Donde' este' POLKs?

Options
TrappedUnder Ice
TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
for Micha and the polk guys.. just curious about something. I was in the local cc today and my friend was talking about how the quantity of polks is getting smaller and smaller. They have like 2pair of 2000i's and thats it..cant get any more... about the same with most of the other speakers... wondering when the newer stuff is comming out to fill these voids... IMO... it does not make Polk look good to be discontinuing speakers...and not have something to replace it with on the shelves.... just one mans' perspective..

Thomas
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    In another post Polk Paul said that the RT55i, RT600i, and RT2000i are being discontinued to allow the LSi's to fill that niche.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    Options
    It's too bad if they are diss'n the 55's and others. They were great speakers at great prices. The new Lsi line is out of my price range and I will not buy any.

Is Polk trying to go hi-end and ditch the mid-line stuff? If so, that will really put a limit on sales for the guy on a budget like me. I must say the nearly $200 jump from RT55 to Lsi9 is a bit steep. Not worth it IMO.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited January 2002
    Options
    The new Lsi line is out of my price range and I will not buy any.
    OK, whatever you say Mr. "I got a free Durango and a pay increase." :p Just messin'.

By the way, that's a nearly $200 price increase per speaker! I'm quite surprised that they're discontinuing the RT55i. Maybe the RT800i sold a lot better, but somehow I find that hard to believe. I'm sure there's a method to the madness.

Aaron
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Aaron...this may be true....that they are replacing those with Lsi models...but that does not make any sense...thought they were being replace with a newer rt line...just there is no overlap with polk?
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    what my question is, is how is the LSi line going to 'fill in the holes' of the 55/600/1000 when it is up in the air if CC is even going to carry the LSi line, along with thousands of other dealers??? LSi is trying to get back into high-end, so many of the mid-fi dealers won't carry them, cause the LSi's will be out of their customer's prince range and they won't be able to move them, meanwhile there mid-range selection of polk is diminishing, and may cause the consumer to look elsewhere for there mid-fi product. i can understand this if polk is looking to establish themselves back in the hi-fi market, but when their bread and butter is the rti line, how does this add up? right now, this just not make sense, i guess we'll see how it will all pan out...
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I think it would be nice to hear from a Polk employee about this situation. Many of us have spent alot just making the system we have and now we won't have the opportunity to make any modifications to our setup, because we can't find the speakers to match. We have already heard in other threads that the LSI line and the RTi line do not match in sound. Does this mean we will have to goto a different brand to get mid-range speakers? This is just my view on the situation.

Greg
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Do the Polk guys just avoid threads like these?

OK, whatever you say Mr. "I got a free Durango and a pay increase."
    Very funny Mr. Smartie pants. I do have to work for it ya know.

If...
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Polk is changing direction.
    Middle of the road is going away.
    The Goodguys are no longer selling them.
    Circuit City may follow suit.
    The lower end stuff will be available at Walmart.
    The higher end stuff...who knows?

The prices on rt's fx's etc. are lower than ever.
    Finish those systems now boys... don't wait.

Just put the finishing touches on my system with
    a pair of rt25i's for front effect speakers.
    That makes an even dozen Polk speakers.

foward ho....

-luc
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Looks like I may have to buy a few extra RT25i's, just for collector items.

Sad to see Polk doing this.

If...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    Options
    lessee here.....

they didn't say they were going away with the RT25i or the 35i.....just the 55i, 600i and the 2000.

stick with me here for a minute....

the 600i, I can see them axing that because already you have the R40 and RT800i....so if you nix the RT600i, I don't see the big deal there. Most people it seems lean to the RT800i anyway.

The RT2000, how many powered towers can you have? The LSi has a powered tower and you still have the RT1000i.....I can see that. I'm not much of a fan of powered towers anyway and I wonder how many the sold.....if you are dropping that much on speakers maybe the LSi line isn't such a stretch.

The RT55i seems to be the one causing the most heartburn....and I can see that but I can see the rationale.....look you have the RT800i which is a floorstander, RT800i/RT55i seems like a wash to me. The 55i is a pretty damn big bookshelf and I don't see anyone wall mounting them. Buy the time you buy decent stands for them you are looking at the same amount of money. I can see that too....

wouldn't it be cool if they replaced the RT55i with a newer version of the RT7 ??

I say be patient.......let's see what happens before we storm the Bastille.

sorry for the ramble

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    but even the soon to come replacement's for the 25, 35, 400, 800, 2000, and f/x's are going to have new tweeters in them, so anyone who doesn't have a complete HT set-up now will be SOL if they don't have the cash to drop on the matching speaker's that are out now....
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited January 2002
    Options
    ...polk needs to get their **** together.

joe :mad:
  • Aaron
    edited January 2002
    Options
    but even the soon to come replacement's for the 25, 35, 400, 800, 2000, and f/x's are going to have new tweeters in them, so anyone who doesn't have a complete HT set-up now will be SOL if they don't have the cash to drop on the matching speaker's that are out now....
    Based on what Polk Paul said I don't expect them to be drastically different. I think the change will be like the change from the RT to the RTi line. They should still match.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I also look at it this way.....there are lots of folks using Monitor and SDA speakers with the CS400i....yes, the tweeters are different but not drastically so.

I'ts not like this line has been around forever....when Polk did away with the original RT line 3,5,7 so on....it wasn't the end of the world....

be patient, Polk hasn't made it this far by being idiots...

Troy
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I agree with Troy. My Monitor series IIs are 12 years old. The new centers match well enough to not cause problems. Its not the perfect match like the M5 I had in the center for a long time but it works. IMO the center is not as important of timbra match since it is mainly for voices. Where the fronts sides and backs have to match for sound effects to be right. The FX series is different enough, in the way they work, so ‘I’ can't here a difference in tweeters. Also my 12 year old speakers sound just as good if not better then the day I bought them. With the exception of several blown tweeters, which is my fault. Sorry for the length but in closeing if Polk can make 12 year old and older speakers work with new, I don't think anyones system is in jepardy if not finished yet. Also we get great prices right now on the RT line. Just my opinion. :)
    Chris :)
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited January 2002
    Options
    The Rt55's will be replaced by another rt line speaker, but haven't been givin any info beyond that. As far as the other models.... just wait and see.

At least, that was coming from our local Polk Rep.

Shep
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2002
    Options
    American TV Furniture & Appliance, a regional chain & authorized Polk dealer, has this is their Sunday flyer: POLK AUDIO FINAL CLOSEOUT! Shown are the RT15i, 25i, 35i, 55i, 600i, & 1000i.

I talked to someone there before this ad came out. They won't carry LSi, but have already special ordered some for those who gotta have 'em.

Don't know about release dates of replacements for the non-LSi spkrs, but if you live in American's area (WI & parts of IL & Iowa), the flyer says website is www.americantv.com
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Aaron
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Nice job again, Polk! They look beautiful! It was definitely a good call to ditch the plastic in favor of wood.

Aaron
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I think Polk should give everyone on this forum a free pair of RT55i's as a gift. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Systems
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Since the RT55i's aren't going to be "directly replaced", perhaps there'll be enhanced resale value if I eventually decide to get rid of 'em & someone out there wants 'em really bad. And without a direct replacement, there's no new version to be envious of. I guess that bookshelfs that approach two feet tall & weigh over 30# apiece just don't have a broad appeal. However, if you want to bring down the walls with affordable, decent-sounding bookshelfs, they're the answer. And with 91db sensitivity, you don't have to buy an audiophile-grade amp to get any sound outta 'em. I am currently resisting the impulse to upgrade to LSi 9. We'll see how long that lasts!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Aaron
    edited January 2002
    Options
    "Resistance is futile."

Aaron
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    Options
    At least now we know who's making you do it.

-luc

PS Thought I heard somewhere that the new line is
    4 ohm, how would you run those with 8 ohm rated speakers?
  • Systems
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Some receivers will at least allow you to run 4 ohms for one set of speakers, although you may not be able to run 2 sets of 4 ohm spkrs if you try to use your A & B main spkrs at the same time. The need for powering at least 5 spkrs has caused, generally speaking, a loss of ohm capacity in mid-fi receivers. Thus the importance of preouts & seperate amps. Of course, if you still like old-fashioned stereo, a receiver with 4-ohm capacity can still be had for $300, the Onkyo 8511, at CCity.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Where is Micah? Did you can him? If so, where do I send my resume??

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Thanks. Much love to you, too. (I can't believe I just said "much love." What's the matter with me?)

No, instead of doing it wrong the first time, it's better for me to prod Paul into answering some of these more "delicate" questions. And I mean PROD. PROD PROD PROD. When he lies it's okay. When I lie... Well, you know how it goes.

Back to work! (WHIP!) :D

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Options
    ....just concerned, man. You haven't been around too much lately.

Troy
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Paul..you say the impedence are the same..what about the sensitivies...looks like they all droped 1... like the center from 91cb to 90 etc...