Yanny vs Laurel

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA

Comments

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I hear Yanny!!!!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I hear both. Laurel is prominent, but if you listen close enough, Yanni is there in a sub audible way...
    Almost like a text to speech sounding voice.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    There's no long E sound at the end of Laurel, Caety just showed me a FB post that "proves" that the speed at which the word is played makes the difference. As it is played faster, Laurel is ever present, then it returns to normal speed and then dipps much slower.half way through the dip, the word is changed: i.e. the actual word, not what I'm perceiving. It's fake. If I had my tower up and running I'd do a waveform comparison, but my experience tells me that my statement will hold true.

It's just another Tide pods challenge, snort a condom piece of BS.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I hear Laurel.

How can anybody hear anything different from that?

I heard the same on TV the other day...The L sounds are SO evident, I think the test is bs too.

But if some hear yanni, there's a world of difference in how we hear music too!

This could EXPLAIN why when we say borrow, others hear keep.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I actually know girls that have both of those names. (Yanni, Laurel) :p

I hear "yanny".
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I've heard both, clearly, at different times. Different room, different device, different names! It has also sounded something like "gary" at other times.

(Having sons and teaching high-schoolers has given me multiple opportunities to have a listen!)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Literally just listening to the above clip...

It started out with the word Yanny showing and that was the name I was hearing, and then halfway through when they started showing the word Laurel, it switched to me hearing Laurel.

When I started the clip over and the word Yanny was showing I still heard Laurel from when it had switched over from the previous time listening.

So maybe I have super powers and can hear both.

BTW...Yanni sounded like a higher pitched voice and Laurel sounded deeper.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Viking64
    Weird. I plugged one ear and I started to hear "laurel". I removed my finger and I was able to hear both simultaneously. :o
  • Viking64
    Here's the Laurel Canyon Store where the creatures meet.

ubk3omnx8oy8.jpg
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Ok the first time it was an unmistakable Yanny without a hint of Laurel. The second time I tried it an hour or so later it was the complete opposite. This is through a pair of ADS 1530's that do vocals very well. My thoughts is it changes to keep the clickbait alive and well.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    You sir, owe me 30 seconds of time...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    That was so weird.

After reading the responses here, I Iistened to this without watching the video. I distinctly hear/heard Yanny, but would find myself thinking Laurel. So I tried it a few more times, listening, not watching, force thinking Yanny at the start each time because that's what I was hearing, but after a few words, Laurel kept sneaking back into my mind. Subtle at first but enough that I had to keep reminding myself to listen to the sound.

I'd like to try a few of these without the visual or any hints or suggestions ahead of time. That was neat.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited May 2018
    A few days ago I didn't know this clip existed. My wife played it and asked me what I heard....I replied Yanni. She said "What"! No way. I looked at her as if I mispronounced Yanni...I said I hear Yanni, she said no it's Laurel. I said, there's not a hint of Laurel..no L, nothing...kinda weirded her out.

The rest of the day I heard Yanni. When my daughter arrived home from school she played it for her and I clearly heard Laurel.

I also have heard the underlying Yanni very faintly under Laurel.

Also, when I heard Laurel, it was at or near the same lower pitch as Yanni, sometimes they are at different pitches.

Definitely an interesting lesson in how the brain interprets sounds.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    All I hear is Laurel. From start to finish, not even a hint of Yanni. I thought it was a prank and all the people saying they heard Yanni were kidding.
  • msg
    What the...?!?
    I just listened again and now I can't hear Yanny! All I hear now is Laurel start to finish, too. Like they've changed the video.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    msg wrote: »
    All I hear now is Laurel start to finish, too. Like they've changed the video.
    I think the YT video is changing and this is a prank.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    It is the same video. I saw another where a guy used a graphic equalizer to analyze the sound and found if the range between 1khz and 5khz is attenuated what sounds like yanny sounds like laurel on high quality speakers.

Sure enough, I hear Laurel clearly on my ipad’s built in speaker and Yanny through better quality speakers. So it is device dependent and the perception of what the sound is has a very narrow range where the difference becomes apparent. My guess is some people may hear both on the same set of speakers depending on their environment.
  • msg
    edited May 2018
    It switched for me on the same device.
    The only differences I can think of were that I was more awake, had clean underwear on, and had a cup of coffee when it was Laurel.

It's Yanny again now. Can't hear Laurel at all.

And now about 5 minutes later it actually slowly started to switch part way through and is Laurel again. I can't hear Yanny no matter how little or hard I try, even with varying volume, speaker or earbuds. Weird.

Then I was able to go back and forth, alternating, but not now. Laurel's back.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    What the...?!?
    I just listened again and now I can't hear Yanny! All I hear now is Laurel start to finish, too. Like they've changed the video.

Same thing happened here. My thoughts are it's just click bait and the change is done to keep people coming back for another listen and another click or 11 from the same person.
    Now it's on to vid of the person that crapped on the floor in Tim Hortons which is more interesting imo
  • Hermitism
    It switched for me on the same device.
    The only differences I can think of were that I was more awake, had clean underwear on, and had a cup of coffee when it was Laurel.

It's Yanny again now. Can't hear Laurel at all.

And now about 5 minutes later it actually slowly started to switch part way through and is Laurel again. I can't hear Yanny no matter how little or hard I try, even with varying volume, speaker or earbuds. Weird.

Then I was able to go back and forth, alternating, but not now. Laurel's back.
    That's just a symptom of your Dissociative Identity Disorder. BTW, your other personality owes me $200.

• msg
    lol
    I would gladly pay you Tuesday...
    but I'm not sure which one of us is writing this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    I'm not sure which one of us is writing this.
    Do you mean Ze or Zir? I'm not sure either. I'm pretty sure it's "Ze".

• Tony M
    Here's a real brain teaser without sound at all. Just brain matter from the optical nerves. :D Brain hemispheres... ;)B)
    https://youtu.be/x-IfkiYNfZc
  • Hermitism
    Is she turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Neither, she's turning counter clockwise.
  • Tony M
    Clockwise for me. But she turns direction quite often on me. ???