LSiM703 disassembly.

I have a damaged front panel on one of my 703's and wonder if it just pries off, or is there something hidden and I'm not seeing it. And does anyone know what a replacement costs?
Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    VR3 Posts: 21,877
    December 2013 edited December 2013
    LSiM-703

Plastic spoon/fork -

Midbass/Pry from the outside inwards, middle of gasket, will come off easy

Tweeter/Midrange - I pried very carefully under the midrange surround, the rubber is adhered on. There is a white piece behind it that has approx. 8 hidden screws that hold everything on.

There is a crossover at the top and bottom.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Oh I guess that is to remove the drivers. Sorry.
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    No problem. I just hope it pries off. If I can't get one, I can fix the broken one to the point it will be almost invisible. I think.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited May 2018
    @Kingrat I'm going to bump your old thread, so not to hijack that other thread we were talking in earlier.

I'm trying to find the thread I remember seeing, but I'm going to tag a couple people that have had the LSiM apart. I'm just not sure if they removed the front panel or noticed how it comes off.

@WLDock
    @VR3

Here are some instructions on removing the drivers, pretty much the same as above that Clipdat posted:
    Just a quick update. It was the tweeter that was bad, not the mid driver. Got a new one from Polk, popped it in, and I'm all set!

No real point in posting pics, once the rubber trim is removed, taking the actual drivers out is obvious.

The tricky part is removing the rubber trim. On the woofer (and I'd assume also on the passives), it pops right out and snaps securely back in place. Super easy. The trim around the mid/high array, however, has some adhesive holding it in, so it's a little tricky. As usual, having the proper tool makes all the difference, as you really don't want to scratch up the beautiful piano black finish. My tool of choice was the business end of a plastic spoon. I just pried one spot up with the spoon and then worked my way around pulling carefully with my fingers.

Before I started I was concerned that I'd hurt the rubber trim, but that was because I didn't realize how substantial that rubber actually is. It's thick, sturdy, and robust. You'd have to do something really stupid to rip it.

I'm not sure why there's adhesive on the mid/high array trim because it has a plastic backing that helps it snap into place similar to the woofer's trim. Anyway, once you know what you're doing, it's a quick, easy job.

Loving these speakers!:biggrin:

I did find this picture that may or may not show three screw heads underneath the driver holes. Hard to tell from pic.

yfcnc42775sb.jpg

You could always throw it against the floor:

drlk8428bs2s.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Gently pry away the rubber and there are screws. The tweeter pops out like the old rti style baffles.

Holy speaker damage though batman!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I never could find the thread I remember. I'm beginning to think it was on another forum. I remember someone taking a plastic spork and saying to pry the rubber back at the midpoint (center) with pictures and I thought there was also a picture showing the removal of the front acrylic panel. I just know it was on this forum.
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Thanks. I'm going to look over the speaker and decide if I want to mess with it or just patch it on the outside. You have to look very closely to even see it at all.
  • gaborv
    gaborv Posts: 1
    edited July 2021
    anyone knows the model number of the midwoofer for the LSiM703? And where to buy a replacement?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    That should be available at Polk via 1-800-377-7655 and they'll know what the part number is and availability.