Wilson Tune Tot

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm done wasting my time and money chasing the ultimate sound. I'm settling with good, solid equipment and saying to heck with all the madness. They've lost their dam minds.

This is exactly how I feel. I’ve made some nice additions to my system that have it sounding spectacular. A friend of mine owns an audio shop, So I listen to a lot of systems in the 6 figure range. When I go home and turn mine on, I don’t feel as though I’m missing anything. Hopefully nothing breaks lol

I have a few friends who are nuts, they swap gear in and out like they are changing socks. I don’t understand it. I do know that I know it can be addicting, but the financial loss must be crazy.

I bet it’s very addicting.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Having said that...I still want to hear them, lol...It's a sickness. I CAN"T HELP IT!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Having said that...I still want to hear them, lol...It's a sickness. I CAN"T HELP IT!

Just like looking at a nice pair of .....oh never mind :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Options

Dang it... me too
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The answer to the A3?

LOL. A desk top speaker versus a floor stander. I don’t think so.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Audio concepts here are displaying these. I refuse to go unless our local Paul goes with me. They are too damn busy all the damn time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2018
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Audio concepts here are displaying these. I refuse to go unless our local Paul goes with me. They are too damn busy all the damn time.

You spend 10k on what appears to be over priced mini monitors and I will fly back out there and slap you upside the head, hold you down while the wife beats you silly too, leave my phone in the taxi...again, and not think twice about it. ;)

....and I still got no frickin' BBQ out there !!! Now I'm stoked....go buy 'em....give me something to do. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Pffft, AC will never get a dime from me. Luther and John paid them a visit...let's say they weren't impressed with the sales guys...I'll leave it at that
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Pffft, AC will never get a dime from me. Luther and John paid them a visit...let's say they weren't impressed with the sales guys...I'll leave it at that

Audio sales guys can be just like used car salesmen. You find a good one, hold on to them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2018
    Options
    They got the same 2 sales guys I did, someone needs to teach them not to read a book by it's cover ;)

I was ready to drop well over $10k on a dac a couple years ago,
    hmm Halen and I were very cool, laid back, and knowledgeable, and we both felt snubbed

• Joey_V
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    They got the same 2 sales guys I did, someone needs to teach them not to read a book by it's cover ;)

I was ready to drop well over $10k on a dac a couple years ago,
    hmm Halen and I were very cool, laid back, and knowledgeable, and we both felt snubbed

Don’t worry it’s not just you guys.

They snubbed me too while I was looking at Wilson Alexia. So I bought the Strads and they were not happy when they found out.

They also snubbed my friend who was looking at Wilson Sabrina.

And they would barely let our audiophile group in to listen privately to the Wilson Alexx even as one of our members requested as he was literally checking out and paying for a pair of Wilson Sasha 2.

My good friend made a comment, “someone needs to teach these guys a lesson in sales.”

The biggest whale in our group buys from AC but he told me straight up he only deals with the owner Mark and not the minions who are useless.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    halen wrote: »

ha !, busy doing nothing but ignoring you.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I would like to experience one, but the price is absurd and everything you see is "optional".

The price is not absurd relative to the market segment that Wilson serves. I don't expect Ferrari to ever offer an "affordable" car to market. I don't expect Wilson Audio to ever offer an "affordable" loudspeaker to market.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    There was a time that Ferrari offered a value line. In the old days, if it didn't have a V-12, it wasn't a Ferrari -- it was a Dino.

i6ofn8ebhfy8.png

Heck, even JBL had Bolivar...

w2bdiw7zt5hc.png
    y2f79x9d5fxa.png

and Bose had their Interaudio brand - for the bottom-feeders ;)

hxep6ys0vo8q.png
    m1dv4qyi8amd.png
    p8vphuf5zhja.png

Besides, I cannot think of Wilson loudspeakers without thinkin' of this guy.

65ug58bn8lm4.png
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Yep.

Professional Sports players and High-level income earners are Wilson's targets for sure. :p

I was thinking of buying $12K B&W speakers from our local high-end audio store.

The owner and main sales man (who's know for being rude and like others have said, pre-judgemental) sold me the wrong spikes for a set of speakers he used to sell. I went in to tell him about them not fitting, he told me to go to Lowes or somewhere to get adaptors.

I swore he'd never get a big sale from me when the time came! He doesn't know how close I came to buying those big B&W's. ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Yep.

Professional Sports players and High-level income earners are Wilson's targets for sure. :p

I was thinking of buying $12K B&W speakers from our local high-end audio store.

The owner and main sales man (who's know for being rude and like others have said, pre-judgemental) sold me the wrong spikes for a set of speakers he used to sell. I went in to tell him about them not fitting, he told me to go to Lowes or somewhere to get adaptors.

I swore he'd never get a big sale from me when the time came! He doesn't know how close I came to buying those big B&W's. ;)

I have several audiophile friends who text me on the daily, a few are wilson owners and run in the group we have locally. Even they can't believe that Wilson really launched a set of computer speakers (excuse me, executive suite speakers) for $10,000 without even including the base stand or the grill.

Imagine that, no grill on a near $10,000 unit.

The Sabrina filled a void for a small easy to place floor stander, it is about 8x the volume of these Tots and it costs $15700.

These tots should have been $7000 at most, and included the grills. At $10,000 I find this to be highway robbery. They're just really pushing the prices as high up as they can.

I don't blame them. Make the money. A lot of money in Asia... that's where a lot of these will go.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I've been waiting to see the Golden Ear Reference TOTL speakers to go on sale or have a price drop but Nooooo. I guess as long as they're selling, they'll hold on their pricing. ;):(:'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    I keep thinking about all the mid to high five figure and six figure speakers at AXPONA that made me and my friend either scratch our heads in bewilderment...or outright ran us out of the room.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I keep thinking about all the mid to high five figure and six figure speakers at AXPONA that made me and my friend either scratch our heads in bewilderment...or outright ran us out of the room.

Room acoustics are one.

And playing the price card is the other.

By that I mean when manufacturers build TO A PRICE rather than build to a sound. I have read numerous times how they want to build a speaker set for Asia... it’s gotta be big and grand and flashy and expensive.

Asia is where all these hyper expensive units go. Where even the affluent in the USA don’t play. A totally different sandbox altogether.

I should’ve stayed in Asia
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I reckon that a lot of the ultra-high-end (high priced) stuff also ends up in places like Saudi Arabia & the United Arab Emirates. Maybe some in Russian oligarchs' pads, too(?).
  • txcoastal1
    Options

Scaena's fall in that category IMHO

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There was a time that Ferrari offered a value line. In the old days, if it didn't have a V-12, it wasn't a Ferrari -- it was a Dino.

I remember those. They were often referred to in the U.S. as "Dino Ferraris" or "Ferrari Dinos". But that was like referring to a Toyota Camry as a "Lexus Toyota" or "Toyota Lexus".

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Everything audio cost so much it does become a balancing act to get what you want at a reasonable price. While I have no need for computer speakers, I bet the Tiny Tot would do a good job. Not sure whether it will do a $10K job. :)

At this point, I want to upgrade my Lumin, my Typhon, my HT front speakers, and the center channel. The new Lumin X1 is rumored to have a list price of $14K (I hope it is lower), the new Typhon QR is $9K list, and the Magico A3 is $10K list. The Magico center channel hasn’t been announced yet, so no idea of its price. While I will get this gear for less than list, it still is a lot. Need more beer drinking time to think about this move. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Everything audio cost so much it does become a balancing act to get what you want at a reasonable price. While I have no need for computer speakers, I bet the Tiny Tot would do a good job. Not sure whether it will do a $10K job. :)

At this point, I want to upgrade my Lumin, my Typhon, my HT front speakers, and the center channel. The new Lumin X1 is rumored to have a list price of $14K (I hope it is lower), the new Typhon QR is $9K list, and the Magico A3 is $10K list. The Magico center channel hasn’t been announced yet, so no idea of its price. While I will get this gear for less than list, it still is a lot. Need more beer drinking time to think about this move. :)

I agree, the prices are getting absurd... seems like high end manufacturers are just feeding off each other.

Honestly the tech is better but not magnitudes better. I recall in 2008 I never heard of a bookshelf that cost >$20,000 until the Magico Mini II was introduced.

Since then, everyone has tried to make a bookshelf at that price point. It’s not that tech and cost of manufacture be that much more, but seems like if the cherry has been popped, it’s a free for all.
  • OldSchoolPolk
    OldSchoolPolk Posts: 159
    Options
    One could save $9,500 and go for the SVS Prime Wireless pair. I'm sure (?) the Wilsons sound better, but what tips the scale for me is the SVS come with grills. Can you say "value!"
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2018
    Options
    One could save $9,500 and go for the SVS Prime Wireless pair. I'm sure (?) the Wilsons sound better, but what tips the scale for me is the SVS come with grills. Can you say "value!"

Lol the grills

That does get to me, I’ve never seen a speaker where the grill was optional. Before you know it, all Wilson speakers will have optional grills once they market-test this Tune Tot product

It’s like getting stabbed... then the knife is rotated and twisted.
  • marvda1
    edited May 2018
    Options
    revel had a speaker where the grill that covered the tweeter and mid range was optional.
    the performa f30
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    revel had a speaker where the grill that covered the tweeter and mid range was optional.
    the performa f30

Really.

Bet it wasn’t $300.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Seriously though witha name like Tune ToT...they'd be perfect for your kids Joey
    It's says it right in the name ;)

• marvda1
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the performa f30

Really.

Bet it wasn’t $300.

found it, grills were $240
    Puritan PSM156