Parasound HCA 1000 about to blow

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
I think....the left side runs pretty hot to the touch even when not driving speakers, and it recently started a pretty audible buzz. Anyone want to take a crack at fixing it?

Comments

• kevhed72
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For a price of course. I would also be open to upgrades if that was in your wheelhouse....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I don’t want to try, but it sounds like something serious, I’d pop off the hood just to make sure it’s not something easy like a blown cap or resistor
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Good idea....Ill take some pics. Are you skilled in the SS amplifier arts?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    It is a bias thing. You tube it
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Wouldn't the problem actually be un-biased :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Smarty pants
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Smarty pants

Just trying to give a bias perspective on the situation
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    Had a similar problem with my para 1500A minus the buzz. An adjustment of the bias pot with a screwdriver & a digital meter solved the heat problem. The bias was considerably off spec. Really was not difficult at all.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Are you skilled in the SS amplifier arts?

Uh... you could say that... compared to my sister, yes! :tongue:
    Not really I have a fairly basic view of electronics but I am slowly but surely figuring it all out.
    There was a chapter on electricity in my science book and I learned literally nothing. I actually got a B on the test because I put too much information in all the options :lol:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    If it is the bias, the questions becomes, why did the bias drift so far that it had to be dialed back? Those "pots" don't turn themselves. >:)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If it is the bias, the questions becomes, why did the bias drift so far that it had to be dialed back? Those "pots" don't turn themselves. >:)

correct Brock but they do drift without being turned. Is it cap's of something else in the path I do not know. I have had more than one amp that needed recalibrated and I never turned anything. Once recalibrated they played on for many years.