OK, DC/B-more early 1970s-era kids: looking for some help remembering a TV program :)

Options
So -- I get a little obsessive sometimes :/

Right now, I am (w)racking my brain* trying to remember the name of an early 1970s local (DC) "children's" television program.

This program originated (I am pretty sure) from WTOP (TV channel 9) in Washington DC. It was aimed at older children (young adolescents) and aired at about noontime on Saturday (i.e., right after the classic network kids TV cartoon programs of the era).

It was hosted by two young males, one white, one black. The white guy might have been named Danny(?) -- or maybe Doug (??). The black guy might have occasionally also done some very low-key shtick with a ventriloquist's dummy(???).

It was extremely low-key, sort of a gentle program (as I remember it), sort of a latter-day hippie vibe. It was also at least a little bit campy: every week, the show ran an episode of the ancient (even then!) Flash Gordon movie serial. Ming the Merciless, baby! :)

buhi1sc6q2ru.png

One other, very salient memory: Popular music of the day, I think, featured large in the program. I remember vividly one segment on one program that featured the white guy painstakingly applying makeup, transforming himself from a young man to an old man as
Neil Young's Old Man played on the soundtrack.

That would put the timeframe as sometime in 1972.

I don't think the program was on for very long.

Any of all y'all who are on the order of my age (i.e., freaking old) and who grew up in DC or Baltimore remember the program?

The name of the show would be awesome to know (since I cannot remember and Google and Youtube, so far, have let me down)!

Thanks for your consideration!!!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Haven't got a clue :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Is it any of these?

Washington

WWRC/WRC-TV, later WDCA: Bozo the Clown (with Willard Scott, Dick Dyszel)
    WDCA: Captain 20 (with John Kallimonis, Tony Alexis, Dick Dyszel)
    WTTG: Captain Tugg
    WTTG: Cindy Lou's Ranch (hosted by Cindy Dahl)
    WJLA/WMAL: Claire and Co Co (hosted by Claire Kress)
    WTTG: Countdown Carnival (with Bill Gormly)
    WWRC/WRC-TV: Cousin Cupcake (with Bob Porter)
    WTTG: Grandpa's Place (with Lee Reynolds)
    WTTG: Hoppity Skippity (with Jules Huber and Gordon Williamson)
    WDCA: Kids' Break (with Howard Huge)
    WJLA/WMAL: Pete and His Pals (hosted by Pete Jamerson)
    WTTG: Pick Temple (with Bob Dalton)
    WUSA (TV)/WTOP-TV: Ranger Hal (played by Hal Shaw)
    Romper Room ("Miss Lynn", "Miss Jan", "Miss Barbara", "Miss Sally", "Miss Connie", "Miss Anne")
    WWRC/WRC-TV: Sam and Friends (with Jim Henson)
    WTTG: Time for Science (with Darrell Drummond)
    WDCA: WOW (with Dick Dyszel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_local_children's_television_series_(United_States)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Is this it? This YouTube clip doesn't say the name of the show, but I am getting close. :)

hs0icecm7hkx.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    It's at 06:24 of this clip. There are a few stills shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78CytFS_XS4
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was in the Navy in 1970.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Is it any of these?

Washington

WWRC/WRC-TV, later WDCA: Bozo the Clown (with Willard Scott, Dick Dyszel)
    WDCA: Captain 20 (with John Kallimonis, Tony Alexis, Dick Dyszel)
    WTTG: Captain Tugg
    WTTG: Cindy Lou's Ranch (hosted by Cindy Dahl)
    WJLA/WMAL: Claire and Co Co (hosted by Claire Kress)
    WTTG: Countdown Carnival (with Bill Gormly)
    WWRC/WRC-TV: Cousin Cupcake (with Bob Porter)
    WTTG: Grandpa's Place (with Lee Reynolds)
    WTTG: Hoppity Skippity (with Jules Huber and Gordon Williamson)
    WDCA: Kids' Break (with Howard Huge)
    WJLA/WMAL: Pete and His Pals (hosted by Pete Jamerson)
    WTTG: Pick Temple (with Bob Dalton)
    WUSA (TV)/WTOP-TV: Ranger Hal (played by Hal Shaw)
    Romper Room ("Miss Lynn", "Miss Jan", "Miss Barbara", "Miss Sally", "Miss Connie", "Miss Anne")
    WWRC/WRC-TV: Sam and Friends (with Jim Henson)
    WTTG: Time for Science (with Darrell Drummond)
    WDCA: WOW (with Dick Dyszel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_local_children's_television_series_(United_States)

Naaah, I perused that list.
    Some of those made me quite nostalgic, though (e.g., Ranger Hal, Captain Tugg and Captain Chesapeake) :)
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Is this it? This YouTube clip doesn't say the name of the show, but I am getting close. :)

hs0icecm7hkx.jpg
    Thank you, thank you!
    Boy howdy, it looks right!
    Cover me -- I'm going in...

:)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mybnpegl2tcv.png

Black host? check.
    Ventriloquist dummy? check.

x22om34xomvf.png

White guy hippie-esque host? check.

That's IT!

I can't believe they don't say the name of the $#*& show on that promo film?!?!!!!! :/

https://youtu.be/78CytFS_XS4
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    x22om34xomvf.png

Hippie-esque? I'm still rocking that hairdo!

• Viking64
    Options

Black host? check.
    Ventriloquist dummy? check.

That's IT!

I can't believe they don't say the name of the $#*& show on that promo film?!?!!!!! :/
    I KNOW!!!

I tried doing a reverse image search from a few of the stills used in that video and got no results.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The black guy might have been on the Mod Squad, if that helps....

EDIT*** scratch that idea, but I know I have seen him in other stuff. If we figure out who he is, IMDB will tell us the rest.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    x22om34xomvf.png

Hippie-esque? I'm still rocking that hairdo!

Good for you -- it's 100% impossible for me at this point :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The black guy might have been on the Mod Squad, if that helps....

EDIT*** scratch that idea, but I know I have seen him in other stuff. If we figure out who he is, IMDB will tell us the rest.

Well, in that image, he looks like Greg Morris -- but it ain't Greg Morris. :#

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'll bet @F1nut knows/remembers the show...

:|

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't know man... Jesse was still washing clothes on rocks at that time.

It is possible that the show was piped in from another location, thus making it harder to find.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't know man... Jesse was still washing clothes on rocks at that time.

... or maybe hosting "innovative children's television programming" in DC at the time?

;)
  • Viking64
    Options
    Well, I've refined my Google searches to the point that I am getting results from this very thread. :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options

I was too busy chasing skirt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Well, I've refined my Google searches to the point that I am getting results from this very thread. :p

is that what they call the "echo chamber"?
    F1nut wrote: »

good for you! Especially on Saturday mornings -- cheerleaders? :)
    I was the nerd (imagine that). The fat nerd, come to think of it.

• Viking64
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

6zwryk3w50su.gif
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Wasn't he on "Mission Impossible". ? I think Greg Morris too.
    7b4t98epn29d.png
    sb5uoacrqkuh.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Kaptain_Kidshow
    Options
    The WTOP-TV9 show that mhardy6647 is remembering was "Sneakers" from 1976. The black co-host was Ernie Fields and his dummy's name was Cockroach. I'm looking up the name of the Caucasian co-host. The show featured skits by the Patchwork Puppets, most notably an open-ended series called, “Dynamite Scott: Air Ace.” Usually, each of these particular segments would end with a cliffhanger (which was never resolved). “Sneakers” also included a “Word for Today,” which featured a vocabulary word and its definitions, among other things.

The “Sneakers” theme music was an edited version of “Baroque & Blue,” from Claude Bolling’s Suite #1 for Flute & Jazz Piano (basically, among other parts, the 4/4 swing sections of the original were omitted from the “Sneakers” theme).