What FM antenna/s has/have worked for you?

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    I get every station in the galaxy

flwcyuhdn7q0.png

Uhhhhh...you just might be getting a strongly worded letter from the homeowners association for that one...LOL!..

I am the HOA...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I had a huge FM antenna on a rotor years ago and it spoiled me to anything else, even though it was trouble plagued the entire time it was up. I could get so many stations pointing it in any direction it got me into FM DX'ing. Until one day the band was very dead. I took a look outside and it was gone. A branch fell off one of the giant walnut trees in the back yard and it was a direct hit on the antenna. One of the arms of the branch punched a hole in the roof, so I had to go to the hardware store and ask the old guy there how to fix it. I moved soon after and had a couple more yagis up on a rotor for FM, but they weren't anywhere near the size of that first monster. Now I'm in an apartment, so it's rabbit ears and/or wire dipoles for me.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    There are plenty of directional and omni DIY FM antenna "opportunities" out there on the interwebs, too -- just look past the cat videos and whatnot; they're there. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, and if I may put on my Mr. Safety Person (hard) hat* for a moment -- if any of all y'all decide to erect** a big ol' outdoor FM antenna, please, please, please ensure that things are properly grounded, with lightning arrestors and surge suppressors as appropriate to protect your equipment & your domicile.

Please.

:#

billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Homemade 1/2 wave dipole works as good as anything short of a rooftop yagi. I've read great things about J-pole antennas also. I've been going to build one to mount outside on a pole, but I just haven't bothered. I find my FM listening outside the car is very minimal these days. Most stations are so compressed/modulated/etc that the sound is worse than MP3 quality.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    billbillw wrote: »
    Homemade 1/2 wave dipole works as good as anything short of a rooftop yagi. I've read great things about J-pole antennas also. I've been going to build one to mount outside on a pole, but I just haven't bothered. I find my FM listening outside the car is very minimal these days. Most stations are so compressed/modulated/etc that the sound is worse than MP3 quality.

Yeah, I am drawn to tryin' a J-pole myself. I read good things about them. Maybe someday.

• mhardy6647
    In fairness, and FWIW, the C.Crane "FM Reflect" dipole does get good press from folks who've tried 'em. They are expensive (i.e., for what they are, they're expensive) but in terms of absolute cost, they're probably cheap enough to be worth a try. Probably(?!?).

https://www.ccrane.com/item/ant_fm_fmrwhite/search/fm_reflect

(actually I think they may have lowered the price?!)
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Best buy for the buck is still Rabbit Ears, usually less than $10.
  • mhardy6647
    bikezappa wrote: »
    Best buy for the buck is still Rabbit Ears, usually less than $10.

Good point (which I - now - recall you've made before!). A yardsale set of rabbit ears gives you, at minimum, a tuneable center-fed dipole. Many have some "fine tuning" capability and/or even built-in broadband signal amplifiers.

The only objection might be an aesthetic one -- but that certainly wouldn't much bias my thinking ;)

I think I've given all of the ones that used to be here away, though (come to think of it).
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited April 2018
    I would pick up rabbit ears and all the RCA with that big dial in the front or whatever brand and give them away with receivers that I sold off years ago. I still use them on some of my systems now. :D

They used to be 1.50 at Goodwill. Then GW got greedy and started charging 4.99 for them. I guess someone bought them or they threw them away because they would eventually disappear. :)

I've bought a lot of those powered Terk spike antennas too. I didn't have much luck with that style though. I still have some on the shelf too. Maybe I should retry them.
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Tony M wrote: »
    I've bought a lot of those powered Terk spike antennas too. I didn't have much luck with that style though. I still have some on the shelf too. Maybe I should retry them.
    You couldn't give me one of those. Twice one of that style Terk tried to burn down my house....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I've tried several but these work by far the best indoors

g8boeilnlo7x.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    You couldn't give me one of those. Twice one of that style Terk tried to burn down my house....

That makes sense to me. I think some of these have electrical disconnects since nothing seems to improve when I plug them in. Kind of poor performances from what I can remember.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    s-l300.jpg

Trying out one like this on my Onkyo AVR that came with it. Seems to be doing a bang up job at tuning in the local NPR/Jazz station. Sound is coming in crystal clear and sounds quite nice.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    s-l300.jpg

Trying out one like this on my Onkyo AVR that came with it. Seems to be doing a bang up job at tuning in the local NPR/Jazz station. Sound is coming in crystal clear and sounds quite nice.

Your supposed to unfold it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Yep, I unraveled it.
    verb wrote: »

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

*yore

Hey, at least you didn't type "suppose" like a lot of idio......ummmmm. Yeah.
  • verb
    Yep, I unraveled it.

Just pokin ya! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Seems to be doing a bang up job at tuning in the local NPR/Jazz station. Sound is coming in crystal clear and sounds quite nice.

All NPR stations sound AWFUL regardless of what antenna you use. :p
  • Viking64
    Yep, I unraveled it.

Just pokin ya! :smile:

hot.
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »

*yore

Hey, at least you didn't type "suppose" like a lot of idio......ummmmm. Yeah.

I blame the iPhone! :smile:
  • Viking64
    I blame the iPhone! :smile:
    I blame the bossa nova. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XpWOBEZLEs
  • Clipdat
    I never really listen to the radio so I don't have a lot to go by, but it sounds pretty good. Not CD quality, but very listenable.
    All NPR stations sound AWFUL regardless of what antenna you use. :p

• Viking64
    I never really listen to the radio so I don't have a lot to go by, but it sounds pretty good. Not CD quality, but very listenable.

My comment was more *cough* tuned towards their programming and penchant for dead air during spoken interludes. And snooze-factor in general. :p
  • Clipdat
    Oh yeah, definitely not into talk radio. I don't know if they do half NPR/half Jazz programming on this station or what the story is.

All I know is right now they're playing some good tunes! Kinda makes me want to get a cheap tuner for my bedroom rig.
    My comment was more *cough* tuned towards their programming and penchant for dead air during spoken interludes. And snooze-factor in general. :p

• mhardy6647
    aww -- c'mon! You live in Vermont. VPR is great!
    They play Grateful Dead interstitial music in the mornings, man! :)

• Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    aww -- c'mon! You live in Vermont. VPR is great!
    They play Grateful Dead interstitial music in the mornings, man! :)

HAHAHA Remember, Vermont is a state where hairdressers and real estate agents wear flannel shirts when meeting with clients. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Living as we do in East Vermont (aka the Hanover, NH region), I am way familiar with the ethos (ethoses?) of both states :)