Polk Monitor 7 series 2

Are these true 8 ohm speakers or 6 ohm and what are the opinions on these?

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Monitor 7s are very well regarded around here, and I am wanting a pair myself (although I can’t really get one unfortunately). I believe they are 6 ohms, but you would have to wait for someone more knowledgeable about the monitor line to reply.
  • Cylontymany
    Cylontymany Posts: 42
    I already have the monitor 7 with peerless tweets but I am asking about the series 2
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    The series 2 uses the sl2500 I think, but I don’t know what the impedance is, I would assume it averages around ~6 ohms, although like I said, I don’t know a ton about these speakers so you will have to wait for someone else more knowledgeable to tell you the impedance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2018
    Are these true 8 ohm speakers or 6 ohm?

Why does it matter to you?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    My opinion is the first model with the Peerless tweeters is MUCH nicer than the series 2. It would not be an upgrade.

Polk claimed a lot of their early speakers were 8 ohm but many tested closer to 6 (and lower at certain frequencies). I don't think it makes any difference in the real world.
  • Cylontymany
    I was wondering about the series 2 because 8 ohm impedance is easier to drive than 6 or 4 ohms. But since the series 2 would not be an upgrade-what about sideways? Has anyone done any comparisons? I will never part with mine but was curious about the series 2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2018
    I was wondering about the series 2 because 8 ohm impedance is easier to drive than 6 or 4 ohms. But since the series 2 would not be an upgrade-what about sideways? Has anyone done any comparisons? I will never part with mine but was curious about the series 2
    [emphasis added]

The nominal impedance rating of a loudspeaker doesn't tell one much about how easy or hard it will be to drive. The impedance curve (along with phase) as a function of frequency will give some insight into how benign or (ahem) malignant of a load it might be :)

Nice illustration (albeit hypothetical) from Eliot Sound Products (http://sound.whsites.net/patd.htm ) of a pretty typical impedance curve for a two-way loudspeaker with "typical" woofer and tweeter, and a second order crossover feeding each driver (with a Zobel network This also shows the nature of the load (as "seen" by the power amplifier) as a function of frequency (impedance).

aqwux8bobdfe.png

This is what the phase behavior of that simulated simple two-way speaker would look like.

430a80hv8gvc.png

This would probably be a nominally 4 or 6 ohm speaker -- based on the impedance in the 200 to 400 Hz region... but you can probably tell even from this simulation of a fairly ordinary speaker that one number doesn't tell much.

I've never knowingly heard a "series 2", so I can't help with your questions.
    Hard to imagine that they'd better the originals -- which were, and are, pretty darned good sounding little monkey coffins.

EDIT: PS It's stuff like the complexity of the speaker "load" as it is "seen" (or "felt", if one prefers) by an amplifier that goes a long way towards illustrating (I think!) why there is such a thing as amplifier/loudspeaker "synergy" :)

• Cylontymany
    I saw a discussion over at Audiokarma about the Monitor 7 series 2 that is an 8 ohm speaker which sparked my interest. How good are they compared to my original peerless ones is what I am trying to find out.
  • mlistens03
    I saw a discussion over at Audiokarma about the Monitor 7 series 2 that is an 8 ohm speaker which sparked my interest. How good are they compared to my original peerless ones is what I am trying to find out.

Peerless tweeters are better, the later tweeters (sl1000, sl2000, sl2500, sl3000, etc.) all had a spike in the treble between around 12-13 kilohertz I believe. Polk actually made the new RD0 line of tweeters as drop in replacements for the sl tweeters mentioned above. Customer service at its finest
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I definitely prefer the Peerless tweeter, FWIW.

I have minimal ears-on experience with the modern replacement/upgrade tweeters for the later series, so I don't have much to offer on that front, I'm afraid.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Peerless tweeters are better, the later tweeters (sl1000, sl2000, sl2500, sl3000, etc.) all had a spike in the treble between around 12-13 kilohertz I believe. Polk actually made the new RD0 line of tweeters as drop in replacements for the sl tweeters mentioned above. Customer service at its finest
    Partially correct. The SL1000, SL2000 had the resonance spike. The SL3000 Tri-Laminate did not, nor did it's more cost-effective sibling the SL2500. The RD0194-1 is a direct, drop-in replacement for the SL2000, however some creative modifications must be made when replacing the SL1000. The RD0198-1 is a drop-in for the SL2500 and SL3000.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mlistens03

Partially correct. The SL1000, SL2000 had the resonance spike. The SL3000 Tri-Laminate did not, nor did it's more cost-effective sibling the SL2500. The RD0194-1 is a direct, drop-in replacement for the SL2000, however some creative modifications must be made when replacing the SL1000. The RD0198-1 is a drop-in for the SL2500 and SL3000.

Wait, so what was wrong with the 2500/3000? You have me officially intrigued .
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2018

Wait, so what was wrong with the 2500/3000? You have me officially intrigued .

RDO 198 is a better smoother tweeter. The 2500/3000 can still be very harsh at some frequencies. The metallized vapor deposited domes are still polyamide underneath AFAIK.
    198 is more of a silk dome type of tweeter.