Need some smart electrical people to chime in...

Options
Jetmaker737
Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
So I was wiping a smudge off of my Yamaha amp with the back of a finger when I noticed what felt like a slight mechanical buzz in the metal case. What's weird is I could only feel it when moving the finger along the metal, not when holding it still. After messing around a bit I discovered this same buzz on all three components, Amp, CD player, and tuner. This is my setup:

m5aczi3mhs70.jpg

My fear was that my new amp is messed up since I could disconnect IC's from a component and stop the buzz at that component. I did a lot of swapping around of cords plugged/unplugged, IC's in/out, etc. This is my plug arrangement below. Amp cord is in one receptacle, plug strip with CD, tuner, and SBT in the other. (nevermind the wad of wires on the right. Those are not connected)

uoli08y8oh7s.jpg

Results of all the swapping is:

1. The amp will buzz when powered on (and so will everything else). It will not buzz powered off (except see #2 below)
2. The CD player will buzz when plugged in even when powered off and even when the amp is disconnected from the CD or the amp is unplugged from the wall. The CD player will cause all the other components to buzz too. Disconnecting IC's or unplugging the CD player stops it.
3. One other thing... when everything has been powered off for awhile there is no buzz anywhere. It takes a minute for the buzz to return after powering up the amp or the CD player.
4. Note that there is no audible hum from components or speakers.

So I'm figuring this is maybe a problem with the grounding of the house electrical supply? But it seems there's some kind of capacitance contribution from the components. Any helpful suggestions appreciated. Also, is there risk of damage in running the system like this?

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    It is AC leakage onto the chassis of the component(s).
    It may be within allowable limits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Break out the dvom and start probing!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

This but carefully^^^^^ very carefully
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

You can measure to the electrical ground to see if it's volts or millivolts between chassis' and ground

I often feel these buzzes when working around ceiling grid....still creeps me out
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jetmaker737
    Options
    I have an old analog VOM. So I would probe the chassis with one lead... where would I find the electrical ground?
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The ground plug in on your outlet or power strip
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If your outlet is full take out the screw holding the faceplate off. And carefully stick the tip of the probe in. The screw thread is grounded to the junction box. You can also take the faceplate off and touch anywhere on the metal box for ground. But again be careful.

A ground on another outlet will work too.

Make sure your meter is set for AC volts and make sure you are only touching the insulated probe handles.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    If your outlet is full take out the screw holding the faceplate off. And carefully stick the tip of the probe in. The screw thread is grounded to the junction box. You can also take the faceplate off and touch anywhere on the metal box for ground. But again be careful.

Make sure your meter is set for AC volts and make sure you are only touching the insulated probe handles.

Many residential boxes are plastic

• Jetmaker737
    Options
    Well I took my old analog meter and probed from the chassis to one of the ground receptacles in the plug strip. Got no reading. Smallest scale available was 2.5 VAC.
  • delkal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

Many residential boxes are plastic

Even then the hole for the faceplate screw is grounded. Also the "wings" where you put the 2 screws to mount the receptacle into the box are grounded as well.
    Well I took my old analog meter and probed from the chassis to one of the ground receptacles in the plug strip. Got no reading. Smallest scale available was 2.5 VAC.

Did you check to see if you are getting 110v from the right side plug (I think that one is hot) to ground. Make sure you have your meter set to 200volts and make sure it is on AC (not DC). Be even more careful this time.

How old is your house? Are you sure the plug is properly grounded?

What happens when you disconnect everything from your surge protector and plug everything into a cheap power strip?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Be especially careful using an analog VOM, they draw current to operate and can toast sensitive electronics if placed incorrectly. Chassis voltage checks will not be a problem, I wouldn't recommend going inside with it though.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The ground plug in on your outlet or power strip

This would be the easiest place to start, and probably the most likely culprit. You have some nice gear there, a power conditioner should be in your future and get rid of that power strip.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    get rid of that power strip.

That was my first thought.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    What was the second ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What was the second ? :)

Don't rush him ;)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well I was going to suggest @lightman1 give some advice... but you asked for "SMART" electrical people :wink: .

This also wholly rules me out as I'm dumb as a box of rock about electricity beyond the fact that a fork in a socket works 50 times better than any coffee to wake me up.

So its been my goto for years (which is why my hair is spiked :grin: )
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well I was going to suggest @lightman1 give some advice... but you asked for "SMART" electrical people :wink: .

This also wholly rules me out as I'm dumb as a box of rock about electricity beyond the fact that a fork in a socket works 50 times better than any coffee to wake me up.

So its been my goto for years (which is why my hair is spiked :grin: )

ouch. :p

Back, kinda sorta, on topic, here are some tidbits on AC leakage that might be helpful and/or of interest to the OP. Or not. :p
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/feeling-a-tingle-of-electricity-on-the-front-of-the-receiver.689797/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-resistor.761888/

EDIT: couple more :)

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/60556/grounding-and-why-charge-leakage-occurs
    http://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/im-shocked-why-am-i-getting-a-tingle-394771
  • delkal
    Options
    Get a plug in receptacle ground tester. They are cheap and it will instantly show if your receptacle is hooked up and grounded correctly.

tky701b0xn3w.jpg

https://amazon.com/Power-Gear-Receptacle-Indications-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Not a bad thing to have around -- but I doubt (FWIW) there's anything hooked up "wrong".
  • Jetmaker737
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Probably a good suggestion but the power strip is not the culprit. When the CD and Amp are plugged directly into the wall the condition still exists. It's gotta be the house ground. The house is over 100 years old though much has been upgraded.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options

Probably a good suggestion but the power strip is not the culprit. When the CD and Amp are plugged directly into the wall the condition still exists. It's gotta be the house ground. The house is over 100 years old though much has been upgraded.

Love how the OP asks for "smart electrical people" yet can confirm that the power strip is not the culprit. Did you remove the power strip completely? I'm no expert by any means, but, I am an industrial electrician (work with robots mainly) and it's the little things like this that are overlooked that can trip you up. The issue could very easily be with the power strip and back feeding in to the system. The power strip may be fine (though I'm in agreement with others and would remove it permanently) and the problem lie elsewhere, but, until you've tried you won't know. Don't assume anything. Bad components plugged in to the circuit can cause problems, and, power strips are know to be problematic.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Just don't run your fingers across it and you'll never have a problem.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Just don't run your fingers across it and you'll never have a problem.

Another proud graduate of the Henny Youngman School of Medicine. :)
  • Jetmaker737
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

Love how the OP asks for "smart electrical people" yet can confirm that the power strip is not the culprit. Did you remove the power strip completely? I'm no expert by any means, but, I am an industrial electrician (work with robots mainly) and it's the little things like this that are overlooked that can trip you up. The issue could very easily be with the power strip and back feeding in to the system. The power strip may be fine (though I'm in agreement with others and would remove it permanently) and the problem lie elsewhere, but, until you've tried you won't know. Don't assume anything. Bad components plugged in to the circuit can cause problems, and, power strips are know to be problematic.

Yes, I could confirm that the power strip was not the culprit because I had completely removed it and plugged the CD player and amp directly into the wall, as stated.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Time to get Russ to make a house call.
  • txcoastal1
    Options

Jet didn't mention anything about issues with the bushes :/

• Jetmaker737
    Options
    I do have a rat and/or squirrel problem. Can he help with that?
  • delkal
    edited May 2018
    Options

If your house is that old you definitely need that receptacle tester. You should check every plug in your house. I doubt they upgraded all of them.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

artist's conception thereof.

9jyxol4pxknm.png
  • tonyb
    Options

Yes, I could confirm that the power strip was not the culprit because I had completely removed it and plugged the CD player and amp directly into the wall, as stated.

Then the easiest place to start, and cheapest, is to change out that wall receptacle. Go to home depot and get a hospital grade one at the very least.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's