Need "in between" headphones

kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,184
I need something on between in ear buds and giant over the hear headphones. Something that is compact or folds up but also cuts down on much of the ambient backgroup noise and people yammering and babies screaming on an airplane....thanks

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 4,046
    edited April 29
    How about plain, tapered earplugs? (I like the 3M ones you can get at Home Depot; good for several uses. There's a trick to earplugs if you haven't had good results, and you can adjust depth for tailoring damping)

I've been curious about the ATH-M50X for a while now. They fold up and will make you a happy school girl.
    On a plane, I'd possibly still wear the earplugs, too.

8tx82305i6c3.jpg
    oz65idll1g54.png
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,184
    Those look cool but still a bit big and burly. My backpack space is limited due I have to carry on my laptop....Ill check out reviews though
    True, yeah.

Is this just for a one-off type use, or something you might use regularly?
    For size, seems like noise canceling IEMs might be a good option, but maybe not worth the expense for something decent unless they'll see regular use?
    mainly travel...not into them for home use
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,914
    edited April 29
    Sennhieser Momentum (or as they are now known as the HD series) on ears...not too massive, even the over ears aren't bad for size and they fold up. I have a pair around here....lemme snap a pic of the over ears folded up next to an iPhone 6S Plus...

The new HD1 with Momentum Over ear, real compact folding up. I know your not wanting overs but they get small folded...real small. As with my photo of my Momentum 2 over ears beside a cell phone.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd1-over-ear-headphones-with-mic

4c6xldnbrxlt.jpeg
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,910
    Momemtums are light, comfortable and as you can see fold up. Unless someone looks at your ears, most won't know you are wearing them. They are also durable, they sit in my backpack with everything else and survive just fine.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,648
    FWIW (and I am - seriously - not a headphone maven, I'm afraid) -- I don't know that any of them fold but the Grado headphones are svelte and also sound pretty good.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,389
    msg wrote: »
    How about plain, tapered earplugs? (I like the 3M ones you can get at Home Depot; good for several uses. There's a trick to earplugs if you haven't had good results, and you can adjust depth for tailoring damping)

I've been curious about the ATH-M50X for a while now. They fold up and will make you a happy school girl.
    On a plane, I'd possibly still wear the earplugs, too.

8tx82305i6c3.jpg
    oz65idll1g54.png

I got shoe!
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,021
    These aren’t the best headphones ever, but you could get JBL Synchros e30 headphones, fold up nice and small, but no noise canceling. p179wovlmra5.jpg
    For size scale that is a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter.
    The get pretty big as well, I have a fairly large head and they fit me fine.
    zgjbrq299asl.jpg
    I believe there is also a wireless version, but last I checked all the Ross and Marshall’s stores nearby are full of the wired ones for around $30, I believe they retailed for something like $75.
    Nothing too amazing, but I like them and thought you might too. Good clarity, very balanced sound, and good soundstage too. My only real issue with them is that they use a smaller headphone jack to plug into the headphones than your phone, so if you lose the cord, you are stuck.
    nvnzaxza3mwe.jpg
    The bigger one is a 3.5mm, and I don’t remember what size the smaller one is.
    So basically, if you find a pair at Ross or Marshall’s, you’ve got a crazy deal because they sell them for soo cheap.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    I got shoe!
    DAMmit. That's not what I meant!
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Sennhieser Momentum (or as they are now known as the HD series) on ears...not too massive, even the over ears aren't bad for size and they fold up. I have a pair around here....lemme snap a pic of the over ears folded up next to an iPhone 6S Plus...

The new HD1 with Momentum Over ear, real compact folding up. I know your not wanting overs but they get small folded...real small. As with my photo of my Momentum 2 over ears beside a cell phone.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd1-over-ear-headphones-with-mic

4c6xldnbrxlt.jpeg
    These may be the ticket....small enough but over the ear is fine w noise cancelling is perfect to keep my sanity while travelling. Now to find a sale! Thanks for all the ideas....
    The Momentum 2/HD1 (same thing anyways) aren't active noise cancelling however...they are quite good at isolating noise...once a music signal is present. The sound quality also is quite good.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Will they greatly reduce the droning sound of jet engines or screaming babies during flight? If so, Im sold!
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Will they greatly reduce the droning sound of jet engines or screaming babies during flight? If so, Im sold!

Oh yeah! And EASY to drive....hell my iPhone 4S drives them to insane volume. Honestly, they are closed back full over ear and cut out a lot of outside chaff that I kinda get lost easily.
    edited April 29
    They look smaller than the Polk Ultrafocus 8000 I bought awhile ago and really liked but too bulky to travel with. Plus, my 12 year old borrowed those for gaming and I never got them back!
    While they don't have NC, they block out sound very well. I take noisy trains and trolleys to work and have to put up with stupid kids who are always making a lot of noise to get attention. Once I put on the music the din goes away.

They are much smaller than the 8000s and have a much better fit. Once put on and adjusted, they stay put!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
    edited April 29
    cfrizz wrote: »
    They are much smaller than the 8000s and have a much better fit. Once put on and adjusted, they stay put!

And comfy for hours on end, even with glasses.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

And comfy for hours on end, even with glasses.

Absolutely, another reason why I love them!
    Whats the scoop on the Seinnhauser website....why do they ask for device type? I found a bunch of new "other" pairs on Ebay but they have mave made contact with human hair prior...which is funky.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Whats the scoop on the Seinnhauser website....why do they ask for device type? I found a bunch of new "other" pairs on Ebay but they have mave made contact with human hair prior...which is funky.

They are asking what you intend on plugging them into. Say iPhone or an Android phone, something to do with the inline mic/remote thingy. Mine are the iPhone specific as I use the iPhone but my aftermarket 9 foot long cable....doesn't have anything inline, just wire.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,648
    ooh, ooh -- here you go.

kmo8g47qbekg.png
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ooh, ooh -- here you go.

kmo8g47qbekg.png
    That is awesome....seriously.