TCL 55" LCD on sale this weekend

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
For anyone needing a decent LCD, who also has a Roku, this might be worth it for you.

4K, HDR & Dolby live, 55" LCD that loads the Roku interface by default.... for 500 bucks......
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I've seen several of these. They compete well with mid-level Samsung, LG, and Sony models. Great TV on a budget. When you look at the picture you get for $500, you question whether or not a same size high-end model is really worth four times the price...
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    After living with a Panasonic Plasma for several years, will have to wait it out for an OLED we like and will not lose thousands in value the first year.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Thats a bangin deal...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2018
    I agree its a bargain. I've honestly been super impressed with some of the previously unknown TV brands as of late. We have 2 Insignia TV's (loft and bedroom) and they for the price are hard to beat.

I use to think you needed a Samsung, Panasonic, or LG to really get something quality (and TBH that used to be the case), but lately brands like Visio, Insignia and TCL are basically neck and neck with them... The manufacturing process has really gotten good, and also cheap because of high demand.

However Element, Westinghouse, Sanyo, and other brands are still bottom of the barrel for me, but the mid range LCD makers are getting closer and closer to the big dogs.

I think our next TV's in both the bedroom and loft will be Roku versions as thats mainly what we use, so it would be nice to load right into that.

The living room TV will continue to be one where I pay for quality, but until my Plasma kicks the dust, its staying. And when I look to replace it, I will be considering Vizio, Insignia and TCL along with Panasonic and Samsung.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That's going to be a bioitch to hang. ...

Nah! Just set it on a VTI rack. :p
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55C803-Vision-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B077GPXMWL

I’ve been mulling this over for the last couple weeks for the bedroom. Just can’t quite pull the trigger...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/uhdtv-mu6103/

50" MU6070 Smart 4K UHD TV

Bought 2 of these yesterday for my clients office for $378 plus tax @Fry's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

That's what you paid, what did ya charge the client ? I mean...paint brushes cost money ya know. :):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    378 EACH or 378 for the pair lol? And what do they do better than the TCL? Asking for a friend lol
  • txcoastal1
    That was for each
    Best Buy sells them for $499
    I charged the client $565ea
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55C803-Vision-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B077GPXMWL

I’ve been mulling this over for the last couple weeks for the bedroom. Just can’t quite pull the trigger...

Data Point.
    Bought a TCL tv from Amazon for Herself about 7-8 years ago before we got married. She had no tv at the time because she wasn't interested in it. Got it as a basic, inexpensive unit so I could watch football at her place on a fall Sunday, if need be.
    Got the TCL because reviews, a that time, said the no-name brand had pretty good reliability.

Said tv is still working & in our guest bedroom.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2018
    The 55” TCL ROKU televisions come in two different versions and the one from B.B. doesn’t have a good remote. You can’t swap it out for the remote on the other TCL set either. That said, the TV, itself, is exactly the same.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2018
    My wife got a TCL 42" as a gift choice for 20 years employment. We put it in our living room and liked the picture a lot.

BUT...our local Spectrum cable provider had NO code to hook it up with the cable box's remote. I lived with 2 remotes for about a month and said, that's it, I'm switching back to our Samsung. The TCL has been sitting in our spare bedroom for over a year now. :(

PS. Maybe they have a code for this brand now. I'll have to check.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

That's my kind of SALE PRICE! ;):p
  • txcoastal1
    Yeah I was shocked. When I was searching online, Frys regular retail was $499, see price in cart was $427...I was just looking for availability at local store. Went to pick them up $378 plus tax. Win Win

• Tony M
    I love unexpected savings! :p
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    The iconic Grauman's Chinese Theater which became the Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood is now called the TCL Chinese Theater. it's the movie theater with all the Hollywood legends hand and foot prints in the cement. It's where many movie premiers are held.

Some of TCL's technology has been incorporated into the movie theater, so I imagine the quality is pretty darned good.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    TCL reminds me of the market position Vizio was in about 7-9 years ago. They could be a household name before too long.
  • tonyb
    LeftCoast wrote: »
    The iconic Grauman's Chinese Theater which became the Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood is now called the TCL Chinese Theater. it's the movie theater with all the Hollywood legends hand and foot prints in the cement. It's where many movie premiers are held.

I don't suppose....the hookers and drug pushers on Sunset strip care much about A/V quality. While the Chinese theater has it's history, everything around it has turned to trash. Yet just down the street is Beverly Hills, go figure. Like someone drew a line and said you stay on this side.

I can't attest to TCL's quality, in a theater that isn't in a nice area of town, but I'm sure as the bargain brand they are, corners are cut somewhere for consumer products. You simply don't get a Mercedes at Ford prices and come away with the same quality.

The flipside is, not everyone NEEDS a Mercedes and the Ford would do just fine for them. That's the customer base these budget brands aim at, and there is lots of customers in that market segment.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I'm pretty sure TCL manufacturer's their own panels, which many TV companies do not.

Solid TV sets.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I'm pretty sure TCL manufacturer's their own panels, which many TV companies do not.

Solid TV sets.

Very few do actually.
  • tonyb

Solid TV sets.

Might be true, most don't either, but it's no guarantee of a great screen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    K_M wrote: »
    After living with a Panasonic Plasma for several years, will have to wait it out for an OLED we like and will not lose thousands in value the first year.

A rare occasion, we agree on something. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Nice price on the TCL. Their products test out well for the money.

However, being the tinkering type I just can't spend a lot of money on new TV's. I see so many non working sets on Craigslist all the time. So, my 70" Sharp, 48" Samsung, and 39" Toshiba we're Craigslist specials that I repaired. Typical LED and power supply issue. I also have an older 46" Samsung in the basement that works when it warms up. I couldn't repair it as it has a panel issue.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    edited May 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    LeftCoast wrote: »

I don't suppose....the hookers and drug pushers on Sunset strip care much about A/V quality. While the Chinese theater has it's history, everything around it has turned to trash. Yet just down the street is Beverly Hills, go figure. Like someone drew a line and said you stay on this side.

I can't attest to TCL's quality, in a theater that isn't in a nice area of town, but I'm sure as the bargain brand they are, corners are cut somewhere for consumer products. You simply don't get a Mercedes at Ford prices and come away with the same quality.

The flipside is, not everyone NEEDS a Mercedes and the Ford would do just fine for them. That's the customer base these budget brands aim at, and there is lots of customers in that market segment.

Pretty sure the hookers and the drug dealers don't go Hollywood Blvd to go to the movies unless you know something I don't know. Jimmy Kimmel's show is shot right down the street literally a 5 minute walk away. I don't think the hookers and drug dealers are going to his show either. LOL. Also, Hollywood wouldn't hold red carpet movie premieres at that theater with all the rich and famous who attend, if the PQ and SQ and acoustics of the theaters and all the other bling were not up to the entertainment industry's standards.

As for the difference between Hollywood and Beverly Hills, it's easily explained. Beverly Hills is its own city, with its own Police Dept, City Government, etc. If you go to the areas where Beverly Hills is on one side of the street and L.A. is on the other, you will literally see that one side is paved nicely and is tree lined, and the other side is pot holed and in serious need of a face lift. For the celebs, etc who actually live in Hollywood, the transients and others aren't going to trudge of into the Hollywood Hills where the celebs live, and even if they did, there is armed private security on patrol 24 /7 and the LAPD responds very quickly to any calls there.