NAD 906 Repair /refresh question

Options
CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,546
I have a NAD 906 that i very much enjoy. It now has some issues. Most of the power supply caps are swolen and one of the amps (it has three 2 channel amps inside with thier own power supply) blows the fuse as soon as i turn the amp on. I had hooked up a old Fosgate pre amp and something went horrible wrong. Sparks and smoke and all three amps blew fuses. I won't ever hook this Fosgate pre to anything again. As a matter of fact it will go out with the next garbage day.
Two of the amps still work after new fuses were put in. But it does not sound the same and i have to decrease gain in one channel to get them to match.

Can anyone recomend a quality place to get this fixed? Somewhere it wont take six months? The place i called in Orlando did not even knnow what a NAD was. He asked if it was a car amp and said he would be happy to look at it for $65. So no way im taking to him.

As for the power supply caps i was thinking about asking to have them replaced with Nichicon Gold Tune 50v 8200 uf. Oem has 6800uf 50v Elnas. Do you think they are worth a few extra bucks? Is going up a little in capacitance ok? I've heard it will help with bass response.

Any ideas what this could cost? I dont mind spending $200 to $300 on this amp. Its worth it to my ears. Or could this cost much more?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    In my uneducated opinion, it wouldn't be worth it to spend the money to get it repaired.

I think your ears would be better served by going with something more modern.
    CH46E wrote: »
    Any ideas what this could cost? I dont mind spending $200 to $300 on this amp. Its worth it to my ears. Or could this cost much more?

• CH46E
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    In my uneducated opinion, it wouldn't be worth it to spend the money to get it repaired.

I think your ears would be better served by going with something more modern.
    CH46E wrote: »

Hard to beat a sound you like. The Parasound 2250 v2 is a great amp but does not sound as pleasing to me as the NAD.

I may be putting the Parasound up for sale very soon.
  • CH46E
    edited May 2018
    Options
    82zq0kq6b5sn.jpg

Its also a super versatile amp. Right now im just useing one channel bridged for 90watts to run my diy twin sealed 10 inch sub. I think most people would be suprised how well it does for only 90 watts.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    If you like the NAD sound how about a C 268 or C 275BEE?
  • CH46E
    Options
    If i sell the Parasound i was planning to get a NAD2200 and have it gone through. I dont know much about the bee series. But i will take a look.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Actually i just found a NAD 2400 that may fit the bill. It also has A/B speaker selection switch. Huge plus for my set up. Was one of the reasons i got the Parasound.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?
  • CH46E
    Options
    What ever i can get for the parasound. Or if my SRS 2 sell then what ever i get from that. So 300 to 500 for an amp later on. I still want to fix the 906 either way.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I spent $300+ refurbishing and adding 5 ways and an IEC to my ancient NAD 2150 I have loved forever.
    It sounds great, and I still love it.
    Do what you ears and heart want with your money.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2