Bottlehead Crack Headphone amps going on sale

ALL212ALL212 Posts: 783
Starting this Saturday, May 5th, thru Friday, May 11th the Crack headphone amp kit for high impedance headphones will be on sale for $199 ($100 off the regular price) and the Speedball upgrade kit will be on sale for $100 ($25 off the regular price).
Aaron

Comments

• mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,819
    Did you buy another....?
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    Curious about these kits. Can anyone classify the sound and maybe list some other prior gear for comparison and how the Crack/Speedball compares?

I'm thinking about building one and sending it to Mark B. to audition.
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 783
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Did you buy another....?

Darn tempting... I've got one sitting on a shelf now unused so I'm not real sure where this one would go!
    msg wrote: »
    Curious about these kits. Can anyone classify the sound and maybe list some other prior gear for comparison and how the Crack/Speedball compares?

I'm thinking about building one and sending it to Mark B. to audition.

If you hit up the Bottlehead forum you'll get a better picture. I've built every headphone amp Bottlehead offers but other than built in headphone amps I've really not much to compare these to. You'll need high impedance cans to use on these.

Roughly speaking:
    Without speedball very "tuby" very pleasant.
    With Speedball a bit less tuby and precise, still very pleasant. You can use a wider range of tubes with the speedball.

Some guys have put the speedball in and like the non-speedball sound better. They are few and far between but it's an easy mod to pull it back out.
    Aaron
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,912
    You could start a Bobblehead store. I mean Bottlehead.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,160
    I went for it.

How far from stock is/are your Crack(s) at this point, Aaron?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    Oh.... far. If you’re planning on non-stock I can give you advice on what works (you can hear it) and what doesn’t make much difference
    Aaron
    Cool. Suspect I will build it stock for starters, do it w/o Speedball initially, etc. as they suggest.

Likely won't get to building until the school year is over.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    If you need help - even on the stock build - just whistle.

Check over pictures on the BH forum for build ideas. The biggest issue is thinking through what you'll do if you replace the 100uf caps. They big - box is not.
    Aaron
    I'll shoot you a PM anon. My order is still 'processing' so no hurries just yet.
    Jay