Sony x850e 65" hdmi questions

Options
erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,314
Here's the thing, I am TV stupid. Anyone who has been to my place has seen the 2008 32" lcd hooked up to a polk RTI setup. I almost bought a new tv for 2 years. I almost pulled the trigger on a sony 900 55" for 1k but didn't get it. My wife threw me a 50th suprise bash and i received a bunch of Best Buy gift cards.
I learned today that there was a secret Facebook page with invites. Some people asked what to get me and she responded just your presence is enough but if you want to get me something, Best Buy gift cards because i have been on the fence for 2 years on a TV. SOOOOOOO because i waited so long, Sony has a new series out and i got the 850E 65" for the same price of the 900E 55".

I have Xfinity X1, an older sony Bluray player, modified Amazon fire ( before they ditched the optical Audioquest HDMI cables. Becaue the tv is 4k, do i need new cables? If so, why? Here is why i am asking. If the cable isnt in 4k, why would i need to change cables? If the blueray player isnt 4k why change cables? If i got a 4k blueray player but, dont have a single 4k blueray..... you get the picture.

The tv gets delivered next week and just trying to make sure i have it all ready.
Anything else i need to know to bring me up to speed?
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh don't get yourself confused. This is easy. The tv will accept the older 1.2 and 1.4 formats without issue. In order to enjoy 4k format, the source and transfer protocol must support 4k. Certain cables will use HDMI 2.0 and 2.2 if a 4k source is used.
    The tv will upconvert any HD source to 4k on it's own. A 4k player will do the same in house and then transfer a 4k signal to the tv. I do recommend that a 4k player be part of the repetoire.
  • erniejade
    Options
    So, until comcast broadcast 4k AND they hand out new cable boxes that have hdmi 2.2, don't make a change. Bluray, spend the $ for a 4k and new cable. Easy enough!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Ooo. And petition Amazon to put the dang optical output back on their fire.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    FYI Amazon Prime does have a few 4K titles that you can watch.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    I picked up a 65" 900E from Best Buy two weeks ago. If your model is anything like this one you will love it! Be prepared for awesome!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    So, until comcast broadcast 4k AND they hand out new cable boxes that have hdmi 2.2, don't make a change. Bluray, spend the $ for a 4k and new cable. Easy enough!

The cable thing is an iffy question. Depending on how old your HDMI cables are. I would pick up a new AQ HDMI cable anyway for the cable box to TV. A 4k sony br player is cheap these days and when you decide to upgrade to a 4k player, then buy another new HDMI cable.

If your cables are too old, you may experience some handshake issues, poorer pic quality. Also do a google search for a few picture settings which you can do yourself. Tweek it to your liking. Takes a bit of experimenting to get the motion control just right.

Picture quality on 4k sets is great....except for non HD channels, which appear poorer quality than even the older 1080i sets. Glad your able to get it, thank your lovely wife for the suggestions.

Otherwise....you would have gotten an autographed picture of me and Russ mooning you while flipping you off. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    adb3da wrote: »
    I picked up a 65" 900E from Best Buy two weeks ago. If your model is anything like this one you will love it! Be prepared for awesome!

I got a 65" 900F last week, along with a Samsung Sound Bar. I used two HDMI cables Oppo provides with their BR players to hook up the Oppo 203 and sound bar to the TV. No problems there.

For my HT (75" Sony Z9D) I used an old Pangea HDMI, and no issues there. I did buy a 4K ready HDMI from Audio Advisor that I returned. It had snow and other issues.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Thanks all!! I appreciate the inputs. Is the HDMI 2.2 backwards compatible?

Tony, I would have hung that pic up in the room with the KEF's LOL!!!

I went in there thinking of the 55" 900E for 1k and walked out buying the 850E 65 for the same money. They didn't have the 850E in stock but they did have a floor model I almost bought. When I asked how old it was, they said well over a year. Probably a year and a half. I thought about buying the floor model, but then thought, they have this thing on basically a year +++ strait. It was only like a 150 saving on the floor model so I went with the new one.

Reading on the specs, I don't even know what 1/2 of it is or does. This thing has more technology in it vs my car!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Start researching now on setup and pitfalls. They don't give you a manual anymore with these TV's. Personally, I like just using the Comcast remote since it's easier and what I'm used to plus it already has voice commands on it so the Sony's is redundant.

It does have a lot of tech in it, some useful, some not so much. Some gets aggravating too. Have your router pass word ready as well and take notes researching settings so your good to go when setting it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Thanks all!! I appreciate the inputs. Is the HDMI 2.2 backwards compatible?

YES !

• erniejade
    Options
    Finally remembered where I got my HDMI cables from. They are Audioquest Cinnamon I got from Mantis when he had one of his cable blowout sales.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I picked up a 900E when they went on sale about a year ago and it's been great. I upgraded from a $300 bargain basement Toshiba 40" LCD so anything probably would have been an improvement. I went with BJC HDMI cables and haven't had any problems. We're lucky enough to have Charter as a cable provider so I use a Roku as a cable box...the cable boxes they "rent" to you are absolutely horrible.

Here are some calibration setting recommendations https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850e/settings

I liked their settings for my own TV, especially with 4k HDR.

Enjoy!
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    @erniejade

BestBuy always puts these on sale on their deal of the day, in different lengths too. Today they have the 4 footer, I have bought 6 footers here as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4-4k-ultra-hd-hdmi-cable-black/5938403.p?skuId=5938403
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Happy 50th Brian!!!

Get yourself a 4K player while you're at it. The picture quality is great. B)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    These HDMI cables have been on sale a while. Personally think they’re very good cables, equivelant to AQ Cinnamon.

https://www.thecableco.com/limited-time-price-drop-on-shunyata-venom-usb-hdmi-and-hc-cables.html

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Thorton wrote: »
    Happy 50th Brian!!!

Get yourself a 4K player while you're at it. The picture quality is great. B)

Where were you Mike?!
  • erniejade
    Options
    Thanks all and hi Mike!!

Stupid question of the day #3.
    If i do the wall mounting, im being told i need to buy a in wall kit. Since whatever source would be connected to the kit portion, wont the quality of the kit make a difference? Any in wall kits better than others?

OR just buy a lowboy stand?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Don’t understand why you would have to buy an in wall kit. Plenty of manufacturers sell various 2-stud wall mounts that will work for that set.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Might only need to get one cable when I change to a 4k blueray from AQ website

It is important to understand that AudioQuest HDMI cables up to 8 meters are guaranteed to exceed the requirements for all possible HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 data streams, including 4K UltraHD, HDR, and Blu-ray Ultra HD. In addition, AudioQuest Pearl, Forest and Cinnamon HDMI make use of Active Frequency-Equalization to enable full 18Gbps/4K UltraHD performance from 10 to 15 meters

It is important to note that Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs are all encoded at 4:2:0.

• erniejade
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Don’t understand why you would have to buy an in wall kit. Plenty of manufacturers sell various 2-stud wall mounts that will work for that set.

What best buy told me to have the power run in the wall along with the hdmi and all, i need a in wall kit for some regulation.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited May 2018
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »

What best buy told me to have the power run in the wall along with the hdmi and all, i need a in wall kit for some regulation.

Correct..... to hide all the cables you either need a kit (convient, and even THIS GUY has done 2), or to buy it all seperate.

You can't just run an extension cord through the wall........

Here is an example

518hREAtYdL._SL1000_.jpg

Either buy it as a kit with both pieces together, or buy two kits separate.

I used this kit, but because I needed a bunch of HDMI cables, and also optical, I used a second kit with cutouts to hide the wires and run them to the soundbar and TV.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    Options
    Makes sense. Since my fire is modified, i would want that. I haven't decided yet if we need a sound bar. From what i have read the sound is ok on them for regular tv.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Sound bar ?? Dude, you have the Polks right there.

As for that Kit....wall mount, you have to make sure the mount is made for that TV otherwise the framing may cover some inputs you need or the holes won't line up properly. Personally, to avoid the hassles, I'd just get a stand for it and be done.

Keep in mind too, viewing angles are going to be tighter, so if you get a wall mount make sure it can tilt and turn a bit to accommodate your seating.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2018
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sound bar ?? Dude, you have the Polks right there.

As for that Kit....wall mount, you have to make sure the mount is made for that TV otherwise the framing may cover some inputs you need or the holes won't line up properly. Personally, to avoid the hassles, I'd just get a stand for it and be done.

Keep in mind too, viewing angles are going to be tighter, so if you get a wall mount make sure it can tilt and turn a bit to accommodate your seating.

ALL TV makers use one of the VESA mounting options, and most wallmounts are universal and work with all of them, and most are putting the HDMI inputs on the side now.

I've got my 60" Plasma on a Cheetah wallmount (tilt only no swivel), however I went with something like this in my loft. Likely overkill for you, but its nice to be able to tilt the tv for corner viewing (my kid cares not for soundstage imaging yet).

With your dining room off to the side (from what I recall from my 10 second dropby), it also might be nice if your watching TV while eating at the table.

71WER6IReUL._SL1500_.jpg

71oz65w4H9L._SL1500_.jpg

This is what Tony is talking about, but again most locations where the mount would attach DO NOT block the inputs.

81MQEaoO8HL._SL1500_.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    Options
    Don't say "most" Dan, my Sony in the bedroom ….the wall mount covered the HDMI port, and I had to do some shifty work around to get it to fit. A mount I might add, was suppose to be "universal".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Weird. Don’t have this problem with any of my 3 TVs (60” Panasonic, 39 & 43” Insignia)
  • erniejade
    Options
    Brig and I were on the fence between getting a low boy ( stand ) or wall mounting. If we did get a low boy, I would need to move the sub to make it fit between the RTI12's. That speaker next to the RTI 12 is a dual 12". Yep overkill for that room.

It will actually fit on my VTI rack on top of the Polk center that the 32" is on right now since the sonly base is only like 24 or 28" but, it I think it would look terrible hanging off the sides by like 15" on each side.

For Tony and Dan, I am disappointed you didn't mount the bedroom TV on the celling. Why should you have to sit up to watch TV?

The 32 " from 2008 in the living room will go to the bedroom and replace the old flat tube 140 LB beast that is currently in the bedroom.

Forgot to also say, sound bar would be for the kids. They are not allowed to touch any of the stereo stuff in the house. My 32" has a wide AZZ bezel on the bottom and the speakers in it actually aren't too bad for regular tv
  • erniejade
    Options
    As long as you can hear it, and it doesn't sound like its coming from a cell phone speaker, it will be fine. Some of the ones my friends have my cell phone speaker on my Ipad sounds better.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @erniejade .... because then it would be a PITA to wire the powercable for it..... and the fear of it pulling away from the wall and you waking up to a shower of glass on your face lol.......
  • tonyb
    Options
    Brian, you should also think about power conditioning if you don't have one in that room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's