Anyone used AudiogoN to sell gear?

There doesn't seem to be any interest in the Harbeth here so I'm considering other avenues for moving these on. I've bought things off Audiogon in the past but have never sold, any issues or "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Be aware of low ballers, overseas buyers, and be aware that if you use the audiogon checkout system, you're committed to a 7 day return.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I've sold several times on audiogon without a problem. Same rules apply as always: I only sell to people with an excellent record of feedback, and as Joey says, no oversees (though I did ship to Canada once without issue). PayPal only will offer you some protection, though it might limit buyers.

I wasn't aware of the 7 day return caveat...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    I use audiocircle and audio nervosa both free or you can try audio asylum also free.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Have used Audiogon in the past and have had good luck lately on US audio mart, fingers crossed going on 20 years of selling without a bad incident....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I've used Audiogon in the past, but not since they changed their pricing structure a number of years ago. Between here, usaudiomart, AK, & cList I haven't had any trouble getting rid of gear. Though your Harbeths are higher end than most of what I've sold.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Bought and sold on Audiogon, no issues with either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    May have sold once on Audiogon several years ago, no issues. Have also used US Audiomart as well as Audio Circles with no issues.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I have not sold on Audiogon, but have used USAudiomart which I am starting to like more and more.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    My Dyn C4s (Hawaii) and my 780D dac (Canada) were both sold on USaudio mart , flawless transactions
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    USAudioMart is not a problem, form of payment accepted however completely sucks. NEVER accept PAYPAL for any reason. They wont PAY you if the buyer decided to screw you and they are not your PAL. Accept cashiers check or money order only.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Yes I agree never accept PayPal as a seller, you will get your butt handed to you if the buyer is a cheat
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll give US Audio Mart a go first since that option appears to be free.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll give US Audio Mart a go first since that option appears to be free.

Free is good.
  • nooshinjohn
    Do not use their pay now option... that’s how I got screwed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Some buyers will only do paypal, that's the problem :/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Those that only use Paypal do so because they know they can scam the system and get away with it. Half the time they can run the scam without even having to front a dime themselves. Cash, Postal money order or cashiers check means they have to pay for something to get something.

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    . . . or cashiers check means they have to pay for something to get something.
    It is possible to counterfeit a cashier's check. I have one sitting in my office for $250,000.00 someone tried to pass on a real estate deal. Just sayin'--be careful.

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Joey_V
    There are always exceptions to the rule. But I don’t deal with PayPal as a seller
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Those that only use Paypal do so because they know they can scam the system and get away with it. Half the time they can run the scam without even having to front a dime themselves. Cash, Postal money order or cashiers check means they have to pay for something to get something.
    Well, that's not a fair way to look at things. I prefer to use PayPal for convenience, and I've never once considered scamming anyone. I hear what you're saying, though, if all the protections favor the payer.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    How does Audiogon / Automart compare vs selling on Ebay?

I know Ebay can be a dumping ground for crap but as a seller where can you get the best final price?
  • Joey_V
    delkal wrote: »
    How does Audiogon / Automart compare vs selling on Ebay?

I know Ebay can be a dumping ground for crap but as a seller where can you get the best final price?

I prefer audiogon. People are usually more trustworthy I feel.

I sell about once a month on audiogon. Rarely have I had an issue
  • nooshinjohn
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Well, that's not a fair way to look at things. I prefer to use PayPal for convenience, and I've never once considered scamming anyone. I hear what you're saying, though, if all the protections favor the payer.

True on that, but if you have been flamed once, you won't do it ever again.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I send people money for gear that I'll never see.
  • nooshinjohn
    That’s because you don’t even pay enough to cover a box, much less shipping.

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    That thread re-enforces why I like to sell here if at all possible. As established members, we don't jerk each other around with the typical BS you find on eBay, etc. In fact, I think it's the extreme buyer-centric policies of eBay that have lead to buyers everywhere thinking they can take advantage of sellers with no negative consequences. It's also justification for our 100 post minimum.