WTB: high current amp

2»

Comments

  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 820
    If I recall that requires 20A outlets.
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,831
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.

    for both sides of the amp......2 lines, two outlets
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.

    for both sides of the amp......2 lines, two outlets

    Two duplex outlets for one amp? I know it has two power cords but do you think each side needs its own dedicated 20a line? I figured one dedicated line to a duplex outlet would be good for now since where my setup is located in the house now isn't where it's going to be staying.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,831
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.

    for both sides of the amp......2 lines, two outlets

    Two duplex outlets for one amp? I know it has two power cords but do you think each side needs its own dedicated 20a line? I figured one dedicated line to a duplex outlet would be good for now since where my setup is located in the house now isn't where it's going to be staying.

    If it was me and in it's final resting place yes I would run TWO 20amp dedicated lines to two outlets.
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    I agree, for now I'll run atleast one but maybe two dedicated lines. When i finish the basement and get a dedicated listening room again, i plan to run atleast 3.

  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,442
    That, HCA 3500 when hottodded became what is the Parasound JC series. That 3500 is an awesome kit.


    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,362
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    No worries, i was thinking about running a 20a line anyway. This will just "force" me to.

    for both sides of the amp......2 lines, two outlets

    Two duplex outlets for one amp? I know it has two power cords but do you think each side needs its own dedicated 20a line? I figured one dedicated line to a duplex outlet would be good for now since where my setup is located in the house now isn't where it's going to be staying.

    If it was me and in it's final resting place yes I would run TWO 20amp dedicated lines to two outlets.

    That's what I just did and my amp has no such need, but they told me to do it, so I did! My father would have asked, "If they told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?" Well, Dad, it depends on how high that bridge is... :)
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 990
    If all my friends were jumping off a cliff, I would jump after.
    Their bodies would break my fall :tongue:
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,538
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    If all my friends were jumping off a cliff, I would jump after.
    Their bodies would break my fall :tongue:

    I have absolutely no desire to land on any of my friend's bodies.
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    Well, the Hca3500 deal fell through due to logistics...the search continues
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 990
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    If all my friends were jumping off a cliff, I would jump after.
    Their bodies would break my fall :tongue:

    I have absolutely no desire to land on any of my friend's bodies.

    Haha good point. Still though, better than going splat.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    What is everyone's thoughts on class D amps like the Wyred4Sound sx1000 monoblocks? I've read that they have a ton of power obviously but will they be as sweet/smooth sounding as class A, or A/B?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,497
    Meh! W4S doesn't sound like music to me. Getting D right is a challenge.
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    That's what i was worried of, especially since i prefer a "warmer" sound to an analytical one.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 990
    edited April 29
    My dads Pioneer SC-25 receiver sounds pretty good on his speakers, and it uses class D, but I’ve never given it a serious listen. Besides, his speakers aren’t anything great, although he does have a nice Luxman TT
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

    Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

    Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,497
    The Pioneer SC series are superb receivers and a type of class D I can stand, but they still don't compare to proper separates. The sound is still two dimensional, though the tone is not as artificial as other D amps I've experienced.
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,057
    DSkip wrote: »
    The Pioneer SC series are superb receivers and a type of class D I can stand, but they still don't compare to proper separates. The sound is still two dimensional, though the tone is not as artificial as other D amps I've experienced.

    I think that's a fairly good assessment. Class D just lacks some musicality to my ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 327
    Anyone have ears yet on the latest PS Audio class D amps?
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    I've been reading some about that Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it has me intrigued. The specs look good, its deceiving because it doesn't seem to be a physically large piece of equipment. Do you guys think this would be a step up from my B&K seperates and will it have any trouble pushing the big Polks?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,057
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I've been reading some about that Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it has me intrigued. The specs look good, its deceiving because it doesn't seem to be a physically large piece of equipment. Do you guys think this would be a step up from my B&K seperates and will it have any trouble pushing the big Polks?

    Yes it's a step up and no, won't have a problem pushing the Polks. The MF A5 is a nice integrated no bones about it. If you can snag one for a great price, do so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    tonyb wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I've been reading some about that Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it has me intrigued. The specs look good, its deceiving because it doesn't seem to be a physically large piece of equipment. Do you guys think this would be a step up from my B&K seperates and will it have any trouble pushing the big Polks?

    Yes it's a step up and no, won't have a problem pushing the Polks. The MF A5 is a nice integrated no bones about it. If you can snag one for a great price, do so.

    Thanks Tony, what would a fair price be on one, under 1k?
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,603
    They float around from $850-$1200

    There's one for $900 on US audiomart right now

    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649431963-musical-fidelity-a5-integrated-amplifier/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,203
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.

    Did you get it?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

    Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

    Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.

    Did you get it?

    Meeting him tomorrow, he was nice enough to drive half way. I'll post some impressions once i get my ears on it.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,203
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.

    Did you get it?

    Meeting him tomorrow, he was nice enough to drive half way. I'll post some impressions once i get my ears on it.

    Well..,.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

    Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

    Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 310
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    That's the one I'm interested in, if all looks good i should be able to grab it in a couple days.

    Did you get it?

    Meeting him tomorrow, he was nice enough to drive half way. I'll post some impressions once i get my ears on it.

    Well..,.

    Sorry for the delayed post, i wasn't able to get it set up until last night. First off, the build quality on this thing is very nice. The amp is much beefier/more nice looking than pictures on the interwebs show. I turned it on and played a few songs to let it warm up while I was doing other things, then i sat down with some bourbon and listened for a while.

    First thing I noticed when compared to my B&k gear is a much more quiet background. The imaging is great. I could pinpoint instruments and voices more so than ever before. Overall it has a very smooth musical sound with strong bass and great highs without being shrill. And Tony was correct, this amp has no problem pushing the big Polks, it can really crank if you want it to. I'm very happy with my first impressions and can't wait to listen some more today.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!