Stock price questions

Options
obieone
obieone Posts: 5,077
If my stock closed at $XX.XX/ share on Friday, will it open at that price on Monday, or can it fluctuate over the weekend?
Also, if I put in a limit order, that is below the current price, will it sell immediately, or wait until it reaches that price?
Example: Limit order for $35.00, currently trading at $35.63
TIA
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Most orders only stay in effect for the day, unless you specify otherwise. If your price isn't reached the order will expire unfulfilled. Typically, the closing price is the next days opening price, however, with afterhours trading, the opening price can immediately be altered when the actual "trading day" opens. How your brokerage house submits it's trades can change the price you get if you put in an immediate buy, or sell, order. It's usually better to set a price and put your order in to stay in effect until that price is reached, unless it's in trouble. If it's in freefall, and there is no hope of recovery, take the best price you can get and cut your losses. Most stocks will usually rebound after a troubled trading period, and, sudden, knee jerk reactions are best avoided.

I am not a broker, though I use to have me series 6 and 63 license to trade. Please, do your own research, or, if you're not comfortable with your judgement, contact a licensed broker.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As I understand things, (as a layman = full disclosure) I have observed in my account:

There is no guarantee that the stock will open Monday at the same price. It opens at the price that someone's willing to buy it at.

If you put in a sell limit order (i.e. "stop loss") below the current price, it will likely sell immediately, yes, of course based on someone willing to buy at that price. Stop losses are used to manage the downside on price.

If you put in a buy limit order below the current price, it will wait until someone wants to sell and that price and then you will get it. Buy limits allow you to buy a stock if it makes a temporary dip and not have to watch the market all day. ** There is of course, no guarantee it won't dip lower, and you won't get it at that lower price, you'll get it at the price you specified most likely even if its higher than the close or lowest price of the day.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre