congrats - and... don't say we didn't warn you... even if, well I certainly didn't. Enjoy - looks like a great deal, and I enjoy vinyl quite a lot. The rabbit hole is both long and deep though.

Thanks!

I apparently only took a picture of the McIntosh, but here it is:
    0vv9gpcr1m3g.jpeg
  • mlistens03
    Oooh man something I just noticed! Stanton cartridge/stylus!
    qksgrfg3gxdh.jpg
    Googles it earlier, this has supposedly been their top of the line since the 70s! Maybe $50 was a much better deal than I first thought!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Congrats on a nice, excuse me, very nice TT.

Is that 150.00 or 1500.00 for the McIntosh?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »
    Congrats on a nice, excuse me, very nice TT.

Is that 150.00 or 1500.00 for the McIntosh?

1500.00. If it was $150 it would be here instead of the Technics.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I didn't know you had more than 150.00.

1500.00 huh, I don't know if that's good or not seeing how dirty it is. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »
    I didn't know you had more than 150.00.

1500.00 huh, I don't know if that's good or not seeing how dirty it is. :#

I don’t, but I could’ve convinced my dad to let me buy it and pay him back :lol:
    I don’t care for taking loans, but that would be worth it.
    It supposedly works, and sounds amazing. I’ve seen broken ones in terrible condition sell for over $1000, so I feel like that’s a deal for a working model.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Congrats on the TT. Your music life just got better.
  • mlistens03
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    Congrats on the TT. Your music life just got better.

Most definitely! Thanks!
  • mlistens03
    Something I forgot to mention earlier, the cover is snapped off at the hinges.
    zaz9jrflz72r.jpg
    Any ideas on a cheap and easy fix?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yep, hard to beat good analog.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    zaz9jrflz72r.jpg

Crazy glue and baking soda. Instant fix.
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    zaz9jrflz72r.jpg

Crazy glue and baking soda? Does crazy glue have vinegar in it? Interesting. What happens when you mix them? What causes the reaction?
    Micah
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    FestYboy wrote: »
    zaz9jrflz72r.jpg

Crazy glue and baking soda? Does crazy glue have vinegar in it? Interesting. What happens when you mix them? What causes the reaction?
    Micah

Yes I'm curious as well.
  • motorhead43026
    Google crazy glue and baking soda. Google is your friend.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mlistens03
    Google crazy glue and baking soda. Google is your friend.

Oh good idea :lol:
    Don’t know why I didn’t think think of that.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    @msg Don't you own several copies of this on vinyl? One of your favorite albums if I recall?
    A fitting first record:
    vyqz6s86bmai.jpg
    I can safely say that even with all the extra noise, this is one of the best audio experiences I have ever had period. I can see why this is a rabbit hole, I will probably never come home again without a new record. :wink: oh how I wish that could be true.

• motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    ^^the latest remaster (2017) is nothing short of amazing.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Can you still get a replacement stylus for that cart? I'm sure LP Gear has their version of one available but I'm not sure I trust their brand of styli any longer. If you're looking for a new cart recommendation Micah, I would say the Nagaoka MP-110 is your best bet. Enjoy spinning the wax!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    halo wrote: »
    Can you still get a replacement stylus for that cart? I'm sure LP Gear has their version of one available but I'm not sure I trust their brand of styli any longer. If you're looking for a new cart recommendation Micah, I would say the Nagaoka MP-110 is your best bet. Enjoy spinning the wax!

I was thinking about getting a new cart, but I think that the cartridge already installed is a pretty high end one. It is a Stanton 681EEE, which I read has supposedly been their top model since the mid 70s. I don’t know if I’ll damage the records by using this cart though, do you guys think it is ok? I already have adjusted the weight of the tone arm, although I have not centered the stylus yet (I think that is what it is called). A visual inspection makes me think it is in excellent condition, but I don’t know enough about TTs to know if it is actually ok.
    The Nagaoka cart looks nice though, if I decide to get one that will probably be close to the top of the list for me.
    I still am wanting to buy LSiMs or Signatures so I can’t spend a ton of money on a cartridge unless I get the Signatures. I don’t know if the cart I have now will work until I can get either one,or at least decide which, do you guys think it will?
    Micah
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2018
    1) Get a Spinclean

2) Try to buy your records new. If you buy used ones be very critical of their condition.

3) Get MoFi sleeves.

Some noise is inevitable but constant snaps and crackles aren't normal with a clean record in pristine shape.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03
    Nightfall wrote: »
    1) Get a Spinclean

2) Try to buy your records new. If you buy used ones be very critical of their condition.

I wish I could buy new records, but they cost so much usually that I will most likely only buy records I can’t find used new. I will be extremely careful to check the condition of records before I buy them, even when I look at records for my dad I am very careful about condition.
    What do I you mean by a SpinClean? I already have a brush, is this what you are talking about?
    zjlo7ilivqcb.jpg
    Micah
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Also, if you have a steady hand you can clean the stylus with a plain regular Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I think it's in a blue box. No heavy duty or whatever other versions there are, just the regular ones.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03

Looks pretty cool, I’ll have to wait until after I get new speakers though. Does that just clean dust and dirt off?
    Also, if you have a steady hand you can clean the stylus with a plain regular Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I think it's in a blue box. No heavy duty or whatever other versions there are, just the regular ones.

I do have a steady hand, so now I am going to go and look for a Mr. Clean Eraser.
    Found one, cleaned it, but now I am looking at it and the stylus is slightly bent to the right. It looks like it is supposed to be that way, because there doesn’t look to be any stress any where on the stylus and it seems to be connected to the cart well. Do you guys think it is OK?
    hfxgikgw1h2d.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    No, I'm afraid the cantilever is bent and you'll have a channel imbalance.