Tidal, Could the PC User Interface Get Any Worse?

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
Why yes, yes it can. They've gone & changed it again. Where did the Masters section go? There used to be an easy way to see a list of Masters (MQA encoded) albums. Gone! Now, it wasn't an all inclusive list, but made it easy to at least get your feet wet & possibly discover something new. Fugtards!

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Since going to Roon I no longer have to use their desktop app, but I agree that it’s horrible to use.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    From what I've read, MQA sucks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    When I use tidal on my phone I feel like smashing it on the ground. Thankfully lightning DS makes tidal much more user friendly.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It’s like any other audio format that’s ever existed, there are some good masters and not so good masters. For me the thing about MQA isn’t the technology itself because I don’t even know what it is, but rather the masters themselves that happen to get tagged as MQA. I don’t know if the Yes MQA stuff sounds better because it’s MQA, I just know it aohbds better.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Is it just me, or does everyones phone app just plain suck ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does everyones phone app just plain suck ?

Majority yes, I find Spotify to not be that bad. The shuffle feature could be improved but overall the Android and Ps4 apps are pretty intuitive.

Spotify added new voice features and a car mode so you can shout out at thin air and the music plays...pretty cool.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Agreed I think Spotify and Apple Music both are clearly ahead of Tidal with the interface, although even that statement still ultimately comes down to personal preference and I could see an Android user (which covers the majority of smartphones), having an issue with Apple Music in particular.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

I think Tidal's software is all about being sleek and cool first and functional second.

Typical of everything these days. Sad, but true.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    It’s like any other audio format that’s ever existed, there are some good masters and not so good masters. For me the thing about MQA isn’t the technology itself because I don’t even know what it is, but rather the masters themselves that happen to get tagged as MQA. I don’t know if the Yes MQA stuff sounds better because it’s MQA, I just know it aohbds better.

It's a proprietary format dreamed up by Meridian Audio. It is a compressed format that is not lossless, has serious copyright protection and I'm pretty sure you need a device that can decode it. It's bad news.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Every bit of that may be true, and if it sounds better I could care less. Sometimes it sounds better, sometimes the same and sometimes worse...I attribute that more to the mastered version of the album than the MQA technology.

All I know is that there’s no way anyone can listen to the original and then the Steven Wilson remaster with MQA of Chicago II and think the original sounds better,
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I don’t know if the Yes MQA stuff sounds better because it’s MQA, I just know it aohbds better.

I don’t know. For me when something aohbds better it usually means I did something wrong, or right. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options

MQA is apparently the third rail of digital audio ;)

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/9/92651.html
    (e.g.)