What, no GDPR for Vanilla?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,427
edited May 2018 in The Clubhouse
GDPR.

A few days ago I started getting a bunch of email notifications re: privacy policy updates.

I read a couple of articles on it. So, the policy's calling for simple, easy to understand terms - no legalese that causes most people to simply scroll and accept as fast as they can. They're supposed to be presenting what they intend to do with your data in clear simple terms. Some of theses services are offering easy opt out options, though I'm not sure this is a requirement. One I read about was for Twitter, though I don't have an account.

I figured most of this is, "These are our terms, you agreed previously when you created your account to accept that we can change the terms anytime we like that you won't be grandfathered, so your options are to accept or cancel your account."

What choice is there, really. Is anyone taking this seriously, or was it a bunch of work and fuss, essentially for nothing?
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Lawyer job security.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    It’s actually the opposite of that, from what I understand it’s to make it so the lawyers aren’t necessary to decrypt privacy statements. From what little I know it seems like a good idea.

Not every company will be affected, Apple’s was already simple and easy to understand so we’re not sending updates that I know of.