Non-Audio: Mechanical Keyboards... talk to me

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited April 2018 in The Clubhouse
Given I'm a full time office guy, and I'm doing a fair amount of coding/typing/editing at work, which can lead to carpal-tunnel I think its time for me to step up my office setup.... And by that I mean buy my own mechanical keyboard and stop using the cheap membrane one work gave me with my HP Docking station.

I'm going ahead and ordering a mechanical keyboard tester to see which of the Cherry MX flavors my fingers prefer, but am hoping to get suggestions on what brands and models to look at, and just thoughts in general from those using these.

Here are the requirements. Keep in mind this is for my work computer, and I have to follow specific standards for what it can and can't do.

Things I need
-Wired if possible. Wireless w/o bluetooth also works
-Plug and play. I CANNOT load software on my work machine
-Keys can be removed for customization later
-As close to 100 bucks as possible

Things I DONT need, but would be nice
-Number pad
-Backlit (a single color like white would be fine)

Things I DONT need
-Macro keys
-Media Keys of any sort
-USB ports
-Headphone jacks
-Any sort of gaming feature set

Some brands that keep coming to the top are: Das Keyboard (close but a bit over my budget), Cherry (they make the Cherry mechanical switches and have some lower cost options), Corsair (bit above what I can do unless I find a deal), Ducky (in the same ballpark as Das Keyboard with some offerings in my range).

I'd love to hear thoughts from folks on what they are using and why. This is a bit new to me, but I figure its time I invest a bit in myself so I can keep hammering out code for years to come.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Take a look at the Corsair K63, I just snagged one a couple days ago and am very happy with it.
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 2018
    I got the set (brand new, sealed) from someone off Facebook for $25.00. It was regularly $150.00, and still goes for over $100.00 today. The keyboard itself retails for about $70.00: Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard — Backlit Keyboard, Fast-Charging, Dropout-Free 2.4GHz Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAGXWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GMb4AbJYCBHRN

Thanks John! Ironically enough, thats the keyboard I have at home for my HTPC (which rarely gets used as a computer). I may just have to bring it into work and see how I feel about it as it would cost me nothing :smile: .
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Ok, you want mechanical Cherry MX switches? Well most keyboard manufacturers use Cherry MX made switches as Cherry is the major supplier of the switches...there is however, different versions called by a colour, MX Red, MX Blue, MX Black, MX Brown and so on. Each clicks and responds a bit differently. Might I suggest you do a bit of Googling on that front cause I could exhaust the batteries in my Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated board.

Thanks! I did some serious video watching last night and it appears lots of folks suggest different things (surprise!). It did appear most mechanical keyboards use Cherry Switches, so thats somewhat helpful, its just seeing where they LIST that in their specs that can get annoying.

So to help make sure I know which MX Switch types I'd prefer I'm buying this guy so I can try out each Cherry MX variant myself.
    61ihfTgRYkL._SL1166_.jpg
    Honestly If I was you and had some decent computer shops in the area to go see if they have mechanical boards using different types of MX switches as they are all different in their feel, reaction and engagement. If you can lay hands on them go play...seriously a keyboard is as important as an amplifier or speaker, if it doesn't "feel" right then your not going to be happy with it.

We have BestBuy and Frys. Best Buy is fairly limited on their keyboard selection that are mechanical, and within my price range it seems (zip is 46112 so feel free to prove me wrong lol).

Fry's HAS some Cherry brand keyboards in stock and after getting an idea of which switch I'd prefer (in what order), I planned to make the hour trek up there to test the options out and get a feel for them, but my time is severely limited most times, so that 2+ hours is a bit hard to find.

Worst case, Newegg has a warehouse nearby I can pickup directly from, and I just have to keep buying and returning ones I dont like till I find the right one.... but thats a scenario I'd prefer to avoid.

Same with Amazon, we have 2 warehouses in Indy, both close, and wife has Prime so I'm not "hurting" for options, just dont want to be dragging in a new keyboard every week to try.
    Take a look at the Corsair K63, I just snagged one a couple days ago and am very happy with it.

Thanks Danny! I will read up on some reviews and see whats what. Quick question in looking at the specs. It doesn't NEED the software to function correct? Meaning I just lose the ability to program the Macro's, and maybe the media button functionality without it, but it still works as a standard keyboard?

If my work computer sees something plugged in thats NOT plug and play only it freaks out and I would get in massive trouble lol...
    Just my two cents is all. Those who catch it might see me using an extra U in words, don't mind me, I'm Canadian and we use spelling from across the pond.

No worries. My parents hail from WI, so we are practically Canadian lol.... Lots of long O's and U's in things.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I have a Coolermaster quickfire TK, which I would say is a gaming keyboard, but I use it for everything and it performs very nicely. And it’s not like your usual gaming keyboard with over-the-top RGB lighting and fancy switches and buttons and bells and whistles, it is very utilitarian for the most part, just has white backlights. Double shot keycaps, Cherry MX brown key switches, fully backlit with 3 different modes. Wired, and really heavy, like 3-4 pounds, it’s like trying to slide a boulder across your desk (lol jk). It does have keys for volume up/down, play/pause, and other stuff like that, but they are on the function keys and you need to turn on the function lock to be able to use them so they don’t have to be there (kind of).
    So what’s the catch, you ask? It’s discontinued. I believe there are some newer versions, but they are all over $150, which this one actually was. But if you can find a used one, I’d say you should buy it.
    Just my $0.02
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited April 2018
    I have been using Razer keyboards for a few years now with no problems. When I first tried a new mechanical keyboard it reminded me of the 1980s in a good way. Love the tactile feedback instead of trying to type on mush. Corsair is another good brand. No need to go for the most expensive ones that put on a light show. Been using the same Razer Blackwidow at work for the last 8 years.
  • EndersShadow
    Thanks! I'm not looking for that, but I've enjoyed the backlighting on my existing Logitech keyboard I have at home.

I'm mainly looking for something that works well long term, doesnt have anything crazy feature wise, or software wise that is needs and that I can customize a bit with funky keys later on, and that is mine so I can do that without feeling guilty :smile:

Some of the keyboards I've seen have some really nice color schemes beyond the standard black, in addition to having good internals.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Thanks Danny! I will read up on some reviews and see whats what. Quick question in looking at the specs. It doesn't NEED the software to function correct? Meaning I just lose the ability to program the Macro's, and maybe the media button functionality without it, but it still works as a standard keyboard?
    Correct, the software allows you to program macros and do fancy things with the lights. The multimedia keys and button on the keyboard to control the three lighting settings (High, Low, Off) do NOT require the software. The thing I find most appealing about this keyboard is that is can be used Wired or Wireless, and when being used wired it charges the keyboard. I typically run it wired to the work computer during the day then toss it in the drawer at night because I don't like clutter on my desk. I put the wireless dongle that came with it on the gaming PC, so when I have time to game I'll use it wirelessly over there.
  • EndersShadow
    Quick question. It doesn't NEED the software to function correct?
    Correct, the software allows you to program macros and do fancy things with the lights. The multimedia keys and button on the keyboard to control the three lighting settings (High, Low, Off) do NOT require the software. The thing I find most appealing about this keyboard is that is can be used Wired or Wireless, and when being used wired it charges the keyboard. I typically run it wired to the work computer during the day then toss it in the drawer at night because I don't like clutter on my desk. I put the wireless dongle that came with it on the gaming PC, so when I have time to game I'll use it wirelessly over there.

That would be nice. I have a laptop at work, and most of the time it lives attached to my dock (which I would hardwire the keyboard to), but a fair amount of time I'm up and about doing training, coding, taking large conference calls UNDOCKED, and it would be nice to have the wireless dongle so I could take the keyboard with me for those times as it would be easy to transport and use wireless in that scenario.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    One thing to note is it is tenkeyless, that was actually selling point for me since it makes it more portable but if you do a lot of number entry that could get annoying
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Don't have a specific keyboard recommendation but did 20+ years on keyboards. Was having problems with my carpal tunnel back in the early 90's, I was in my 20's, so my boss, Uncle Sam, sent out an occupational therapist to evaluate my work environment.

First thing the OT identified was my keyboard in proximity to hands and the carpal tunnel area under my wrist. Most people sitting at a desk rest their wrist on the edge of a desk and it bites into this region. Also, many laptops tend to bite in around the same area as the front of the keyboard. He recommended a gel pad support but I didn't really like them. In any case, awareness and hand position was always on my mind but it still became an aggravating factor for me.

Have managed to stave off CTS, however, anticipate I may need some surgery at some point. Thought it worth mentioning...you might find ways to mitigate this.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 2018
    One thing to note is it is tenkeyless, that was actually selling point for me since it makes it more portable but if you do a lot of number entry that could get annoying

Hrmmm.... that does put a bit of a kink in it, though I dont do a TON of data entry, the 10key is nice to have when I need to use it which is a couple times a month.

I could augment that with a separate number pad only keyboard to pull out for those times though....
    JayCee wrote: »
    Thought it worth mentioning...you might find ways to mitigate this.

Thanks John!

We do have a Ergonomic person that can come around and make suggestions. I'd prefer to avoid her if possible as I know my posture is bad, and she's going to make suggestions, and buy things based on ergonomic needs that I may not agree with (but then have to follow). She would be looking at it more from a ergo aspect and less from a comfort typing/ease of typing use. So they'd be suggesting things like a Microsoft split keyboard, rather than what I'm wanting (mechanical keyboard).

That said, I've been using a gel pad (mouse and keyboard) forever and plan to keep doing so. I also am debating trying to get a standing desk, but there is a bit of an expense in that. Since its a large company, it has to go through the ergo lady, and then corporate. Then we only order specific desks, and they are pricey (electric motors, stand alone, etc) so I'm holding off for now.

As long as the keyboard plugs in via USB (or wireless sans bluetooth dongle) and uses Windows Plug and Play drivers, I can use whatever I want.

I'm just tired of using what I started with and know there has to be a better keyboard out there for me that will help me long term, and also make sure I'm not screwed if the keyboard I have now breaks as the newer ones we are getting are even worse.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    With some of the backlit keyboards, like Razer, it is necessary to install drivers. Otherwise, the light pattern will be stuck at whatever the default was. In the case of the one I use at home the default was supposed to be a wave/pulse like pattern where the backlight would gradually increase then decrease the light output. Super annoying. With the drivers it is possible to turn the backlight off completely. Other than that, the keyboard itself is plug and play.
  • EndersShadow
    Yeah, thats something I'd look at before purchasing. The Logitech @John Megadeth recommended has a button you hit to adjust the brightness.

As long as there is a single color and it can either be totally on, totally off, or increased or decreased manually, I'd be fine.
  • EndersShadow
    Yeah, thats something I'd look at before purchasing. The Logitech @John Megadeth recommended has a button you hit to adjust the brightness.

As long as there is a single color and it can either be totally on, totally off, or increased or decreased manually, I'd be fine.

It is, white lighting only, with keyboard adjustable brightness. Works well and you'll know when the K800 wants to actually be plugged in...the backlight will stop working after a while when the batteries get weak.

Yup, I know lol..... I've got one upstairs :wink: