RTiA9 with a vintage Sansui 771 or Pioneer SX535 Receiver

Hi,

First day on this forum :)

I love Polk Audio.

I currently have Polk Monitor 75T and 65T powered by a Sansui 771 receiver. I also have a Pioneer SX535 receiver that I have listened to with these speakers.

I am interested in buying a pair of RTiA9 to use with one of these receivers.

The Sansui is rated at 32W per channel and the Pioneer is 20W (I think).

Can anyone provide their opinion whether these receivers will work with the RTiA9??

Thanks a bunch..

Comments

• dolbyddolbyd Posts: 256
    Nope.
    your going to want around 200 watts of power from a high current amp.
    They are power hungry.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, Emotiva X-500,X-150, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50,PS Audio Power Port X2, Perfect Wave AC-5 x4

Office- Infinity Kappa 600, Kappa Center, in ceiling Polk RC80i, SVS PC 2000, Marantz 5010, OPPO 203, Emotiva X300, Sony 48"

Master BR- LSi7, LSiC, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-PC 2000, Marantz SR5012, Adcom 7500, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" 800B

Workout room- RT2000P, CS1000P, Pioneer Elite SC81, OPPO 103, Panasonic Plasma VT 42"

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3

Storage room at this time- LS90, RT16, CS350LS
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,452
    edited April 19
    They'll work but don't crank it or you'll kill your tweeters at a minimum.

EDIT: And keep the bass at flat on the controls and the loudness switch OFF.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • ThareekThareek Posts: 7
    Ah I see.I was tempted to get these because they are on sale locally for $800 a pair :)
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,452
    Thareek wrote: »
    Ah I see.I was tempted to get these because they are on sale locally for $800 a pair :)

Even your Monitor's would benefit from better amplification, you could go that route first.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,602
    Thareek wrote: »

That's been the biggest problem. Great deal on these big speakers until they come on the forum with burnt crossovers, blown tweeters,and/or damaged head-ends.

There has been a ton of RTiA9 owners that come to the forum with all these issues.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Thanks for the heads up folks. It would have been a pain to haul these back to the store once I figured they did not work.

I saw a pair of used Monitor 60 series 2 for sale locally. Will give those a try as I do like what I hear out of the monitors.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,600
    You're gonna need a bigger amp, period.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,132
    edited April 20
    If available consider the RTi A5s. While they will happier w/more juice than you have, they’re no where near as demanding as the 9s or 7s.

No shame there
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,622
    Not to change the subject ;) but the 771 is an adorable little receiver. It wouldn't be a bad match for a pair of Monitor 5 or 7 if one wanted to go the vintage route.

Just saying.

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    I am in Edmonton, Canada. Stumbling upon some older monitors if kinda difficult. Although that would be great.

I’ll checkout the RTiA5. They are on sale locally for $600 per pair (its Canada).

I’m also considering getting some Minitor 60 Series ii because I think they are similar to the minitor 65T that I now own and I like the sound when paird with the Sansui.

Decisions....
    Quick update. I bought a pair T600 and RtiA7 to try out. Have about a month to decide on which to keep. From what I read, the T600 is basically a Monitor60.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,132
    While the RtiA7s, power wise, are more forgiving than the ‘A9s, they still like power
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
    That’s what I figured. They were rated from 20w per channel and up. But, at $370 per, I thought it was a good deal (for Canada at least). That said, I am leaning towards the T600.
    Does anyone have input on the signature S55 or S60 for my application? I recently listened to these and they were pretty awesome