Amazon 4k streaming

Options
Anyone else having issues with 2nd generation fire Tv boxes not streaming 4k content?

Now that I have upgraded my AVR and TV in the family room to UHD viewing, I thought the Fire TV would be the least of my issues. I have the Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 AVR, Vizio P55e1 TV all are HCDP 2.2 complaint, but when I try to stream a 4k program from the Fire Tv I get this "updating to UHD" then the screen goes blank and the AVR starts flashing as if it is looking for a video source. I spent about 1hr online with Amazon Customer service going through every reboot, resetting, updating yahoo boo boo mess they could come up with. They finally sent out another box today, hooked it up and bam! same issue. Now this is the real kick in the head, My TV has Chromecast with VUDU and Amazon Prime app built in, I can stream 4k content from it without a hitch. Both are connected to my router via cat 5 cable, so I know its not a bandwidth issue. I even connected the Fire Tv straight into the TV and the issue is the same.

one more odd part, When I stream Via VUDU or Amazon prime from the chromecast I use more bandwidth as it sends full 7.1/5.1/DTS HD, True HD, or Atmos compared to Fire Tv only sending DD Plus.

Any thoughts!!!!
Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    It's likely an HDMI issue. You have multiple handshakes - Fire to AVR and AVR to TV. Streaming from the built-in app doesn't pass any video through HDMI, so no surprise there are no problems there. My setup occasionally had issues at 4k 60hz, so I dropped it back to 30hz and it's fine. I chalk it up to different brands with different firmware implementations. The more data you try to squeeze through, the more finicky the connections can become.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was thinking of getting better HDMI cables that handle 18GBps like I have for my Blu Ray player. Also I have bypassed the AVR and connected the Fire Tv directly to the TV, the results were the same.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Yeah, taking the AVR out of the chain and still having the issue at least eliminates that device. Have you checked for firmware updates on all devices? If so, better cables would be the next step.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    My guess is the HDMI cables are the culprits. You don't need an expensive one, just one that is certified to pass high bandwidth signals.

These work for me:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-3-Pack/dp/B01H7M6YKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525006535&sr=8-3&keywords=amazon+basics+hdmi
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    The new Cables came in today (Mediabridge 18Gbps) swapped them with the other Highspeed cables and all is good, Whew!!!!
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Excellent! I may give them a shot too. :)