New setup

Options
mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
edited April 2018 in Speakers
A while back, when I first got my LSis and I asked about placement, I was suggested to put them on the window wall, but I was told no at the time. So I left them where they were, with them about 6 feet apart and right up against the wall. They sounded pretty good, but I thought that my Mission 770s sounded much better where they were at.
Fast forward to now, and I’ve gotten permission to put them on the wall with the windows, which is the biggest wall in my room. And they have really REALLY come alive! I’ve got them a foot off the wall, and about 8 feet apart, and the sound incredible! Beforehand the soundstage was very vague, but now I can hear things I couldn’t before, such as random things invisibly popping up everywhere. The depth and and height of the sound have improved as well, listening to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, and it sounds like “will not let you go” is coming from the top left and “let me go” is coming from the bottom right. It really is awesome.
Now here is my question: they are slightly corner loaded, so with full range speakers they are incredibly bass heavy (tested with my Infinities) but since these have separate subs, I can just turn down the bass. But will this have a negative affect on the sound throughout the rest of the frequency range? I will provide pictures later, once it is a little more picked up.
Edit for spelling errors.

Comments

• mlistens03
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here are some pictures:
    tm3j93qlg2pb.jpeg
    nwubqqbuv5x6.jpeg
    7ezi6n7swtmg.jpeg
    f37r1u2t7n9r.jpeg
    This last one is from the listening position.
    Edit: I was wrong, the FIRST one is from the listening position. Lol
    Do you guys think they are far enough off the wall?
    5cm1hwojce7e.jpeg
    Dropping in some Led Zeppelin, gonna rock out for the next little while.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Turning the bass module down will only effect the freqs covered by the module, unless you run a calibration program after making the adjustment.
  • mlistens03
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have my receiver cover set to 90 hz (the crossover point of the top section of the LSis I believe) and the sub running direct. I have the sub cranked up in the menus, and turned down at the sub, so it will actually turn on, as whenever I turn up my system to a volume where it would turn on at a normal volume, I get texts from my mom to turn it down. Then, of course, my tablet is silenced because it’s annoying to get notifications from YouTube, email, etc. all the time and I get grounded. Lol

I haven’t noticed any increase in the volume because of its position above 80 hz, but then again I haven’t done too much listening at higher volumes for reasons already mentioned above.
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    For 2 channel, I set everything flat / direct, then adjust the bass via subwoofer controls.
    For HT, I let Audyssey (I know there are better solutions) set the tone.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • mlistens03
    Options
    This is the way I had air set before, but my HDMI to lightning adapter I used for music broke, so now I’m using a 3.5 millimeter to RCA adapter, and that has a much lower volume then the HDMI inputs.with HDMI, the highest I would ever turn it up would be -20 on the receiver, but with the original settings that was like background music with the 3.5 millimeter headphone jack. So I turned everything almost all the way up in the receiver, then turned up the gains on the Crown. I turned down the sub volume, because it was too loud when it was all the way up. Not a perfect solution, but it will work until I get something that works better. (A USB DAC.)
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Just upgraded my cables... well, kinda upgraded my cables. I used 2 Monoprice cables for red and 2 cables for black. I can hear the difference though, and once I get all my other equipment replaced with hifi equipment, I will get real hifi cables.