5x7/6x8 vs 6.5?

Hey All,

I just bought a used 2007 F-150 Lariat, which has a really nice leather interior and trim, but boy... the sound system could not be WORSE! The quality of the sound at the Lariat level is literally criminal, imo.

Maybe it's just due to the age of 11 year old speakers not performing their best, but, still... they need to go.

From the factory, the truck seems to have come with 4 5x7 or 6x8s, whatever they are, I know they are interchangeable, and so for an easy upgrade I was simply going to install a nice set of coaxial speakers in the same size, but then started to wonder if a nice set of 6.5in Momo series Polks might be better?!

Has anyone compared 5x7 or 6x8 speakers to a 6.5 in the same vehicle and noticed any benefit to the 6.5s?
Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3

Comments

  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,007
    I think it would probably be harder to do because the hole is cut for a 5x7/6x8. You would have to resize the hole, or find a way to put a different cabinet in there.
    I imagine the Polk 6.5 would sound a lot better than the stock ones, but any well designed speaker should sound good no matter the size or shape. I would stick with the oval drivers just so you don’t have to resize the holes for the drivers.
    Do you plan on replacing the old radio/CDP with something newer?
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,547
    Car audio AND truck related question. Paging @nbrowser
    Got Dayens?
  • Lietuvis91Lietuvis91 Posts: 906
    edited May 23
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I think it would probably be harder to do because the hole is cut for a 5x7/6x8. You would have to resize the hole, or find a way to put a different cabinet in there.
    I imagine the Polk 6.5 would sound a lot better than the stock ones, but any well designed speaker should sound good no matter the size or shape. I would stick with the oval drivers just so you don’t have to resize the holes for the drivers.
    Do you plan on replacing the old radio/CDP with something newer?

    There are a number of companies that make an adapter plate to go from 5x7 to 6.5. At crutchfield they are $10/pair. So for that reason the fitment does not concern me.

    I will most definitely be replacing the head unit. I really want a backup camera in this truck, so I will be getting a double din capable of this feature. In fact, my friend has a brand new ATOTO A6 that he wants to sell me cheap. He ended up with two, and it's brand new. I'm skeptical of the quality, but he says the one he has installed has worked great, so far.
    https://amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF

    My biggest concern would be low sound quality due to low quality components... so TBD on that purchase.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • Lietuvis91Lietuvis91 Posts: 906
    edited May 23
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I think it would probably be harder to do because the hole is cut for a 5x7/6x8. You would have to resize the hole, or find a way to put a different cabinet in there.
    I imagine the Polk 6.5 would sound a lot better than the stock ones, but any well designed speaker should sound good no matter the size or shape. I would stick with the oval drivers just so you don’t have to resize the holes for the drivers.
    Do you plan on replacing the old radio/CDP with something newer?

    The fitment should not be in issue with these brackets from Crutchfield. At $10 a pair that's a minor expense.

    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SA68/Scosche-SA-68-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html

    I will most definitely be replacing the head unit because I want a backup camera. My friend accidentally ended up with 2 ATOTO A6 units and wants to sell me the 2nd one cheap. I am skeptical of the component quality at this price, but the one he installed seems to have worked ok so far. Has pre-outs, gps, backup camera capability, microphone... basically all the good stuff.

    He want's a $150 for it, and at that price, it's really tempting to give it a shot, especially because ATOTO makes a bunch of accessories for it that are plug and play.

    https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,007
    For that little I’d go for it! I would get separate amps if I was you.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • Lietuvis91Lietuvis91 Posts: 906
    edited May 23
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    For that little I’d go for it! I would get separate amps if I was you.

    Read my mind. I already have 2x Polk PA D2000.2 amps sitting in my closet. One will power the fronts, the 2nd will power the rears.

    I am hoping with this amplification I will not want/need a sub. Not looking for slamming bass, but definitely need it to have a cheerful bump. :D

    I know this is where sound deadening can help a lot. Need to research that some as well.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,007
    Lietuvis91 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    For that little I’d go for it! I would get separate amps if I was you.

    Read my mind. I already have 2x Polk PA D2000.2 amps sitting in my closet. One will power the fronts, the 2nd will power the rears.

    I am hoping with this amplification I will not want/need a sub. Not looking for slamming bass, but definitely need it to have a cheerful bump. :D

    That will probably do just fine for most music. If it’s really necessary, you can always add one later, ya know?
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,042
    This is an interesting question. Sub'd.

    Still running some 4" Polk component speakers in an old truck with 6.5s in the rear, along with a JL Audio Microsub 8.1 with a Directed amp, installed 15yrs ago. Modest, but probably the best vehicle stereo I ever had B)
  • Lietuvis91Lietuvis91 Posts: 906
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Lietuvis91 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    For that little I’d go for it! I would get separate amps if I was you.

    Read my mind. I already have 2x Polk PA D2000.2 amps sitting in my closet. One will power the fronts, the 2nd will power the rears.

    I am hoping with this amplification I will not want/need a sub. Not looking for slamming bass, but definitely need it to have a cheerful bump. :D

    That will probably do just fine for most music. If it’s really necessary, you can always add one later, ya know?

    Yep, exactly what I was thinking. The amps I have put out 125w RMS, so they should drive any good quality 6.5 well. Definitely hoping for decent performance across the full frequency range.

    In fact, I think I have a set of Polk MM6500 component speakers in a car my brother has borrowed. I should be getting it back shortly, so I might pull them out and see how well they do in this truck. That car is getting sold soon anyway.





    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

    M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

    Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

    LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!