Celebrating Cinco de Mayo?

I have been in So. Cal. for way too long but I understand that this is now a National excuse to get polluted. What do yooz do to celebrate the French being defeated? %^)

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting about how we have made that day such a commercial success. I've worked in, and continue to work with a lot of colleagues from Mexico. They are amazed, and slightly amused, as it has become such a big event here.

It is not generally widely celebrated in Mexico, in my experience. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Is this the clinic, the condiment, or the county in Ireland?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    The French were defeated? Oh not the French Canadians.... You mean the other French.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Try to keep it traditional; Pizza and Budweiser.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I live in the barrio, and rarely is there much celebration for Stinko De Mayo. On the other hand, the Fourth of July is like a war zone. Non stop fireworks leading up to it, and for a few days after.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    My kids put mayo naise on their burgers, does that count as mayo?
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I’m in So Cal also and since none of my first gen Mexican-American know anything about it I don’t feel right celebrating.
    I have been to the battle site in Puebla though ... so that’s nice.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I used the term "celebrate" loosely. I don't do any Holidays but occasionally I have passed some place that was busy as hell with people falling out of windows and doors and checked my calendar. Chinco de Mayo! Those people didn't know what planet they were on let alone what day it was, and they mostly appeared to be of Nordic extraction and in college. Go figure lmao!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Never have and probably never will. I have nothing against it or whatever, I just don't care.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Never have and probably never will. I have nothing against it or whatever, I just don't care.

This is probably one of the most honest statements I've seen in a long time. No, I don't see the point as I don't give a rip either...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My opinion regarding ‘holidays’ is if I don’t get a day off from work then it isn’t a holiday. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

This is probably one of the most honest statements I've seen in a long time. No, I don't see the point as I don't give a rip either...

@smglbrth my inquiry was dead honest. I dont give a rats **** about any holidays. I have been working most of them for going on thirty years unless they happen to fall on my days off. I only note them to remind me to stay off the road. I just wondered because I have heard people all over the country party on Cinco de Mayo these days. I grew up on Long Island and the only place to get a taco back then was Jack in the Box(I have since learn that aint a taco and barely passed as food). I did hear that many years ago that salsa surpassed ketchup as the number one condiment in the U.S. The cultural shift is interesting even though I haven't participated in the larger culture since I was a kid. Happy Trails, now that is something that I can relate to lol.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I grew up in the Midwest on the farm. If something didn't have to do with the weather, family or being patriotic we didn't care for the most part. Heck, guess I'm still that way, for the most part...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • afterburnt
    That's all good, I just went off the trail.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    7nwxz4qh5ts8.jpg

Someone learned to use google and use his iPad to upload a pic!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Hermitism wrote: »
    c6njyhfl8piu.jpg

Now that is FUN E
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I didn't come up with it. I got it from a buddy. Not sure if he took the picture or found it on the internet. I thought it was great,
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Same reason ‘Murkins celebrate St. Patrick’s Day...to get blasted.
    And fun fact, while St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland, he was actually Welsh.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    And fun fact, while St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland, he was actually Welsh.

True. Like St. Patrick's Day where everyone is Irish, Cinco de Mayo is morphing into an everyone is Mexican day. Just an excuse to get liquored up, sell more beer and booze.
    I believe the "Holiday" was pushed/propagandized by a certain Mexican Beer Co.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Hermitism wrote: »
    c6njyhfl8piu.jpg
    Have to add the In-Sink-Erator de mayo in with that too.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • afterburnt

Merkins?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited May 2018

Merkins?

You have to say it like Gallagher used to... 4th genurayshun Amurrikan.
    At least I think that's where it came from?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    @polrbehr mer·kin
    ˈmərkən
    noun
    an artificial covering of hair for the pubic area.

Popular back in the day when everyone had cooties and had to depilate.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

Merkins?

Perkins?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk