Taking a listen to your past equipment

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    Re: the antenna above (that is an antenna, isn't it?) -- and FWIW:
    I have a fairly remarkable collection of (mostly foundling) indoor/amplified antennae -- many (but not all) dump finds (of course). No BIC BeamBox (sadly), but I did pick up this little rascal for $7.00 at an antique radio fleamarket a few years back. I actually use this one, too.

14015969136_4b20b7732a_b.jpgDSC_9169 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yep - TERK amplified antenna! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Nice looking antenna. If central FL had any decent radio stations I would use the radio, but my options are classic jazz (not bad but we are just out of range) rap and hip hop (not my thing) and a gospel radio that plays the same exact 10 songs over and over again. I’ll stick to streaming and CDs.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    can you get any local public radio stations down there in central FL, maybe some NPR syndicated stuff? our local public has some pretty good programming. haven't listened to the others in probably 10-15years, easy.

antennas and a nice tuner are fun. lends a bit of atmosphere and life to the broadcast. I can "tune in" the same with a Squeezebox, too, but it just sounds cold and lifeless compared to that FM broadcast. It's got a certain body about it. Some air hiss, too, but for some music it works. I guess it's the radio version of some record noise.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Even though the smile's probably a dead giveaway, please don't tell us where.
    verb wrote: »
    Stock picture, but I'm sure I have this guy stored away somewhere! :smile:
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Now I have an urge to buy a tuner you SOB.
    msg wrote: »
    can you get any local public radio stations down there in central FL, maybe some NPR syndicated stuff? our local public has some pretty good programming. haven't listened to the others in probably 10-15years, easy.

antennas and a nice tuner are fun. lends a bit of atmosphere and life to the broadcast. I can "tune in" the same with a Squeezebox, too, but it just sounds cold and lifeless compared to that FM broadcast. It's got a certain body about it. Some air hiss, too, but for some music it works. I guess it's the radio version of some record noise.

• msg
    edited April 2018
    you're welcome :)
    B&K TS-108 is pretty nice.
    TS-108.jpg

Doc can probaby steer you to some other nice ones.

I spent a good bit of time messing with antennas, and found two that work pretty well. Doc gave me a few ideas on this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHHOZBI
    You can mount this inside. It's also a great test for marital health.
    41SEsnKGegL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EFHPKO
    21g9zLJl%2BdL.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited April 2018
    That one's out of stock.
    Monoprice make a tube tuner?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    I like the vintage tuner idea for this, personally, unless you really want to listen to the radio regularly and want a more modern piece or something that picks up HD?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Agreed:

maxresdefault.jpg
    I like the vintage tuner idea for this, personally, unless you really want to listen to the radio regularly and want a more modern piece or something that picks up HD?

• mhardy6647
    we use one of these at our house. FM tubes, bubbeleh.

32420517023_402521c8de_b.jpgDSC_7288 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mlistens03

I can get NPR but I don’t care for talk shows and I haven’t found any that are music (except for the car talk re-runs, I try to listen to those every week). The jazz station is actually just fine to listen to and I like jazz but I can’t listen to it for too long because the songs are so long and that just about drives me crazy. Other than that, there is nothing really my style in the area, although I have thought about buying the Sirius or XM antenna for my receiver to listen to satellite radio.
  • mlistens03
    I loooooove that you can see through the diaphragm on electrostatic speakers. Those are electrostats, right? I can’t tell at a glance.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2018
    Oh crap! I am not worthy @halo!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I loooooove that you can see through the diaphragm on electrostatic speakers. Those are electrostats, right? I can’t tell at a glance.

Those are InnerSound electrostatic hybrids. ESL panel up top with woofer in a transmission line enclosure on the bottom. InnerSound is long gone but you can buy the new & improved version from Sanders Sound Systems.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Oh crap! I am not worthy @halo!

Pffft! SDA's are nothing to sneeze at man. I'd love to locate a set for my current abode!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I'm about to bring out of mothballs an Ebay cheapie replay of my first decent receiver, a Panasonic SA-6500. It's got bad filter caps and needs a general cleanup, but sounds very nice, like an old Marantz. Built like one inside, too. The only weak spot in the unit is the slider controls, they are basically a huge pain to replace, if you can find one and a lot of the volume ones are worn out at this point:9hmqceqg9ebc.jpg
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    6412894_orig.jpg
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • mhardy6647
    a rare beast to be sure.
    Three gang AM tuner section -- nice.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    My leftovers eventually morph into another system that I find in need of upgrades.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    aoghd6z6a9dj.jpg
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    9v630rzv5z81.jpg

Sometimes i still put on a cassette or 2 on these old boomboxes.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    In all seriousness, the two big ones on the top shelf in the first photo are probably worth more than most of the stuff gathering dust here :/
  • erniejade
    All3 on top. The conion on the left. Then prosonic. And the right is the sharp 777.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the two big ones on the top shelf in the first photo are probably worth more than most of the stuff gathering dust here :/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conion-C-100F-Ghettoblaster-Boombox-in-Awesome-Condition-/230721079274
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    OK -- one of 'em is worth more than all my cr@p!

:p
  • mhardy6647
    FWIW, one sort-of interesting boombox did pass through our hallowed halls, briefly.
    Not a high-end one by any means, but interesting enough that I couldn't pass it up when I espied it on the swap pile at the ol' Harvard town dump one Saturday.

ouz71bk152ye.png

I think it even worked -- at least somewhat. I actually don't remember what I did with it - but it's not here anymore.