Listening location for SDA 2B speakers

In the near future I'll be finally selling our pool table which currently sits between the 2B's. I figure my chair will be apprx 8' from the midpoint of the distance between the speakers. Currently the speakers happen to be 8' apart. They are 12" from the back wall and 3' from the side walls. Since I cannot actually sit where my chair will be right now(pool table in way) I ask those that have played with positioning is this exact triangle the best situation? I have plenty of room to go with other dimensions.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Try Six inches from back wall if haven’t for one thing.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Also meant to ask, what is the closest distance between the 2 speakers and still have a good soundstage?

6" huh? Can do but bass at 12" seems pretty good. Will give it a go.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    yes about 6' is still good, I like mine at 8' and 3.75" off the back wall. every room is different so experiment a little.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Def will experiment once the table is gone. Trying to determine what length shuffleboard table I can get along the long wall. If speakers are only 6' apart that gets me a slightly longer table, but at 8' it may be tight in the corner where that speaker will be. Gonna move them more toward the back wall for now and see what it does for bass response.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I like mine 4-6" from the back wall. Gobs of bass! Side wall reflection will cause problems with SDA effect. Having them at or less than half the distance apart as your side walls work best. Eg: 16' wide back wall = 8' wide OC(on center) or less
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2018
    I have a smaller listening room but my 2bs are about 6 feet apart, 4 inches from backwall and around 22 inches from the middle of the speaker to each side wall.

I think it sounds mighty fine, especially since I upgraded the crossovers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member