2018 Texas Audio Fall Shindig - Oct 20

1235»

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,154
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Good stuff. Well done, Skip.
    Dyou guys listen to those Double Impacts any? If yes, impressions?
    Would also like to hear about the room treatments- line, placement, effect...

I've heard those double impacts in two different locations and set up's I was never disappointed. Them goofy speakers have it going on.
  • suprafantxsuprafantx Posts: 249
    It was a pleasure for me to meet several polkies and non-polkies at the gathering. Thanks Skip for let me have the opportunity to listen to North Star Design gears, Rosso speakers, and many other gears you have. The food was great and the people I met were awesome. Thanks again Skip.
    Living room
    Speakers: McIntosh XR100 Fronts, LSIM707 Fronts, LSIM 706 Center, LSIM 703 Surrounds, LSi/FX Surround backs.
    Player: Oppo 95.
    Amps: Bryston 4B SST, B&K Ref 200.7 S2.
    Pres: B&K Ref 50 S2, Paraound P5.
    Subs: Dual Rythmik F15HP subs.

Man Cave
    Speakers: Martin Logan Vistas.
    Player: OPPO 105.
    Preamp: B&K Ref 50 S2.
    Amp: B&K Ref 125.2 S2
    Sub: Rythmik F12.
    Sub management: SMS-1.
    Headphones: HD800, HD380, RS220, SRH-1840. Headphone amp: Woo WA2.
    Room treatment: GIK Room Kit #1.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,192
    Had a great time, even walked a lot without a crutch. We need to make this a two day event as there is so much gear to listen to. Don't think we got to hear half of it.
    We did have a couple of "kids" that got new gear, hint,hint skip/voltz.
    How about chiming in on the new toys?
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,000
    I am not sure what happened but I took home your Volterra's instead....My BAD!

I saw the VOLT part and thought they were meant for me...I'll bring them back in May for the LSAF! sorry!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,658
    Yeah Skip...let's hear about those new toys we got to play with and how they may have corrupted your soul! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,772
    This GTG inspired me to make a few mods to my listening room. I mentioned to probably everyone I talked to on Saturday that my listening room is an acoustical mess. Well, today I took a few steps to improve the problem. While my room is still very far from perfect, I now at least have a chair in the sweet spot. I've done more listening today than I've probably done combined since I moved into this house in March and I plan on pouring a cocktail and enjoying a bit more later.

So, thanks for the inspiration fellas.

And speaking of cocktails, a special shout out to Daryl for the fine bourbon. Very nice of you to share stuff of that caliber.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,022
    As always, I wish I had more people here, but the company that was here was great. I do this to be an all day event and think its worthy of it. Taking the time to set up gear in multiple rooms and get them sounding halfway decent to actually pretty darn good in a matter of 24 hours is quite a feat.

Much like last year, I think the area that really impressed was my living room. The Rosso Fiorentino Volterra were absolutely singing with my new-to-me Norma Audio SC-2B preamplifier and 8.7MR monoblocks, fronted by the Aries Mini and North Star Intenso.

Sonner got some good play with with the Allegro Unum, their flagship monitor, in my daughter's bedroom. It was a good room for bookies and they were really able to showcase what they were about. Ryan also spent some time with the Rosso Fiorentino Pienza in this room and it was another great pairing.

Unfortunately we didn't get to swap gear much at all. People kept dropping in randomly which prevented some experimentation. I'm a little sad as I kept so much of this gear on hand for the event, but then again, I do this for the people and not the gear.

On the tail end of that, I'm now piecing together for sale ads, so keep your eyes peeled or reach out to me if you saw something listed that interested you.

Special thanks to Darryl and Ryan for their help setting up and breaking down for the meet. There were a lot of heavy speakers that were much easier to move as a two man job.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,701
    Excellent, thanks @ZLTFUL .
    Den: Rega RP6 (mods) * AT33PTGII * Jolida jd9 (mods) * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 iii * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2 (full mods)
    Office: Roon * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass Amp Camp Amp * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Hartley Reference Mini-Tower
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se (mods) * Speed Box II * DL103r * Belles 20a Phono * Roon * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods)
  • MilitoMilito Posts: 161
    Great review!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Polk S55, S30, PSW505, Sony BPD-S3200, Technics PD867, Audio-Technica AT-LP60, AudioQuest Type 4 Speaker Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Amp, Sony KDS-50A3000.
    Well spoken Ryan! Nice Review.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688
    Looks like it was a good time!
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,811
    The Pienza speakers sound intriguing.
    Got Dayens?
  • halohalo Posts: 4,431
    Great review @ZLTFUL

Ryan,

Where would you place the Usher Mini X in the rankings? IIRC, Skip is fond of the Mini X and the BE-10.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,570
    edited October 24
    Those MD2's will be finding their way to Louisville (home) very soon. Looking forward to getting a pair of Usher back in my house. Still regret (somewhat) not getting the X when the opportunity was there a couple of years ago. That may be one I let get away.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,192
    the mini x and mini dancer1 is voiced more towards the original 718 dmd whereas the mini dancer 2 is voiced towards the larger dancer speakers.
    if you had also taken the Be tweeters you would had a lot fun with mood speakers.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    halo wrote: »
    Great review @ZLTFUL

Ryan,

Where would you place the Usher Mini X in the rankings? IIRC, Skip is fond of the Mini X and the BE-10.

I still am. Comparable models for Rosso Fiorentino are a considerable step up in price but also go so much further
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    halo wrote: »
    Great review @ZLTFUL

Ryan,

I honestly haven't had nearly enough time with any of the Ushers outside of the V-601s I have here.

I really want to get a pair of BE-10s home for the holidays but I don't feel like my office listening space will give them the room they need. Plus Skip wouldn't just let me have them either.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I honestly haven't had nearly enough time with any of the Ushers outside of the V-601s I have here.

I really want to get a pair of BE-10s home for the holidays but I don't feel like my office listening space will give them the room they need. Plus Skip wouldn't just let me have them either.
    You either, huh? I was trying the walk out the door with the Mastersound BoX for a very lengthy "demo."
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Those MD2's will be finding their way to Louisville (home) very soon. Looking forward to getting a pair of Usher back in my house. Still regret (somewhat) not getting the X when the opportunity was there a couple of years ago. That may be one I let get away.

All things being equal, I personally prefer the MD2 over the Mini X. That being said, I have not heard the in the same room with the same electronics behind them.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,570
    I have a fondness for the bookies.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

More gear to play with. The demo Volterra sold tonight and I’m auditioning this as a potential trade.

c5in0baaaduh.jpeg
    audiothesis.com/

• GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,567
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks @ZLTFUL .

Ditto
    Thanks, man!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    DAC North Star Design Supremo
    Source PSA PWT & Oppo 105
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Pre Cary SLP-98 F1
    Center Salk HT2C
    Wires MIT S3.3
    PSA PC AC-12
    I'm am enjoying the Rosso's "Fiesols of course! and had a great time. after all of the OT I have had to endure thru this year this was a great way to relax that I need so much!

The Normas are special from what my ears have heard.

voltz wrote: »
    I'm am enjoying the Rosso's "Fiesols of course! and had a great time. after all of the OT I have had to endure thru this year this was a great way to relax that I need so much!

The Normas are special from what my ears have heard.

Let me know when you are bored with the Fiesoles. I will come grab them to free up the space for their replacement and I won’t even charge you for gas!

1235»