SDA SRS 3.1TL Packaging / Shipping

Options
Don't want to jinx the deal yet but I have the original owner down to $400 for his pair of 3.1TL's. This is mainly due to the damaged top cap of one speaker.0awb6dgfmgbc.jpg If this goes through, I'll need to ship these, having heard many horror stories on this forum, does anyone have any experience with Craters & Freighters ? About the only outfit I can find in the Phoenix area that will pickup, pack & ship anything. And what about shipping them standing up or laying down flat ? Thanks
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Flat on their backs is best...BUT truck drivers will put them on the truck which ever way they want.
    Good luck.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I’ve read on here that boxed and flat on their backs strapped to a pallet would be best.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Options
    Yes, I'm afraid of that. Wondered how critical the shipping position was for them, did they originally ship from the factory to dealers flat or are we just being extra careful to not rattle the drivers around due to their age ? I'd never heard of Craters & Freighters before googling for transporting electronic items and special packaging. Anybody else ever use their services?
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I’m sure it is mostly to help prevent magnet shift but they have no chance of moving around if on pallet.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • ThomasD
    Options
    The 3.1 are sized almost right for palletization @ 48". With crating they'll overhang but be supported well. Trucking companies love to put compact Pallets on the bottom of everything though. Trying to get a quote from C&F but they aren't too quick to respond yet. Have looked through the threads to see if anyone has just replaced their veneer caps with real wood ones but not finding any.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Guess I'd better amend that last statement. I did just find @verb 's thread where he's removing all panels and re-veneering. That's the look I prefer. All wood, less or no grill whatsoever. I'll be following that thread closely.
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    You could go this route with them.
    rotz1bsi97gf.jpg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• ThomasD
    Options
    Now That's what I like.!!!!
  • ThomasD
    Options
    @dkfreebird are those yours?
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    No,someone did those on here a little while back.I will try to find you the link.Mine are untouched and in the closet with a set of Larrys rings waiting to upgrade
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• dkfreebird
    Options
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• ThomasD
    Options
    Thanks
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    No problem.These are the ones I have.
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• ThomasD
    Options
    I see this SDA thing can become an addiction!! :):D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

Look at those beauties!!! Why would anyone want to mess with their timeless classic look!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Dennis... you're just wasting those rings. I'll come down and pick them up. No charge.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    Dennis... you're just wasting those rings. I'll come down and pick them up. No charge.

I thought you were throwing all your gear to the curb? I was gonna swing by and stock up on gear. :D
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• pitdogg2
    Options
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

You sir SUCK!!!!!

o:)o:)o:)
    Just kidding secretly I'm very jealous
  • dkfreebird
    edited April 2018
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

You sir SUCK!!!!!

Well,I owe it all to you enablers on this site. I was happy with my Bose Acoustimass until joining here.Now if I don’t need a dolly the speakers aren’t worth having. :p
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

You sir SUCK!!!!!

Well,I owe it all to you enablers on this site. I was happy with my Bose Acoustimass until joining here.Now if I don’t need a dolly the speakers aren’t worth having. :p

That explains the back surgery.....
    Lift with the knees, Dennis.
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

You sir SUCK!!!!!

Don’t forget the neck fusion 2 years earlier. :#
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• pitdogg2
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    2jn9zvy1qhkm.jpg

You sir SUCK!!!!!

Don’t forget the neck fusion 2 years earlier. :#

good god man do not use your neck to lift with....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    ThomasD wrote: »
    I see this SDA thing can become an addiction!! :):D

You have no idea... Yet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Don't want to jinx the deal yet but I have the original owner down to $400 for his pair of 3.1TL's. This is mainly due to the damaged top cap of one speaker.0awb6dgfmgbc.jpg If this goes through, I'll need to ship these, having heard many horror stories on this forum, does anyone have any experience with Craters & Freighters ? About the only outfit I can find in the Phoenix area that will pickup, pack & ship anything. And what about shipping them standing up or laying down flat ? Thanks

I used Craters & Freighters to ship 2 Viking refrigerator/freezer units (30" x 24" X 7' high) from the Midwest to Michigan. 500lbs each! They crated the platforms, and packaged em very well. You may have to wait a while as they ship only when their truck is full, so I waited about 3 weeks after purchase. The guy dollied them up to the driveway. For an extra 40 bucks they unpacked and moved em into the garage. Both items arrived in perfect condition!

Hope that helps! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    With an impact like that I would be worried about magnet shift already
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Guess I'd better amend that last statement. I did just find @verb 's thread where he's removing all panels and re-veneering. That's the look I prefer. All wood, less or no grill whatsoever. I'll be following that thread closely.

Thanks @ThomasD ! I just need to get off my arse and finish em! Spring is almost here so I'll be able to work out in the garage! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just be aware, Craters & Freighters are not cheap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I thought C&F were fair, they picked up 2-135lb amps from KenS crated and shipped from Maryland to Houston for $900
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ThomasD
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I thought C&F were fair, they picked up 2-135lb amps from KenS crated and shipped from Maryland to Houston for $900

Shipping a pair of Klipsch Heresy's from Arizona to Alaska through UPS was $500 so I kinda expect the price to be around $1000 +/-. Still waiting on C&F to get back with the quote. Just not finding many other options up here for SDA's. There is still the pair of SDA 2a/b's listed here in state. Just curious what kind of difference I could expect to hear in the sound stage between the 3.1TL's & SDA 2's(after a TL upgrade)?
    Anyone have or heard the two in a side by side comparison?
  • ThomasD
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just be aware, Craters & Freighters are not cheap.

@F1nut you are right about that! Just got the +$1800 quote. Don't think I can justify quite that much, dang it!!!! That's $2200 w/o any upgrades. $400 seems like a really great deal for the 3.1's. Would sure like to see someone get them who would really appreciate what they are. Is there anybody in the Phoenix vicinity that's interested ????