Need advice on Best Center speaker to pair with RTI-A5's

Room Size 14x14

Currently I have the RM6750 as my surround speakers don't have a problem with them.

Rti-A5s 10.5" away from main seating area
Center same. The Center channel is the RM6750 currently & is way under powered..

There is a Sub in the Mix as well. It's the RM6750 8" Sub not the best i know but at the price I got the 5.1 system "dirt cheep".

Don't care on price I just want it to sound correct. I've read through the forums CSiA4/6, had one person say the S35?

There is no External AMP currently, I do want a 3 channel AMP to power the front stage.

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,972
    You want a CSi A6.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,718
    Agree, if you have room for it. Pretty big speaker.

The other choice is the CSI A4, much smaller, less dynamic.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,403
    CSI-A6
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Cobragt88Cobragt88 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advise. Next problem What AMP to power the center stage...... 250 is alot to fully drive those Rti-A5 and the CSI-A6 is power hungry as well.
    What AVR are you using? Does it have pre-out to hook up an amp? What is the main use of the system? Movies or music?

I had a set or RTi8's with a CSI-5, same as your speakers just one model back. I was driving them with a Sony ES AVR and it did do a nice job. A friend was selling an Emotiva amp and let me try it for a few days. of yes it was nice, gave my system a more open sound. My system didn't need an amp but it sure sounded better with one.

Depending on your AVR I would look at getting a better sub, either HSU or SVS before an amp.

For Amp's it all about budget, new or used. For the low end Emotiva on the mid grade Parasound.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Cobragt88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise. Next problem What AMP to power the center stage...... 250 is alot to fully drive those Rti-A5 and the CSI-A6 is power hungry as well.

Set all your speakers to small, cross over to the sub at 80Hz. You won't need an amp, especially in a 14' x 14' room.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

mrloren: I have a Denon AVR-X4400H it does have front center/Left Pre out plus pre out for SUB. F1nut all my speakers are set to small, do I set the crossover in the AVR or the back of the sub to 80HZ? Or both? ATM it is set to 120 LFE in AVR and same on back of SUB.
    Set the crossover in the AVR.

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,307
    I wouldn't even use the sub. Sorry man but my buddy had that package for years and the sub is more like a Bose bass module than a sub, it gives you almost nothing below 50 hz. I wouldn't use it personally, but if I did I would only use it for the surrounds and the .1 LFE channel.

You have a really nice receiver that can put out about 100 WPC 5 channels driven, and those A5s aren't THAT power hungry. I would set the front three to large, unless you are going to seriously crank it. Which you shouldn't without an amp. But you can still listen at a very healthy volume running your front three full range without an amp. Check the review of the avr-x4200w, just a couple years old:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    Yes you have a very nice AVR. Set the crossover on the AVR to 80HZ and get a good sub.

HSU or SVS.
    An HSU VTF2 would work nice with that setup
    http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,307
    mrloren wrote: »
    Yes you have a very nice AVR. Set the crossover on the AVR to 80HZ and get a good sub.

HSU or SVS.
    An HSU VTF2 would work nice with that setup
    http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

I agree that if your main goal is HT, then skip the amp for now and get a good sub. But a nice warm amp like a Parasound or B&K would make those speakers sing.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    thanks all for the info. That AVR was on sale when i got it. rooftop59 so that's why it sounds like it bottoms out alot. LOL, i knew it wasn't the best SUB but I will replace it when I can just payed all this stuff off.. SVS 12 or 15" are alot in CAD like 1500 to 2K got alot to save up for a nice SUB.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    You can get a brand new SVS Sub for around 500 down here, can't believe there is that much difference. The Looney must be worth less than the Peso. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    Follow up. Having the Csi A6 Center now is an unreal upgrade "bought on sale". Living in Canada HSU will not ship to me. SVS Will. What is a better Sub to have for movie watching, more than music. Ported or non Ported. Also what is your thoughts on Bi-Amping speakers?
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,008
    For movies I'd go ported but sealed will be fine as well. Some nice Memorial Day deals this weekend in the SVS outlet store.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/type_subwoofers
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    Follow up. Having the Csi A6 Center now is an unreal upgrade "bought on sale". Living in Canada HSU will not ship to me. SVS Will. What is a better Sub to have for movie watching, more than music. Ported or non Ported. Also what is your thoughts on Bi-Amping speakers?

Ported is generally the choice for movies, but a good sealed sub is my choice. The key word being good. Sealed subs also tend to be smaller, so easier to place. The SVS SB4000 would be an excellent choice.

You cannot bi-amp with an AVR, period. True bi-amping is complicated and costly, forget you ever thought about it.

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    F1nut wrote: »

You cannot bi-amp with an AVR, period. True bi-amping is complicated and costly, forget you ever thought about it.

The manufacturers call it bi amping but it really isn’t. It does *technically* use different amp chips but everything else is the same, including the power supply which is the thing that makes it not bi amping.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    Nice glad you like the center speaker. DO NOT BI-AMP PLEASE.

For sealed or ported sub all depends on the user. I have an HSU VTF which can be sealed or ported. I found the best is one port open. Sealed on movies sounded good but the dishes were not shaking. Sealed did sound a tad better on music.

SVS are great subs, either ported or sealed will do you just fine.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
    great thanks for the input. Ho long will it take to break in the CSI A6 normally? Days weeks...
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,155
    edited May 26
    ...what are your thoughts on Bi-Amping speakers?
    By and large and by my example I agree w/the consensus. True bi-amping or tri-amping correctly while challenging, has great payoffs in performance.

However OTOH, if you have the wire, try it. It’s quick, easy, & free to experiment. If not don’t persue it. (Here come the tomatoes!)
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
    So Final update on setup just finally got the SVS SB 2000 sub added & setup to my system. What a difference in Bass. Got the SVS soundpath RCA Interconnect to the LFE
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,957
    Congratulations, enjoy your system!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers