Second foray into non-Polk tower speakers

2»

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,315
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Try it with the balls on the floor.

I would agree, might be a tad cold though. :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,234
    edited May 15
    tonyb wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Try it with the balls on the floor.

I would agree, might be a tad cold though. :)

Sick muck B) B)
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 273
    Balls on floor. Lmao

I have Totem Rainmakers. While they are designed to have extra bottom end with the cabinet/driver design, they are no where near full range. The Totem towers I listened to with Alan when he had Audio Alternative open in Lilburn GA were very nice sounding, but again not full range. I have Polk LSi-m705’s and the are closer to full range, but not all the way there. I say all of this to say that musically the Totems Kill the polks. If I play pure quartet classical, my Rainmakers will do a better job of imaging and separation than the Polks. But the Polks will impress more people not familiar with many different setups. Because they have more range than the T’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love the LSim’s, and they do a great job and are my mains, but it’s like having a 600hp corvette and a 600hp Ferrari. Both go fast, one does it with super style.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
  • zuulzuul Posts: 253
    joecoulson wrote: »
    The Totem towers I listened to with Alan when he had Audio Alternative open in Lilburn GA were very nice sounding, but again not full range. I have Polk LSi-m705’s and the are closer to full range, but not all the way there.

Had a life changing experience at Audio Alternative in the 90's... started me down this gear rabbit hole... Alan and Shawn were awesome... very knowledgeable and super friendly. Great people.

Alan has since revived the Hi-Fi Buys brand and I think he has a showroom in Buckhead now... Haven't been to the ATL in a while... so I haven't seen the new shop.
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
    sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
    mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
    teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    guzi rca
    monoprice onix series digital coaxial
    transparent performance USB
    transparent perfect image HDMI
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
    pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    auralex acoustics subdude II
    DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
    rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
    Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
    polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
    polk monitor series RTA 8T
    kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 273
    I keep getting mail and flyers for the Hifi Buys but I am scared (for my wallet) to go down there and visit.
    Great guy, didn’t care if you were spending $500 or $50,000, would treat you the same.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
2»