Fair price and desirable SDAs?

I feel like I have missed out by not owning a pair of Vintage SDAs and want to start doing a casual search but unclear on what is desirable and fairly priced. I am not very handy and not looking for a big project. These have been on SD CL for a long time.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/d/polk-audio-sda-speakers-crs/6546550909.html

Any thoughts on these or recommendations on which ones I should be seeking?

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Answer ✓
    if they are clean and work properly, offer him 500 and see what he says.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Answer ✓
    I'd take the 2B's and TL them. $500 is too high for stock ones though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Answer ✓
    The configuration determines what mods/upgrades are available.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Answer ✓
    I don’t know SDAs either. Is there a preference between blade-blade and blade-pin?

I think there's a preference around here for the pin/blade interconnect. This may be because with some of the blade/blade the crossover has more caps and higher value caps leading to higher cost for making upgrades/modifications. With either one, the current consensus seems to be to replace the sockets/cable with new ones using Neutrik.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Blade/blade also will never be able to use non-common ground or monobloc amps with a dreadnought.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Answer ✓
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Like EVERY seller of SDA-SRS 2s, you have to beg them to tell you if they're blade-blade or pin-blade, 'cause they don't have enough sense to properly describe them in the advertisement.

As said, they're all over-priced especially the 1A.

I don’t know SDAs either. Is there a preference between blade-blade and blade-pin?

The pin/blade versions can use the AI-1 or Dreadnought isolation transformer, which will allow one to use non-common ground, dual mono or mono block amps. The blade/blade version must use a common ground amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    Answer ✓
    Keep in mind speaker placement is very important with all SDA speakers & what you power them with also. Good luck
    Randy/Maine
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Answer ✓
    Hang in there @rburgess714 ! Lots of opportunities out there. Since my short tenure here, I acquired 2 sets of 1C's, one pretty stock, the other in the midst of a complete upgrade! Heck even the Polkies here buy/trade/swap em! Stick around! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    SRS2 would be my call out of all of them. That said, they are all way overpriced IMHO.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    SRS2 would be my call out of all of them. That said, they are all way overpriced IMHO.

That is probably why they have been listed for close to a year.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• rburgess714
    Thanks gents.
    Living Room

Office

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Like EVERY seller of SDA-SRS 2s, you have to beg them to tell you if they're blade-blade or pin-blade, 'cause they don't have enough sense to properly describe them in the advertisement.

• rburgess714
    Schurkey wrote: »

Living Room

Office