Audioquest Niagara and storm series power cables

mikeyb128
mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
edited April 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
I have the pleasure of borrowing an audioquest Niagara 7000 for next couple Of weeks, as well as a hurricane power cable to hook this giant beast to the wall.

This bad boy weighs In at around 90lbs! It’s friggen heavy! I was going to go the bryston bit route, with an audioquest tornado power cable. But my buddy at the audio store highly recommends the Niagara series power conditioner. He actually doesn’t like audioquest, but has been raving to me for quite sometime about this new power conditioner and their new power cables. So... naturally, I said, “ lend me one!”

Now this guys retails at 8000 usd. Which is tremendously above my budget. So In good faith I ordered a 5000. And I’m glad I did, the dual isolation transformers in this guy really buzz. I would be pissed if I shelled out 8000 bucks to get this loud of a buzz. I’m told the 5000 is quiet as a church mouse. And gets you 90% of the 7000’s sound. I’m cool with that!

I’ve done the unthinkable... I’ve plugged my bryston 4B3 into this beast, and for the first time I’m satisfied with an amp running off a power conditioner. There is zero loss of dynamics, and things sound very clean. The noise floor has dropped even further, which I didn’t think was possible. I’m told after a few days the 7000 will really shine. And it is broken in at the factory. This thing sound wonderful!
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    I tried to snap a few pics. I have temporarily installed this next to my rack while I wait for my 5000 to arrive. Did I mention it’s heavy? Holy carp...

0z8vkoc6hocf.jpeg
    10nm17qrx9dw.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    xah9x6co6r6g.jpeg
    5ddw9x8awaof.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    The hurricane is ridiculous! Those huge garden hose braided wires! They scream quality though, and so far sounding good. Will swap in my reference cord and decided if I go with the hurricane or not, it’s a little pricey. Check out those gorgeous ZU event power cables!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I'm gonna go on record to say that I think Bryston makes the very best possible amps for the money. I'm always shocked in the over all performance of all of their amps. I've installed some of the worlds highest end gear and Bryston still always impresses.
    I got Arcam on my short list right now.
    But to talk about the new audioquest power center, it's a crazy beast. I can't justify the cost as my system isn't high end enough to warrant such perfection, really it's my wallet can't support it. It's crazy badass and probably one of if not the best on the market of it's kind. If anyone can afford this beast, bless you my friend she's serious.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mikeyb128
    edited April 2018
    Hey Dan,

I was able To offset the cost of the niagara by selling a few items. So only half is coming out of My pocket. I want to note that the designer of the Niagara is a musician and former employee for furman, so the guy knows his stuff. The guys at the audio shop are saying the 5000 is the best conditioner for the money on the market right now.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Dude I'm loving the wall outlet plate! Where did you get that?
    y4h04u3xmwqg.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »

Man that thing is beefy! Looks like 4 attachment screws to the wall outlet box. Makes sense you need something like that for all those big honkin power cables!
    te971zbqbvzl.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    Garth Powell is the brains behind the Niagara 7000 etc and the new storm series.

I have not yet heard the Niagara power conditioner, I am sure it is superb.

It is a variant of the Furman Ref20i.

I have the Torus RM15 and there are many who believe that it edges out the Niagara in head to head but I have not yet confirmed. At $7999 for the 7000, that’s quite a bit of coin for a conditioner. I inquired about the 7000 and the dealer sold both the Niagara series and the Torus, they pushed me to the slightly lower cost Torus.

All I know is the RM15 spanked the Power Plant P5 that I had.

The storm series from what I’ve heard is a good power cord. Whether I move from my Audioquest Wel NRG to the Dragon (above the Hurricane) NRG is a function of a couple things:
    1. Money available for toys
    2. Craziness or altered mental status

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    The torus is the bryston bit 15, the guys at the shop like the audioquest better. And they support Canadian brands first and foremost, of course it’s system dependent. I’ve done a lot of research on the audioquest, I haven’t seen anywhere where people mention the 15 edging out the 7000. Oh well. I was using a core technology balanced power conditioner, and the audioquest certainly spanks it.

Please note I’m not buying the 7000. I’m getting the mulch cheaper 5000. I get a nice discount on it as well, So that helps.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    Congrats on the 5000, it is a nice piece for sure!

The fact that you’re committing that coin on the 5000 must mean that it sounds good, I didn’t want to spend that much so that goes to show how good the 5000 must be.

Make sure to separate the sound that you’re getting with the hurricane on it vs the cable you’ll be using.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    verb wrote: »

Man that thing is beefy! Looks like 4 attachment screws to the wall outlet box. Makes sense you need something like that for all those big honkin power cables!
    te971zbqbvzl.png

That sir is a titan wall plate. Got it new for 29.99! But retails for 129. And I use a furutech outlet. The cheaper one, I think it was 80 bucks for the gold plated version.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Mikey

Remind me your system again, top to bottom including cords etc
  • verb
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

te971zbqbvzl.png

That sir is a titan wall plate. Got it new for 29.99! But retails for 129. And I use a furutech outlet. The cheaper one, I think it was 80 bucks for the gold plated version.

Way cool! Smokin deal too! :smile:
  • mikeyb128
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Mikey

Remind me your system again, top to bottom including cords etc

Hey Joey,

Here’s the details:
    Cary SLP05 with revelation Audio umbilical
    Bryston 4B3
    Cembalo labs River DAC with Auralic Aries Femto streamer
    JL E110
    Focal Electra’s 1028BE2
    Nottingham space 294
    Rogue Audio Ares
    Nordost Heimdall 2 and Frey 2 cables
    Zu event PC and a friends proprietary PC giant killers.
    2 channel:
    Theater: