Baker mayfield?!?

Wow...I was not expecting that. He was a great college qb, but certainly seems like another Tebow/RG3/manziel to me...
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ya never know
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I feel bad for that kid...Cleveland, where quarterbacks go to die
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    He is mighty talented and tough. He might just be able to win there. He certainly thinks he can lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    He is mighty talented and tough. He might just be able to win there. He certainly thinks he can lol...

The only person ever able to get hot in Cleveland was Betty White.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Johnny 2.0
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

The only person ever able to get hot in Cleveland was Betty White.

CART driver Alex Zanardi had a hell of a race in Cleveland in 1997.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/14/sports/sp-12590
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Woo hoo! He went first. Oh **** to Cleveland. I was quite surprised as well. He shouldn’t be compared to Tebow though. That guy was never a real QB. Let’s see how all the drafted QB’s handle and adapt to the NFL.
  • rooftop59
    edited April 2018
    halen wrote: »
    Woo hoo! He went first. Oh **** to Cleveland. I was quite surprised as well. He shouldn’t be compared to Tebow though. That guy was never a real QB. Let’s see how all the drafted QB’s handle and adapt to the NFL.

Really? Tebow was arguably one of the best college QBs ever! There is a clear distinction between what it takes to win at the college level vs the pro level...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • halen
    We all have our metrics for a QB. One of the best college QB ever? All because an athlete is in a QB position, with zero QB skills, that won some championships... that doesn’t make him one of the best ever.
  • halen
    The guy could motivate people around him. The talent around him. And the coach, in this case Urban Meyer has a proven track record and system that works. I would hardly bypass all the talent and the coaches and say a tight end playing QB is one of the best ever at QB.

Sure he has some skills. But throwing a football was not one of them. Cheerleader. Sure.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Johnny 2.0
    1iqght91uhba.jpeg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    I'm a Longhorn fan, so I hate him, more than most. However, I will admit, he is a really good quarterback, in the mold of a Drew Brees type with locker room leadership skills. If he can learn the pro game then he'll be a starter for them for years. That said, the Browns need to help him, but we all know Cleveland is where QBs go to die, so i'm not shedding any tears for him :)
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    coolsax wrote: »
    I'm a Longhorn fan, so I hate him, more than most. However, I will admit, he is a really good quarterback, in the mold of a Drew Brees type with locker room leadership skills. If he can learn the pro game then he'll be a starter for them for years. That said, the Browns need to help him, but we all know Cleveland is where QBs go to die, so i'm not shedding any tears for him :)

I don't think he is shedding any tears either...that guy just got PAID....
  • rooftop59
    The guy could motivate people around him. The talent around him. And the coach, in this case Urban Meyer has a proven track record and system that works. I would hardly bypass all the talent and the coaches and say a tight end playing QB is one of the best ever at QB.

Sure he has some skills. But throwing a football was not one of them. Cheerleader. Sure.
    We all have our metrics for a QB. One of the best college QB ever? All because an athlete is in a QB position, with zero QB skills, that won some championships... that doesn’t make him one of the best ever.

I really don’t care, but I do think we are having a terminological debate here. Total yards, touchdowns, wins, championships, awards. He’s at or near the top in all those categories. In sports isn’t the guy the best that performs the best and wins the most?!? Or perhaps I’m confused
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424

Really? Tebow was arguably one of the best college QBs ever! There is a clear distinction between what it takes to win at the college level vs the pro level...

Nah, those 9,000 passing yards were a figment of your imagination. All he did was run 2-yard touchdowns.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Tom Brady was a Round 6/overall 199 pick.
    Tom Brady was a good college QB but not an amazing college QB.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Peyton Manning who was a first round/first overall pick.

While great college QBs don't always translate into great pro QBs, there is always the potential for things to either fly or fall.

I'll wait and see.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Whenever I feel down about my Bears....I think about the Browns.
  • rooftop59
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Tom Brady was a Round 6/overall 199 pick.
    Tom Brady was a good college QB but not an amazing college QB.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Peyton Manning who was a first round/first overall pick.

While great college QBs don't always translate into great pro QBs, there is always the potential for things to either fly or fall.

I'll wait and see.

And then we have RGIII, great college career, number two pick overall, one of the best rookie seasons of all time. Since then he's floundered, and though I am still holding out hope he might at least have a decent career, its not looking likely.

I could see Mayfield going in almost any of these directions. Its for that reason that I just can't imagine why you would pick him first.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    This is why they drafted Baker, plus he is a winner.
    Also notice J.T. Barrett quietly ranks 4th all time. He (J.T.) is a true leader.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/tot-td-player-career.html

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    They probably could have taken Barkley #1 and gotten Mayfield at #5. Even if they couldn't get Mayfield at #5, they could have gotten another "franchise QB." Who knows, who they could have taken at #5 may end up being better than Mayfield....or maybe not.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    They got Chubb from Georgia. Smart play, imo, waiting on a RB and still getting a top prospect.