isolating a turn table ?

Options
Hi guys, I have a JVC QL-A200 tt w/ a Grado black cartridge. The table is on the top shelf of a 6 shelf Stanus cherry and glass rack. The tt arm itself is set at the recommended 1/2gm weight w/ the counter balance set according to Grado. Walking around hitting common floor joists the tt jumps and you know what happens to pristine LPs when this happens. It is also perfectly level w/ both torpedo level and smart phone level app. How can I prevent the jumping of the tt with out adding gram weight which is not advised ?.... Lew
Oh, and smart asses don't say not to walk around.... lol
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    There have been lots of solutions used over the years. One approach is to find a bicycle inner tube and half inflate it so it can be bent into a coiled position. Then arrange this under the turntable so the table remains level and is suspended by the tube. This can take a little experimenting to get the right placement of the coils under the table but can work very well.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Ken,so if I understand this solution it's basically making a bed for the tt and like an air foil have a cushion of air and rubber below it. I'd like to see what this arrangement would look like and my tt is 17'' w x 14'' d with the feet a bit recessed on all 4 corners. Finding a tube this size seems problematic to me. No other pads, anything else out there that can cancel the vibrations ? Rereading you did say coils meaning all 4 very small tubes and what happens to the air valve. I just can't picture this thing.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    This was first suggested by Richard Vandersteen many years ago. If you do a Google search for "air bladder isolation, cheap" you'll find lots of hits. Some people use wheelbarrow inner tubes, some bicycle tubes filled with air or oil or the stuff that seals punctures in tubes. It's a popular subject, it seems.
    Another thought came to mind. In your case the problem could be that the combination of cartridge compliance and tonearm mass end up creating a resonant frequency that corresponds to your particular floor's footfall frequency. Do you happen to have another cartridge to try?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    This might be a little Fred Sanford - but I use a sheet of small sized bubble wrap underneath a butcher block of maple that's about 2.5" thick. Seems to work fairly well.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    Shouldn't a grado have about 2 grams not 1/2!!!
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Paul McGowan said he knew a guy that drilled holes in his floor and basically drove piles into the ground to mount his TT platform. I would do this if I had a real fancy TT. Has anyone ever suggested hanging it from the ceiling?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    You're obsessed with hanging things from the ceiling.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Paul McGowan said he knew a guy that drilled holes in his floor and basically drove piles into the ground to mount his TT platform. I would do this if I had a real fancy TT. Has anyone ever suggested hanging it from the ceiling?

• afterburnt
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Yeah, you can't hang stuff from the floor.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Yes well almost. It was a typo and should of read 1-1/2 gms according to the mounting guide. Ken, I have just a used Grado Tan and the Black is way better I would think I'd get the same results. I know in the large scheme of the world of carts both the Tan and Black are lower end but it's what I got. Very thin bubble wrap not real visible and easier to obtain than the tubes.

• afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You try sorbothane?
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    I was just going to ask if these would work and are worth the try. I used them for a while for all my other gear. I pulled them all because the blue stripe was just not working for me and I felt there was no difference w/ or with out them. I could get out my world famous universal black spray paint and shoot the 4 pods. Being hard would this transfer the vibrations ? I found this place for more pads.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8?gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlIg1lTIhCinKqvljYDjLzD3Ry50FpmKfFhRabsaZZnOpMOCvf4i-QBoCRr8QAvD_BwE

https://www.globalindustrial.com/c/fasteners/vibration-isolators?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlLpETX02Sab8nZY_cigBuHdsIwQBZoJnrCxHwvO5k6vPNRdddMI1ZBoCZpoQAvD_BwE

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Those look pretty cool. Not as cheap as bubble wrap but clearly within reason. I'm just wondering if it's the position of the rack itself on the joists. I can't move the rack so I find myself tip toeing back to the couch to listen.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I have experimented a lot with this issue.

Tried the inner tube and it was a bear to get just right, and I didn't like the stability I had with it.

I have had the best results with sorbothane type feet. I have stacked multiple sets between shelves for an even better isolation. Finally I ponied up and bought a big butcher block and stacked the sorbothane feet with that. That was superb isolation...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176068/maple-butcher-block-for-turntable#latest

With my newest turntable a gingko cloud was included so now I have multiple sets of sorbothane feet, a butcher block and the gingko cloud....barring an earthquake, I am set.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Vibrapods above and below the butcher block.

sx1h8v6wrsa2.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    My table is so massive that the only thing that will move it is the San Andreas Fault....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    What I have seen is pretty impressive but not practical for my use. The Sanus rack is already 55'' high and if I start adding butcher block and a tray plus feet it will be to high for me to use and look kinda out of place. I need oh so simple, the thin bubble wrap or sorbothane feet would work. Another proposal, how about good old cork coasters even if I have to double up on them ?

• hochpt21
    Options
    I would say a set of vibrapods then. (Model2) Which are basically low profile sorbothane feet.

Amazon
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Yeah, you can't hang stuff from the floor.

If you live in a two story house you can! Just put the mounting screws ALL the way through the floor upstairs to the roof downstairs, Ba da bing, Ba da boom, you got your self a TT hanging from the floor :tongue:
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    Finding a tube this size seems problematic to me.

((17+14) x 2) / PI = 19.7352

An 18 or 20 bike tube should be about the right size. You could remove the schrader valve fill it with water, sand, sugar or sometime like that, then put the cap back on. Sound cheap and easy to try.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Just S Can the idea of hanging anything. I rent and are not allowed to make holes in the walls, floors or ceilings. Yes I hung my t.v. because every one now does it but according to my lease it's still illegal. A member over on AK suggested that I shore up the floor joists. What, the crawl space is also off limits and is closed off. Steal Your Face dude you seem to be into bikes, Ken suggested this and I just condemned this outright but now seems like a possibility if I can scrounge a used tube

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    HigherFI has a Maglev isolation platform for a touch under 500 bucks. I used something similar when I had my Yamaha PX-3 and it worked quite well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    You try sorbothane?

This ^^^^ done
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Yeah, try the big balls they are exquisite! You may want to use a platform under your TT.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,474
    Options
    Many years ago I lived in a trailer with terrible footfalls and hung a turntable from the ceiling with very good results.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • afterburnt
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Many years ago I lived in a trailer with terrible footfalls and hung a turntable from the ceiling with very good results.

That's what I was saying. I was serious about that.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    I've seen it many many times...
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Makes sense, maybe throw in some bungee cords
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I've heard about it. TT hanging..if you're not going to have foot traffic
    from above.

Bose 901 hanging from the ceilings too was very popular.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.