Best subwoofer combination

Options
I recently purchased a set of Polk speakers - namely a pair of RTiA7s, a pair of RTiA3s, and a CSiA6. I've got a Denon AVR‑X3400H as my receiver (a bit low powered for the speakers I feel but I'll buy an amp once I have more cash) and the speakers sound amazing so far. However, I have yet to buy a sub and need some advice. While the system is going to be used as my home theater system, I am a music lover and listen to everything from hip-hop to death metal, bluegrass to jazz, punk to folk and this system is going to be used for music. I want something that will respond well to both low, drawn out rhythms, and furious blast-beats.

I suspect a smaller sub would work for harder, more rapid bass while a larger sub would work for slow, long beats. So, I was thinking of getting both a smaller 8" sub along with a 12" sub to try to get the best of both worlds. However there may also exist a great sub that is capable of handling both and I just don't know it. Right now, this is all guess work.

Any advice on a sub or set of subs that would give me a great sound? I don't have a ton of cash lying around, so cheaper is nice but I'm willing to spend a bit more if I have to for great sound.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Hello and welcome to club Polk.

For a sub you DO NOT need two different subs, you just need a good sub.

HSU and SVS are the way to go.
    http://hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html
    https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers

I have an HSU VTF3-MK5 and I listen to a lot of 70's and 80's rock. The 15" does very nice. My 18 year old son likes to get a speed metal rush before the gym, once again this subs performs great. When it comes to movies hold on the house shakes.

It all depends on budget. I say get the biggest baddest sub you can afford.

You do have a nice AVR but yes, after a sub is added a nice amp would be good.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Add Rythmik to your search. Another reasonably priced and good sub manufacturer.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Set your AVR to cross over at 80Hz to the sub and your speakers set to small. You won't need an amp that way and it'll leave you with more to spend on the sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    For what you're looking for, I would look at dual, sealed subs.

The SVS SB2000 is a great option. Blends nicely with speakers, great for music, fast and musical. But they can hit hard and low for HT use.