Windows 10 April 2018 Update

2»

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    You may be 100% correct sir. I was looking for the popcorn emoji.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Dell laptop owners: I had a hiccup with this update. 75% of the time after starting my laptop, the keyboard would be dead. I'd have to restart and then it would work. After some Googling, it's a driver issue specific to certain Dell laptops and the new Win10 Spring Update. If you have this issue, it's easy to fix. Go to Device Manager > Keyboards and uninstall driver, then restart. The driver automatically reinstalls and the problem is fixed.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I was having some issues with my computer crashing until I found the update and installed it. Now it doesn't crash anymore. However now Windows Media Player won't stream.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    This is my biggest issue with Win10, the mandatory updates. With Win7, I would always wait a couple weeks before installing updates just to see if there were any issues reported first. Back when I only had one computer, in the Win98 days, there was an update that rendered my PC unusable. Since my only computer would lock up almost immediately, finding a fix was problematic. I had to use a friends computer to research the issue. At least nowadays, most people have multiple ways to access the "interweb"... desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, foil hat with antenna.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I also am not a fan of the mandatory updates, happens with Windows 10 and my work phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) and both have caused problems for me.

I did find an issue I'm having with this update, when using my Rift I notice that about 25% of the time my colors in the rift are very dim and muted. A reboot has fixed it every time so far, not sure if it's a Microsoft or Oculus issue but it started with this update.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    10's intrusive and nosey but OK overall.
    I do still like 7, I'll admit.
    Heck, I miss XP.
    Heck, I miss "NT" :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I loved XP so much I used it up until last year. :p
  • CH46E
    Does anyone know why Vista was a flop?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    It was the unstable version of Win7
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    There might still be a few machines lurking in dark corners here with XP installed on 'em. Not really ready for prime time any more, tho'.
  • CH46E
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    It was the unstable version of Win7

Ive never had a issue with it. I have it on a machine i built in about 2005. Still runs like a champ.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There might still be a few machines lurking in dark corners here with XP installed on 'em. Not really ready for prime time any more, tho'.

My home PC has XP. Rarely use it anymore. I bring my work laptop home, and use the iPad for things I shouldn’t do on the work computer. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gareneau
    gareneau Posts: 7
    After this update was installed I have been having a devil of a time getting my Squeezebox Touch to be recognized by the network (Workgroup). I do have a lot of devices on the network (several Rokus, computers, etc.) but I wouldn't think that would prevent the SBT from being recognized. If anyone has an idea how to fix this, I would appreciate it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I have an idea, but probably best for you to fork this thread over to a new one.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    CH46E wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Vista was a flop?
    'Cause it's grody to the max?
    It also came out when XP was still running strong. Vista to XP was like Windows 8 to Windows 7. Possibly even partially 10 to 7, but 10s growing on me. Barely. It's somewhat tolerable at least. 98, 2000, XP, and 7 were all pretty solid, fun OSes to use. Millennial (ahem, Millennium)... I lasted barely 2 weeks with that pos.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    But seriously, if you like Vista, you'd probably really like 7. It's got smoother, cleaner, UI refinements. Feels better put together, smooth operation and very stable. Easy to supe up with SSD. Broad driver support.

A few drawbacks, like not having native high resolution drivers for some of the higher end DACs.

Some say memory management is better on 8 and 10. I haven't looked into it much, except when forced, because I don't like how it's changed to be all tablety and "mobile first" looking. No themes, flat color schemes. Many of the changes are counterintuitive, and/or steps backward, imho, at least aesthetically. That's a big deal, though.
    I disabled signatures.