Do You Lend Your Physical Media?

Options
Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,067
edited May 2018 in The Clubhouse
Do you lend your physical media to your friends? Is it unreasonable to not want to lend out expensive arse LP's? Does the person asking know how to properly handle an LP? Are they going to leave it on the turntable to collect dust afterwards then shove it in the MoFi sleeve the next day with dust all over it? I have no clue. I've seen a lot of people on YouTube (usually younger LP collectors) even showing off records that will grab the record with their hand like this:

truelove2.jpg

Are they going to be mad when you find a scuff on a once pristine LP and now you want them to pay the value of it? Do you eat the value, deal with the scuff, and learn who not to lend things out to anymore?

How about things like movies, old cartridge based video games (expensive!), concert Blurays, CD's, SACD's, etc.?

I feel like it's just easier to say no and deal with them thinking it's because you're stingy and over protective. There's people on this forum I would lend physical media out to before most people I know in "real life" because I know they know how to care for it. Any CD's, LP's, video games, etc I buy new are still in pristine condition at this moment and anything I buy used is in the same condition it was when I bought it. I see too many people with stacks of upside down discs. Even not putting the disc back in it's own case irks me. Like putting your Talking Heads CD away but putting it in the Rolling Stone's case because that is what was closest to you.

Or am I actually over the top protective about this?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    Options
    I used to, but not anymore. One too many lost CDs, damaged inserts, fingerprinted discs, etc.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Do I? Hell no!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    When my friends started spreading their seed and birthing children, that was the tipping point for me. My movies and CDs no longer leave my house. I've gotten burned too many times in my twenties from my adult friends not treating my music CDs the same way I do. And my biggest peeve is lending out a CD for them to listen to and then waiting two months to get it back. If you didn't have time to listen to it, you shouldn't have borrowed it. I won't even tolerate finger prints on discs. I've never scratched a disc in my life.

I'm lucky enough to have a local library, that up until a year ago, would purchase CDs, Blu-rays and DVDs to lend out. When they would get something new in, I'd always try to be first on the list to check it out because of the way people treat the library's property. If I was the third person to check out a disc, it was sometimes already too late. Scratches, scuffs, spilled soft drinks. I really dislike people. The library no longer purchases physical media, they now use an online service called Hoopla Digital for streaming. In fact, right now they are selling off about 20% of their music CDs for 50 cents a piece. I wouldn't give them ten cents for their circulated discs. I've purchased plenty of used discs from pawn shop and eBay, but they have to be in like new condition. Gone are the days of used music shops. Out of business. At least Blu-ray discs are extremely hard to scratch, but I'm sure my friends could do it!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Nope don't even ask.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I'm an only child; 'nuff said ;)

In seriousness, I will lend stuff to many folks I know who, by and large, have better hardware than I and take as good or better care of their software ("media") than do I.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I do NOT lend my CDs or movies out to people. Period end of story.
    My parents, however, love to lend movies to other people who haven’t seen it yet. We used to have the movie Cars (back when it was my absolute favorite movie) and I would watch it every day or two. I had all the toys, and everything. And my mom lent the movie to someone who hadn’t seen it (this was years ago, when the movie was still kind of new) and they kept it for like a year. Then, they moved! They are now living in Arkansas with OUR Cars movie! I personally don’t care anymore, but back when I was little kid obsessed with that movie, I was heartbroken. And my parents continue to lend out their DVDs and CDs for some reason. I just don’t understand it.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    Options
    The only person I would consider would be by brother-in-law. I know he would take care of my stuff but his stylus ain't touching my records.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Eh... Stuff is stuff, and 99% of the time it's replaceable (friends are not). My philosophy is keep friends who would respect what they're borrowing. So, either I have no friends, or my stuff is undesirable, because rarely does anyone ask to borrow anything from me! :p

In all seriousness, I do take care of my media, and if someone I know wants to borrow a Blu-ray, CD, equipment, etc., I have no problem loaning it to them. If it's something rare, special, or irreplaceable, I let them know that (and make them buy the insurance!)
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I used to lend out my vinyl all the time, way back in the day. And yeah, it often came back in a condition that made me regret doing it.

I still lend out Bluray and DVDs today. Worst part with them, is trying to remember who has what.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited May 2018
    Options

Nbrowser would lend out his wife/girlfriend before lending out a CD/DVD... :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Is she hot?

Like stolen?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I loaned a box of albums to a good friend once and they came back all scratched up and dirty as heck. I was pizzed and quizzed him. He said he let another buddy use some of them “just to tape.” He denied the LPs were F’d up. Said they were just like he got them. Another time I loaned a friend a turntable I had in storage and after awhile he called and said something was wrong. When I looked at the TT I could immediately see the stylus had been snapped off. He denied he did it and said, “maybe it came here that way.” When I mentioned it wouldn’t have played if it came that way, he mentioned his girlfriend hated the stereo and his man cave in general. Needless to say, neither are my good friends anymore. If you value your physical media, then “hell no!”
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Only to my brother-in-law, I know he takes care of his stuff like I do.
    For anyone else? "Sure, you can borrow that CD/DVD." They will simply get an
    archival copy - if i feel like lending it out. End of story.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Movies to Family, No biggy
    Music doesn't go out to anyone.
    I learned my lesson well.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    I guess I’m with Al on this one. Almost everything I own physically is backed up to a hard drive and that’s the main way I access it, so if I didn’t get it back it wouldn’t be the end of the world (I don’t do vinyl or sacds - that might be different). BUT all my adult friends stream pretty exclusively, so no one asks me. Or maybe they don’t like me :'(
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Ah! I just remembered the actual reason of why I don't lend anything out, it's because I have no friends.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I used to lend to my friends. in my younger days. However, I have learned not to lend to my friends, because there will be a very good chance that once the item is returned or supposed to be returned, they will no longer be my friend.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    I loaned a box of albums to a good friend once and they came back all scratched up and dirty as heck. I was pizzed and quizzed him. He said he let another buddy use some of them “just to tape.” He denied the LPs were F’d up. Said they were just like he got them. Another time I loaned a friend a turntable I had in storage and after awhile he called and said something was wrong. When I looked at the TT I could immediately see the stylus had been snapped off. He denied he did it and said, “maybe it came here that way.” When I mentioned it wouldn’t have played if it came that way, he mentioned his girlfriend hated the stereo and his man cave in general. Needless to say, neither are my good friends anymore. If you value your physical media, then “hell no!”

Man. Mistakes happen, own it, replace the thing you broke, and move on. Why try to lie about it or blame it on someone else?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Absolutely...NOT! People don't treat your stuff the way you do, and some don't give it back at all.

It is not being unreasonable, it is the safest way to keep your stuff with you and intact.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @Hermitism I like you. I really dislike people too. :#
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Cool life hack that I saw. Make the borrower take a picture holding the item they are borrowing. Make them hold it up next to their face like they are selling it. This will usually result in them withdrawing the request. It may even get them out of your house! "Why I never!" Thats right Finster and you never will again, now get out of my humble abode before I call the cops on you for trying to steal my record! A precisely aimed boot usually seals the deal.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Oh, to live a day in your shoes.
    Cool life hack that I saw. Make the borrower take a picture holding the item they are borrowing. Make them hold it up next to their face like they are selling it. This will usually result in them withdrawing the request. It may even get them out of your house! "Why I never!" Thats right Finster and you never will again, now get out of my humble abode before I call the cops on you for trying to steal my record! A precisely aimed boot usually seals the deal.

• afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Clipdat no you don't want that, I've thrown myself out of my own house for less.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Besides, I don't think you could walk around in pumps all day.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Never vinyl, never any kind of disc. For a digital disc, I will burn them a copy and send them on the way. Heck, I'm afraid to handle my vinyl half the time...
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Options
    Back when DVDs had first come out someone asked if they could borrow one. I relented and let them. It came back a month later and it was in one of the "cardboard" DVD boxes they used to make. The case was destroyed and the disc was scratched up. It was handed back with the "here you go, thanks (I took real good care of it)" attitude.

Never again after that.

If you invite me over to watch the movie or listen to the disc while I'm there, then I'll bring it - but never unsupervised.

I was taught that if you ever borrowed something, you brought it back in the same condition or better than when you took it. Not everyone has that same viewpoint.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I feel the people that "HAVE", take care of what they have.

The people who "DON'T HAVE" don't have because they don't know how to take care of s**t! Therefore, they have to borrow. I know NOT ALL borrowers are loathsome but from the responses I've just read and then my own bad experiences lending things out, there are a majority of borrowers who suck with responsibility skills. :/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Many times cd's have gone for a stay to the right person. I also have no problem lending gear out to the right person either. It's a 2 way street and I've borrowed my share as well.