joule electra pre

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    NICE!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Pricey, but, worth it I believe. I'm sinking about that much into mine now. This is the piece that will probably stay with me forever. I can find nothing in it's sonic fingerprint that I don't like. Anyone remotely considering an endgame pre should seriously give this a listen.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    I have the SE without HT bypass, thats a great price.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2018
    There is one at AA for 1750,, IIRC it’s a LA 150
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Kerry could you expand on what it is about it's sonic presentation that wows you so much? I'm trying to get an understanding of what is so special about these preamps.

Or is it just one of those "you need to hear it to understand it" situations?
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Pricey, but, worth it I believe. I'm sinking about that much into mine now. This is the piece that will probably stay with me forever. I can find nothing in it's sonic fingerprint that I don't like. Anyone remotely considering an endgame pre should seriously give this a listen.

• kharp1
    Lush without being gooey, great presentation and an overall sense that everything is just right. At the $1K price the 150 commonly sells at its a bargain. One of the reasons I felt compelled to see where it could go with some upgrades.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Lush without being gooey, great presentation and an overall sense that everything is just right. At the $1K price the 150 commonly sells at its a bargain. One of the reasons I felt compelled to see where it could go with some upgrades.

wondering if this had come up before the upgrades to your pre would it have made sense for you to buy this one and then sell yours?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    What a beautiful pre amp. Wow! I wanna see it with its top off :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    What a beautiful pre amp. Wow! I wanna see it with its top off :smile:

Dirty old man
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    marvda1 wrote: »

wondering if this had come up before the upgrades to your pre would it have made sense for you to buy this one and then sell yours?

I personally don't have, nor ever see a need for, HT bypass. I'm going to have some nice upgraded caps and wiring probably better than this one without the added expense of the HT bypass. Plus, it's just something I wanted to do.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    My La-100 passes the signal in standby mode, so didn't really need a dedicated HT pass. I have since separated the system into 2, but it worked like a charm when I had it doing double duty.

What makes these pre's special ?

Like Kerry said, everything is just right, no over emphasis in any of the frequencies, great pratt , warm without being bloated or mushy. Bass lines are about as sharp as a SS pre too. Just very musical without drawing attention to itself. Built with quality, voiced by Judd himself....these pre's are bargains.

Joule certainly isn't the only pre amp to offer these traits, but at the going rate of 1 to 1.5k, they are about the best bang for your buck that will put you into the realm of sound that normally would cost thousands more.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable