Options
JMc10
JMc10 Posts: 1
Hi - I am finishing my basement and have already bought the following:
2x 265-RT for front L&R;
2x 65-RT for Surrounds;
2x MC-80 for Atmos height speakers;
and 2x SVS SB-1000 subs.

Plan is for a 5.2.2 system. I had planned to use the matched 255-C or another 265-RT as the center channel, however, there is a soffit above the TV and a unit below it and since I insisted on buying an 82" TV, I now realize that I do not have space for either center option in the wall! Looking for advice on the following options:

1. Best option, I think is to use a regular center sitting on the unit below the TV, however, I only have about 6" of height available - what centers do people recommend? Remember it cannot be large like the CSI-A6. Considering CSI-A4 (at the limit size wise, but timbre matched I think?) and S35 (not as tall but not matched I think?). Any other options that would match?

2. An alternative might be to eliminate the center and set up with a phantom center? Front L&R will be about 8" to the left and right of the screen (which is 72" wide). I'm not really sure if this is feasible or not?

The space is approx. 16'x13' with one of the 13' sides being open to a larger space. Ceilings are 8' with a soffit at the front of the room, above the TV.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    If you will always be sitting in the “sweet spot” then a phantom center would work just fine. I believe that yes, the CSi-A4 is timbre matched, although I don’t know if it is timbre matched to the in wall speakers, which may sound different than the original series.
    The S35 would definitely work, but it is not timber matched. If that doesn’t matter to you, then it would work perfectly. When I used to have surround sound (that lasted about a week for me) I used my LSis with a cheapo Boston center because it was what I had.
    Basically, go with whichever you think would work best for you. If you want it to sound perfect, go with the CSi. I feel you want it to look better and occasionally sound a little off, go with the S35.
    My $0.02 anyway
    Micah