Pre Amp

I'm not in any hurry, but I'd eventually like to finish the new 2-channel setup by adding a nicer pre-amplifier. I'm currently using an old Denon AVR with pre outs and a phono stage as the pre.

The remainder of the setup is a B&K 125.2 and Polk LSi9s or Monitor 5JR+ (haven't decided which will stay yet). It will be used primarily as a vinyl rig with a Rega RP1 TT.

I'm hoping to find a nice tubed or hybrid pre-amp. I prefer a more neutral to warm sound and really like the B&K sound. Hoping someone might have a nice tube pre that would compliment it well and that they are willing to part with.

Budget is under a grand, but ideally closer to 500 or 600.

Thanks in advance.

-Al

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,091
    Schiit Saga also worth a look if you want to spend less. The relay stepped volume attenuation is really nice. It has a neutral sound though, no tube influence that I've been able to detect with a NOS Sylvania installed in the single 6sn7 "buffer"
    Got Dayens?
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 773
    Except the saga isn’t really a tube preamp. It has a tube, that doesn’t make it a tubed preamp.
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

Yeah, that's why I disclosed that there isn't any tube influence.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Except the saga isn’t really a tube preamp. It has a tube, that doesn’t make it a tubed preamp.

Got Dayens?
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,210
    Tony referenced this one in another thread, but I don't know much about the brand. additionally, the fact that it is not local makes things a bit more difficult...
    tonyb wrote: »

Since it will be used with a TT, something with a decent Phono stage would be nice, but I understand that may be a lot to ask for within my budget.

Keep the ideas coming.

Or... if someone's looking to change things up and have something you're willing to pass along, let me know!
    Still looking! Surely someone's got something they've been meaning to part with... :)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-Audio-SYMPHONIES-PLUS-R-Remote-Tube-Preamplifier/190905561201

I was looking at this one for a while.

Dayens Ampino Preamp also in this price range.
    Got Dayens?
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 2,953
    Clipdat wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-Audio-SYMPHONIES-PLUS-R-Remote-Tube-Preamplifier/190905561201

this is a good company.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    You told me about that YS-Audio pre and I haven't stopped wanting it since you have. haha. Just don't have a spare $800 sitting around.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    this is a good company.

Got Dayens?
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

this is a good company.

The YS-Audio Symphonies has certainly piqued my interest! Looks like a well built and based on the reviews, a great sounding pre.

I'll keep this one in mind as I continue to take suggestions and see what's out there.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,917
    The YS seems like a bargain, good company too. I think any time you can snag a high caliber tubed pre under a grand, it's a bargain. There's one on Ebay with a remote for 720.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac