Suncoast Audio...

Options
kharp1
kharp1 Posts: 3,453
I'm in Clearwater for nine days and thought I'd check out a couple of audio shops while I was in the area. Looked up Suncoast Audio and checked their brands, hours and got directions downloaded from Google maps. Tried to go yesterday, but, due to accident on 75 I got rerouted and maps took me to the wrong place. Ended up an hour away and I wouldn't reach them before 5pm closing.

Made this my primary destination today and arrived at 11:15 am only to find them close and a sign on the door that states "By Appointment Only." Nowhere on their website did I ever see by appointment only! I'm a bit miffed to say the least. I curse the owner with festering sores on his arse so painful he can't move.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Oh no! That's @BlueFox's dealer! Too bad you couldn't have had Bud tell him you were coming so he could've accommodated you.

But yeah, lame that nothing on the website says "by appointment only".
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Boo Hoo. Mike is a great guy. I visited there last September and had a great time.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Did you read the post? I went online abd checked them out, and, it nowhere did it state "By Appointment Only." I called and spoke with Mike and he's out of town. He told me the website states by appointment only, however, I'm on my phone and the mobile site says nothing about needing an appointment.

Guess the take away from this is call first to verify. Wasted 6 hours drive time as well as toll costs both ways.
    Post edited by kharp1 on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    I walked through blizzards and snow chest high, ten miles in each direction just to go to school, so forgive me for not being too concerned about your first-world problems... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I walked through blizzards and snow chest high, ten miles in each direction just to go to school, so forgive me for not being too concerned about your first-world problems... :p

Total BS, you didn't go to school! Well, you may have went to a location that had a school, but, I'm betting you spent more time behind the football stadium smoking funny cigarettes. B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Now that....would warrant a nasty email. Maybe some eggs on the windows too.

Screw that !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yes, let's vandalize his business because he doesn't allow walk-ins.
    tonyb wrote: »

Screw that !!

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yes, let's vandalize his business because he doesn't allow walk-ins.

Screw that !!

Yeah, lets....since he doesn't think wasting customers time is no big deal. Put the notice on your website for Christ sake, is it so hard ? If that was me instead of Kerry, smoke would be coming out my ears.....and bad things happen when that occurs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It is listed on the website: https://suncoastaudio.com/contact/

Opening Hours (By Appointment Only)

Monday to Friday: 10am-5pm
    Saturday: 12-4pm
    Sunday: closed
    Yeah, lets....since he doesn't think wasting customers time is no big deal. Put the notice on your website for Christ sake, is it so hard ? If that was me instead of Kerry, smoke would be coming out my ears.....and bad things happen when that occurs.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    The notice is absolutely on the website. Also generally a pretty good idea to make sure of these things before committing that much time especially when high end audio shops often work in this fashion.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kharp1
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Geez guys, read the post. I was on my mobile device and it doesn't show up as by appointment only. I foundd that out by calling him. He told me it was on the website, and, I believe him. Only thing I have to go on is my phone, and, I went back and looked and it says nothing about needing an appointment.

My fault for not calling to verify.

And, @stangman67 that is one of the big reasons why I'm put off by the industry.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    Options
    Nowhere on the mobile website does it say by appointment only. It states the hours that it's open each day of the week but no mention of by appointment only
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Ah, yeah, he needs to get the mobile version of his site to also say appointment only.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just use the web site on your phone. I never use mobile apps on my phone. They are always deficient in one way or another.

Also, join AudioShark and PM him.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    The phone's browser requests the mobile version of the website by default. If the site has one, it obliges.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Just use the web site on your phone. I never use mobile apps on my phone. They are always deficient in one way or another.

Also, join AudioShark and PM him.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    I can text mike any time and he answers

He’s a good guy
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The only place the mobile shows it is in "contact us" drop down
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Suncoast_Audio
    Options
    My apologies kharp1. I appreciate you calling and I’m sorry I wasn’t around. Thanks for the heads up on the mobile site, I’ll get that added immediately. I’m in DC doing an install for a client this week (booked back in December) and would not have been around. Please accept my apologies and if you’re around Friday, I’ll be back.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Nowadays I have learned that most independent dealers are by appointment only. Suncoast is a good dealer and Mike is too. I would not hold this against him from what I know of Mike
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    YAY!!!! PIZZA FOR EVERYBODY!!!!

mocqz4j7mrgj.jpg
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    A local shop about an hour south of me, in Provo UT has adopted a similar business model - appointments only, at your place or his. When I asked him about it, he said that between the price of commercial real estate, product margins, and of all things ADA requirements for the store front (Which would have required him doing a $6k bathroom remodel) forced him to abandon the physical location. Apparently, one of the "professional ADA lawsuit" individuals hit the strip mall where his shop was located, and filed suit for inaccessible restrooms. now they have to be redone, and the landlord will not foot the bill.

In another 10 years, I doubt there will be any high-end audio shops left...:-(
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    A local shop about an hour south of me, in Provo UT has adopted a similar business model - appointments only, at your place or his. When I asked him about it, he said that between the price of commercial real estate, product margins, and of all things ADA requirements for the store front (Which would have required him doing a $6k bathroom remodel) forced him to abandon the physical location. Apparently, one of the "professional ADA lawsuit" individuals hit the strip mall where his shop was located, and filed suit for inaccessible restrooms. now they have to be redone, and the landlord will not foot the bill.

That’s for sure.
    Utah Audio in Sandy just moved into a warehouse space and its Now Appointment Only. Haven’t talked with Brian the owner yet but it’s got to be that same story.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options

Idiots like the "professional ADA lawsuit" individual won't have to worry about silly things like bathrooms when there's no more stores because of them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Idiots like the "professional ADA lawsuit" individual won't have to worry about silly things like bathrooms when there's no more stores because of them.

That's why I wear diapers...
  • kharp1
    Options
    Thanks to Mike for reaching out that shows great character, and, I hope he knows that the "festering sores on his arse" comment was my flippant sense of humor. I certainly hope he doesn't come down with some terrible rash back there...or anywhere for that matter.

I understand why the business has gone the way it has, especially from the hours of conversation Skip and I have had, but, I still don't like it. I can also appreciate that when I want to audition equipment priced in the equivalent of a small starter home that I could do that with out being interupted by some yahoo comparing what I'm auditioning with a pair of thrusters he had that were "killer man." I still miss the ability to stroll around an audio shop unmolested until I talk myself in to making a purchase that I really didn't need, but, talked myself in to not being able to live without it. I realize the times have changed and we'll probably never have business the way it once was. There's both good and bad to that. I don't like it, but, nobody said I had to.

Geez, I sound like an old codger. Somebody put me put of everyones misery! B)