Need some smart electrical people to chime in...

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    [ but, I am an industrial electrician (work with robots mainly)

Good to know, so when Halen posts about repairs to his sexbot, we have someone in house. That is why he sold off all his audio gear for those not in the know. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    m5aczi3mhs70.jpg

so, I am too darned lazy to re-read this whole thread, so I am just gonna drop two thoughts here, as-is and FWIW.

1) The leakage to the front panel may be normal and meet UL guidance (or whatever).

2) The current focus on the outlet and/or circuit suggests a simple troubleshooting opportunity -- and I apologize if this has been tried and I just missed it or forgot!

Has the OP taken the tingly component*, disconnected it and then plugged it in on another circuit? Another interesting thing to try. Disconnect only the interconnects that connect the tingler to other hardware, then power it up and test for tingles.

Grounding/ground loops/ground currents are wily things, IMO/IME :|

* since it's the amp, I realize this is nontrivial. BUT -- It does permit the reductionist approach of unplugging things from the amp piecemeal, then checking for da tinglez. If the amp is isolated completely (i.e., no speakers connected), just turn the volume to zero and turn "off" the speaker outputs (if possible). If not, the amp should be happy with open circuited outputs... or one may install dummy loads if one is extra-concerned about the amp's safety.

... and, again, I apologize if the OP's done all this already!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I do have a rat and/or squirrel problem. Can he help with that?

Only if he could also use your kitchen after said varmint has been apprehended.....
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Based on the description it seems to me it's a ground loop in the system caused by the CD player. If it's taken out of the system does the vibration go away in the other components?

The Yamaha integrated is over built to prevent external mechanical vibrations.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Do you mean electrical people like a model XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual roto- plooker?
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

so, I am too darned lazy to re-read this whole thread, so I am just gonna drop two thoughts here, as-is and FWIW.

1) The leakage to the front panel may be normal and meet UL guidance (or whatever).

... etc, etc

Appreciate the advice. I did do a lot of that and isolated it to the CD player and the amp each able to "tingle" the other via the IC's connecting them. Even if the component "being tingled" is unplugged from a power source. The difference being that the amp needs to be powered on to be the tingler, the CD player will tingle even with power off.

I don't really want to move the amp around but will try the CD player in different outlets to see what happens.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Based on the description it seems to me it's a ground loop in the system caused by the CD player. If it's taken out of the system does the vibration go away in the other components?

The Yamaha integrated is over built to prevent external mechanical vibrations.

See above post for the answer. Also these are not mechanical vibrations but very low AC current being conducted through my body to ground. The vibration is 60 Hz. For instance if I touch a tingling component and reach across to the metal frame of my fireplace then the fireplace frame feels tingly.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Options
    Being the owner of an old commercial building, checking the wiring is a good idea. We redid the whole building about 15 years ago, as the circuit breakers in 3 boxes were unavailable anymore and there were dozens upon dozens of unused wires that were live but not connected to anything on one end. When all the old cloth wires were removed, the area where the boxes are is almost 10 degrees cooler and all the lights are brighter too. And the constant hum heard was dropped about 90%.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.