Opinions on the Theta Dreadnaught 5 channel Amplifier

nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,329
Looking to get a stand alone amp for the HT side of my rig, and I am in love with the way this amp looks physically,and on paper. The other option would be to go with the big 11 channel Yamaha. Just looking to see what you guys think of Theta.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,329
    No thoughts?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• delkaldelkal Posts: 170
    Would you need 11 channels? From my point of view unused channels just use up resources and complicate the audio path.
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,365
    edited April 15
    I was going to buy one locally last year. Due to space constraints it would have to be used for music as well. Great for HT, not so much for music.

This amp does look awesome.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

Memes are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,438
    I never heard one John. Back in the day they were well reviewed.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,249
    Theta is one of the amps I wanted years back. I say go for it even with the age. It's modular, and if a card blows then you still have channels available.

If the price is right, rockNroll
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,721
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Theta is one of the amps I wanted years back. I say go for it even with the age. It's modular, and if a card blows then you still have channels available.

If the price is right, rockNroll

That was always the big benefit with those being modular. Never heard one myself but always had great reviews and the fact they rarely come up for sale should tell ya somethin'.

HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac